Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I need some clarification here!! When at 1/4 throttle my maverick has a lot of noise coming from the engine compartment.. almost sounds like valves rattling. Took it to the dealer and they sad its prob the gas I'm running.. I run 93 octane.. even tried a blend of 116/93... at idle and wot its not noticeable.. anyone else have this noise.. and I know for sure its not the clutch..

·
Registered
100 Posts
I think it's the exhaust rattling the way the mufflers are mounted through those rubber grommets is dumb! I know what you hear cause mine does it too.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Take the covers off and put seats back in. Then have someone ride with you around and try to pinpoint where the source is.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know for sure its in the engine compartment... towards the front of the vehicle... some say its the throttle bodies.. sounds like a valve rattle to me... only at cruising speed though.. engine runs fine no power loss no missing or stalling... the tech at the dealer drove it and said its the gas I'm running... he said that with 12:1 commpression the ethanol gas we have just won't cut it... think I'm just gonna run her till she blows. Then its all in brp's hands!!!!!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Mine starts at around 4400 rpm's.... But don't do it all the time just most of the time...
Sounds like the connecting rod is getting ready to come out the side....

If I find it i'll post it... I will look till I figure it out...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's the noise I'm talking about.. at about 4400 rpm is right.. didn't want to say it but it does sound like a rod knocking.. but I've got 25hrs on mine and its done it since it rolled off the show room floor... I run the sh%# out of this thing too. If it was gonna sling a rod it probably already would have....

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Mine does it also but it sounds more like a vibration than a connecting rod or valves. It seems to be coming from the front. It actually sound's like a panel vibrating against the frame.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Mine has a little pre ignition, detonation, knock, or rattle (whatever you want to call it) when I dune. Happens as I tip in and out of the throttle while dune'n. If that's what you hear, it does have knock sensors that cut a little timing to avoid engine damage.

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
It's fine all the rotaxs in the commanders and quads make some king of rattle noise around that rpm I wouldn't worry about it there's not many posts about the rotax motors coming apart since 2006 when the quads came
Out

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
10/4 thanks guys.. I'm gonna run it like I stole it. O and by the way this thing doesn't even realize its got 30's on it!!!!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Will be interesting to see what happens when someone actually figures out what this noise is. I don't think it's anything to worry about the line doesn't too. Sounds like the exhaust rattling on the frame.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I found on my commander it was the double wall exhaust pipe that runs beside the clutch cover. Near the rear of the front pipe it goes back to a single pipe, and right there is where the rattle was coming from. A two dollar muffler clamp will fix the rattle.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
with stock clutch?? You run aggressive 30"
Yeah 30" radial outlaws.. stock clutch haven't had a prob yet.. run in low on any hills rocks mud.. really dose well.. prob change the primary and secondary later on.. but after dropping 18+ on this machine kind of hard to drop another 1500 in it. Belts are cheap... plus running 60 mph and still break the wheels loose is pretty impressive.. o and the 30" radial law is the best tire I've ever run on a sxs ATV hands down..

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
did you turn your shocks up? i like the looks of those 30s, im running the old 29.5s
yeah about 3/4 of the way.. but its cleared the 30's fine before.rides not as good though. Prob gonna go with the 3" bracket lift from super ATV and back the shocks off. I've only got them turned up for ground clearance.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts