Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know guys don't bash me for posting. I've searched not much luck. and there is not another Can am around for 20miles so I cant really compare. One thing that did catch me off guard with the Maverick is the engine noise, test driving one, I never really payed much att to how loud the engine is while driving, I know there are some things I can do to get some major sound deadening and help a lot!! But that's a totally different subject. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, But Can am is a new world to me, I'm used to popo's and they are a completely different sounding engine. I didn't really notice this until the second time I rode it, but it almost sound like a "Tick" coming from the motor maybe valve/lifter, Of course you can hear it mainly through the gear selector opening. I'm only at 5hrs so I haven't done a valve check yet. Maybe its just the nature of the beast. I'm not for sure. Its really not extremely loud, but I can hear it. Should I go ahead and check valves this early? Run it back to the dealer?? Or is a slight tick from motor normal?
Here is a sound clip from phone, I held it close to the gear selector to try and pick up the sound the best I could
https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/13255886425/

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Sounds normal to me. Mine did the same thing until I did a heat shield of the entire engine compartment and now I really don't hear it at all.

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
Thanks for searching first.

You will hear more engine noises because the engine is between the seats not behind you like other sxs.

Also, I noticed the noise go away a little a After I adjusted the valves.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Likely to be the sound of the primary clutch arms chattering, mine sounded the same with standard primary, you won't hear it on the polaris as it's all behind you.

From ' The Land Down Under ' .

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
Likely to be the sound of the primary clutch arms chattering, mine sounded the same with standard primary, you won't hear it on the polaris as it's all behind you.

From ' The Land Down Under ' .
yeah, if you ever get STM clutches its like a coffee can full of marbles at idle.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Haha, Yeah, the first night I had it out was with the Polaris's,, Just let the dual exhaust talk to them in the back!! Like I said, I did search, didn't find anything on this, so figured I'd post so other people new to Can Am's know what to expect, also what are and are not normal sounds! I ordered the thermo-tec to cover panels, and may also do the foam in the gear selector. That's mainly for the actual engine noise itself. It sounds more on the top, not really the side, but not to say it couldn't be primary, Does the primary rattle kinda sound like valve tick? does this slight "tick sound" normal on your machines? Just normal engine sound??

·
Registered
150 Posts
Mine does the same! If you take the clutch cover off the ticking becomes louder. So I'm guessing that it's the primary

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Yup mine is the same way i bet your hearing the primary. It makes a ticking sound at idle. Drove me crazy at first now i pay no attention to it.

·
Registered
292 Posts
The stock primary makes alot of noise. Especially at idle. I put exhaust on mine. Problem solved.

Reactions: charlot

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the reassurance! Its hard to pinpoint. Maybe when I pull covers off for service i'll try to hear little better as to where its coming from. It does sound a bit more from the drivers seat, so being the primary wouldn't surprise me! I just wanted to make sure its a normal thing among other mavericks! This is a Great site with lots of helpful people, thanks for not flaming me, Hope someone else in my shoes will search and maybe read this one day!!
It did worry me some as I am breaking this thing in pretty hard! Good hot heat cycles, then letting it cool before I go out and work it hard again. I am a firm believer in how you break them in, making sure they get plenty hot before a cool down. From reading and research, and as well from friends experiences.. My father is into "bush planes", He has one as well as a lot of his friends! I was talking with him about breaking in engines. As I know some planes use Rotax engines! He was telling about a friend that had a engine rebuilt on a plane, it wasn't a rotax, but a continental. After a few months of running it, it started to used oil. Long story short, he didn't work the engine hard enough during break in. The rings didn't seat well and aloud it to burn oil. After talking with people and researching, that was the problem, he really needed to run it harder, One thing that was mentioned about the rotax aircraft engines, They say you really run them hard to seat them in well. So whether its right or not, I'm running this thing pretty good!! That's why I had a little concern about it being valves, if I was a little too hard haha

·
Registered
548 Posts
Mine makes some noise that kinda sounds like valve clatter, and at first it drove me mental. I have since accepted It as nothing to be concerned with, and just give the right pedal a stab to drown it all out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts