Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

Engine Start Problems!!! or start motor?!!

16K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Tmesic 
#1 · (Edited)
Engine Start Problems!!! Starter motor?!!

Dear Co-Owners.

Unfortunately my 170km Maverick Max wont start. It isn't starting out well but I really hope that this is only a minor issue. My family and me were on the way and stopped at a restaurant (we use it mostly on the road because its road legal over here). We leaved an hour later the engine did start but it wasn't a healthy sounding start. On the way in the beginning we heard a really weird sound from the engine compartment. The sound was similar as to when your car picks up a plastic bag and takes it on for a short time. Then the sound became more hear able and the sound was like a washer rattling bellow a screw but only at a certain rpm. When we arrived home and try to start it to check were the sound came from the engine did not start. Maintenance Required warning on the head dash. It seems that the starter motor wont turn the engine because you can hear it spinning but it feels unattached somehow. I didnt touch anything yet because full warranty is still active. Did anybody have the same problem!!!!!!!

#2 ·
I had a similar issue but I had no noises. It was the starter that just died! It would be worth checking out.

#3 ·
Dear Co-Owners.

Unfortunately my 170km Maverick Max wont start. It isn't starting out well but I really hope that this is only a minor issue. My family and me were on the way and stopped at a restaurant (we use it mostly on the road because its road legal over here). We leaved an hour later the engine did start but it wasn't a healthy sounding start. On the way in the beginning we heard a really weird sound from the engine compartment. The sound was similar as to when your car picks up a plastic bag and takes it on for a short time. Then the sound became more hear able and the sound was like a washer rattling bellow a screw but only at a certain rpm. When we arrived home and try to start it to check were the sound came from the engine did not start. Maintenance Required warning on the head dash. It seems that the starter motor wont turn the engine because you can hear it spinning but it feels unattached somehow. I didnt touch anything yet because full warranty is still active. Did anybody have the same problem!!!!!!!
Hoping it is just a starter for you. Not liking the description on the plastic bag, or metallic rattle noise. This can mean of course bad things for the engine. Its under warranty which is a great thing! I would get it into the dealer asap and have them diagnose the problem so you can get back to riding ASAP! Let us know what the prognosis is on this machine after they figure out what is going on with it!

#5 ·
sorry to hear about your problems.....good thing you have a warranty. Please let us know what the mechanic says...

#6 ·
what year maverick ? there was a starter recall for 2013's

#8 ·
its ok they will get u all fixed up tmaro !

#9 ·
Dear Maverick Co-Owners.
The Problems has been solved. My suspicion were correct. The starter electric motors screw which holds it in place came undone. They weren't screwed on properly in the factory so the starter motor just fell of. The Electric Cable was holding on to the motor and the screws were lost. Brp solved the problem under warranty replaced the screws problem was solved quickly. Brp technicians came to my home and fixed it without any delay, all they had to do is go for the screws.
Im very happy and I hope there will be no other problems.

#11 ·
good to hear they got you all fixed up so quickly.......yea, I wish they made house calls in the U.S.!

#13 ·
Looks like you have to move to Thailand....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.