Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about engine temp. My ride has about 60 miles on it and I am continuously noticing the temp gauge being higher than what I THINK it should be considering the current ambient air temp where I live. For example, this weekend, trail riding at fairly slow speeds, and 70 degree outside temp, I noticed my gauge was constantly getting up to 3/4 way or higher. The fan would come on and drop it to about 3-4 bars, so maybe about 1/3rd of the way up the gauge. Now my opinion is that if it is running that warm with it 70 degrees out, when we're hitting 90-100 degree Georgia days, it's gonna overheat quickly, especially hammering it on fast trail rides. I haven't been in mud or even a heavily dusty environment yet so I know the radiator fins aren't clogged.

So, all that to ask my question: Where does the temp gauge normally run at? Could this be that the cooling system needs to be bled even though it's literally 2 months old? It's been doing it since I got it. If so, where can I find a freebie service manual download for a 2014?

Thanks!
Buster

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Fan doesn't come on til around 205°F. thermostat is 160°F I'd say yours is normal.
My reflash turns fan on at 167°F, keeps it around 2-3bars

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
It should also go into limp mode before it gets too hot to cause any damage.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where's a good place to get a marine gauge that won't break the bank? I creek ride a lot so I need something that can handle getting a bit wet.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
mines never been past half way

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Mines has been as high as 5 bars, but I think there is either 7 or 8 bars total.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I have a temp gauge and even when the temps are down in the 30's my gauge will hit temps around 200'. If you are not cruising along and getting airflow across the radiator, it will heat up regardless of the outside temps....just listen to your fan if you don't have a gauge and if it cycles on and off and isn't on constantly, you are ok....but get a gauge so you can monitor it....

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So where to get a decent gauge that is waterproof and not insanely expensive?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Im sure UTV inc has kits available on their website

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They just have automotive ones which won't be waterproof. That's the first place I looked.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
I have a temp gauge and even when the temps are down in the 30's my gauge will hit temps around 200'. If you are not cruising along and getting airflow across the radiator, it will heat up regardless of the outside temps....just listen to your fan if you don't have a gauge and if it cycles on and off and isn't on constantly, you are ok....but get a gauge so you can monitor it....
I've run it in the high desert when it was in the upper 20's, and run it in the dunes when it was almost 100'. Mine runs about 200' no matter the ambient temp.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Interesting.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts

·
Registered
2019 max R turbo
846 Posts
I use simple 14.00 gauges at auto zone for 3 years now and never have I sent more than 190 or 3 bars...typically it runs at 175 n under hard 80+ temps at the dunes or 100+ temps in Az I might see 190 or 3 bars. ..ignore amos turn me on how to remove the thermostat n increase the water flow

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Any issues with water when washing your unit?

·
Registered
2019 max R turbo
846 Posts
nope

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Do those come with a sending unit? What is the I/d on the hose?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts