Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing a temp gauge and the instructions say to ground the gauge to an engine ground as close to the sending unit as possible and ground the sending unit to the frame. Obviously the frame ground is an easy one. But, where the hell do you find an engine ground?

Thanks!
Buster

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Just put a meter on a frame ground point and the engine and make sure you are reading less than 1 ohm resistance and you will be fine. You don't necessarily have to put the ground on the engine as long as you have a good common ground.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I've got it grounded good now. The problem I'm having is that periodically the digital gauge goes nuts and starts throwing random numbers. Then it settles down for a few minutes and works correctly but then starts acting up again. I don't know if it's a bad sender or what it could be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
could be a few things....bad connection or loose ground on either the sending unit or gauge, signal line could be loose or shorting to ground. Make sure it isn't laying across one of the ignition wires.... low operating voltage or faulty sending unit or even gauge.

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
There is an unused boss on the engine, drivers side between the jugs, that's where I ended up. Think I used a 5mm screw .80 pitch

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts