Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
No problem, this can be very frustrating and why we have these forums.

Battery, 3 post terminal on passenger side tunnel, solenoid, frame.

Also check the fuel vent line that enters your frame above the left rear wheel, they sometimes get kinked.
only thing I got done to it is a blow off valve. It’s been on there since day one. But just hoping it’s a small fix. I feel for you man. It’s a terrible feeling

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did you hit the rev limiter for long? Also, you can pull the vacuum hose off your BOV and let the factory one work... then see if the code clears. If it does, you might have something hooked up wrong.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Did you hit the rev limiter for long? Also, you can pull the vacuum hose off your BOV and let the factory one work... then see if the code clears. If it does, you might have something hooked up wrong.
Kinda hard to hook up a BOV wrong lol ive put them on before. But Na, never hit the rev limiter like that.

·
Registered
9,185 Posts
I would bet money it is your belt. Change that first.
I would agree. A smoked belt will cause the misfire codes.

I would also still check the plugs as I bet they are caked with the white paste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Robert5855

·
Registered
31 Posts
2020 X3 max xrs turbo rr. Engine light came on with codes p0301 p0302 p0303. Misfire in all 3 cylinders. Also went into limp mode. If I change the spark plugs out and that was the problem, will the codes clear and engine light go off? Or will I need the dealer to clear them out and the check engine light? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
So, I bought my 2018 X3 XRS Turbo R at the very end of '18 and for my first 3 rides I had issues with it running great, then going into limp mode with engine light, then back and forth. I took it back to the dealer after each ride for the problem. When I took it back the 3rd time, I said when you think you have it fixed, take it out and run it hard. I don't want to do this again. I also told them I had read about spark plug issues with some X3's straight from the factory. And that's what it was... the plugs have sealant applied to the threads (looks like teflon tape but it's sprayed on). Some of the rides had their plugs sprayed with sealant all the way down the threads..should only be part way down the threads...because the plug has to ground to the head. And that intermittent loss of the plug ground is what was causing the machine to go into limp mode. New plugs with the sealant brushed off part way and it's a problem free ride. It went to intermittent problems every ride to no problems whatsoever in many rides since. I know mine wasn't the only one, because I had read about others and new to have them check the plug sealant application. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
So, I bought my 2018 X3 XRS Turbo R at the very end of '18 and for my first 3 rides I had issues with it running great, then going into limp mode with engine light, then back and forth. I took it back to the dealer after each ride for the problem. When I took it back the 3rd time, I said when you think you have it fixed, take it out and run it hard. I don't want to do this again. I also told them I had read about spark plug issues with some X3's straight from the factory. And that's what it was... the plugs have sealant applied to the threads (looks like teflon tape but it's sprayed on). Some of the rides had their plugs sprayed with sealant all the way down the threads..should only be part way down the threads...because the plug has to ground to the head. And that intermittent loss of the plug ground is what was causing the machine to go into limp mode. New plugs with the sealant brushed off part way and it's a problem free ride. It went to intermittent problems every ride to no problems whatsoever in many rides since. I know mine wasn't the only one, because I had read about others and new to have them check the plug sealant application. Hope it helps.
Wish that had been my problem....? Missed so many riding opportunities lost so much money with all my issues, still not known to be resolved.

For those cleaning plugs it's sometimes better to just replace them as that anti seize can really corrode those fine iridium electrodes. You also need to clean out the threads in the cylinder head real good, best way is to take a good porous rag wrapped around a screwdriver and spray some carb cleaner on it. It will take several passes to clean well.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Mine ended up being the belt. Changed it out with a new OEM belt, haven’t had the problem since. Thanks everyone.

·
Premium Member
7,442 Posts
Wish that had been my problem....? Missed so many riding opportunities lost so much money with all my issues, still not known to be resolved.

For those cleaning plugs it's sometimes better to just replace them as that anti seize can really corrode those fine iridium electrodes. You also need to clean out the threads in the cylinder head real good, best way is to take a good porous rag wrapped around a screwdriver and spray some carb cleaner on it. It will take several passes to clean well.
How long has yours been working trouble free?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
How long has yours been working trouble free?
Haven't had a chance to put more than 50 miles on it since the last fix with the actuator solenoid so don't know for sure.
I hope to get out on the property and the back roads in the next day or two for some more riding since it's starting to dry out. Too busy with all weekends eaten up to get down to the coast the past several months along with my trailer being used to move my gal. Keeping my finger crossed.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just got a new 2020 X3 RS and took it out for the second time and it gave me the same check engine light, error codes and limp mode, the Machine only has 57 miles on it, I did add the Baja designs onX6, Xprite chase light bar, harnesses, and Rockford Fosgate stage 5. It Just happens about 2 hours ago so I haven’t been able to check anything

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
gas is the most likely cause
time to get a code reader/clearing tool
going to the stealer for a stupid code sucks

·
Registered
48 Posts
Mine ended up being the belt. Changed it out with a new OEM belt, haven’t had the problem since. Thanks everyone.
Called the dealer I bought it from
And they said to change out the belt as well, how did yours look because I took mine off and nothing looks wrong with it.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Have you checked the gas? Doubt it’s your belt unless you don’t know how to drive with a cvt. I’d put money on water in the gas. With all the covid crap that was and is going on travel was pretty much halted. Meaning gas was not used as it normally is. Hence you got ahold of some bad gas. It happen to me. Pull the fuel pump and look

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Another is to check the vent tube for kinks, known issue where it goes into the frame above the left rear wheel.
Check grounds..
Check battery voltage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2020 X3 max xrs turbo rr. Engine light came on with codes p0301 p0302 p0303. Misfire in all 3 cylinders. Also went into limp mode. If I change the spark plugs out and that was the problem, will the codes clear and engine light go off? Or will I need the dealer to clear them out and the check engine light? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
I have a 2020 xrc and having the same problem. We’re you able to figure out what the issue was?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I have a 2020 xrc and having the same problem. We’re you able to figure out what the issue was?
Welcome to the forum, sorry to hear they can be a bugger for sure.
Did you happen to read this thread? There's a lot and I believe other links.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts