Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

So, THIS little broken booger is what’s causing me troubles - NEVER would’ve guessed there’d be PLASTIC parts INSIDE my engine, but HERE it IS.

It DID last a LONG time, but STILL - think I could’ve gotten LOTS more miles out of the engine if it weren’t for this little BIT of plastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And how many miles is a long time? And what was the symptoms of why you tore it down?!?!?,
35,350 miles - took it to the dealer to get the thermostat swapped and the SLIGHT ticking from the engine fixed.

Here’s what the rest of the motor looks like, torn down:

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
I thought you were puttin a new motor and trans in when you did the frame swap?

·
Registered
44 Posts
What Oil are you using.? Engine doesn't look like much wear. What else are you going to replace?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What Oil are you using.? Engine doesn't look like much wear. What else are you going to replace?
Amsoil - warranty inspector still has to look at it. Not sure what’s gonna get swapped YET.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
its under warranty? Looks like both clips are broken off the chain guide

·
Registered
44 Posts
Amsoil - warranty inspector still has to look at it. Not sure what’s gonna get swapped YET.

Forgot to ask how often you changed oil. I was going with 100 hrs. but it looks pretty dark with the XPS stuff. Dealer claims they think it's great oil but I'm going to switch to Amsoil.

I once had a plastic trans dip stick break off on a Harley. I heard it grind thru the gears. The oil had brass looking flakes in it so decided to tear trans down but don't think I had too.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Hey Al, did you take any measurements for wear?
That would be good data to have, like bores, pistons, rings, bearings, cams, crank, etc.

What was the main brand of gas that you used?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Forgot to ask how often you changed oil. I was going with 100 hrs. but it looks pretty dark with the XPS stuff. Dealer claims they think it's great oil but I'm going to switch to Amsoil.

I once had a plastic trans dip stick break off on a Harley. I heard it grind thru the gears. The oil had brass looking flakes in it so decided to tear trans down but don't think I had too.
It MAYBE got to 100 hours ONCE before swapping oil and filters - most times, it was way sooner...whenever the oil started looking a little dirty.

Before LONG trips, it’d get swapped several times in the week before leaving just to flush it and make sure it was AS clean as it could be.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey Al, did you take any measurements for wear?
That would be good data to have, like bores, pistons, rings, bearings, cams, crank, etc.

What was the main brand of gas that you used?
I didn’t take any measurements or even notice what brand of gas was going in - not sure what the dealer did, besides a leak-down/compression test before they tore it down; it was all “within specs” they said.

Except for the broken plastic guide and a lifter, it LOOKED perfect inside - still see the machining marks inside the cylinders, but I’ll check to see if/what measurements they took.

·
Registered
378 Posts

So, THIS little broken booger is what’s causing me troubles - NEVER would’ve guessed there’d be PLASTIC parts INSIDE my engine, but HERE it IS.

It DID last a LONG time, but STILL - think I could’ve gotten LOTS more miles out of the engine if it weren’t for this little BIT of plastic.
Most ALL cars have plastic timing chain guides now.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts