Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I have an original 2013 black and yellow can am Maverick 1000 XRS that I'm hoping to get a little help with. I Went riding this past weekend, it ran great as always until it started to "cut out and in" while excelerating. It does not die it simply cuts out and in. It does it at different speeds, sometimes I can go faster than others. It ldles fine, starts up fine, even revs up to 6-8K RPM without cutting out. I also tried to pull codes and it says no active faults detected....has anybody experienced this ??? Any ideas what it could be ?? Any suggestions ?? Thanks in advanced for your help

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
change spark plugs

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
A sketchy seat belt override plug did that exactly to my Commander years ago. Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A sketchy seat belt override plug did that exactly to my Commander years ago. Good luck!
I was thinking the same thing..... I'm going to try that....thanks for confirming what I was thinking (y)
Any other thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated....keep em coming.....PLEASE 😀

·
Premium Member
14,140 Posts
Welcome from Tucson AZ. Thinking bad plugs, bad gas. Change both.

Reactions: Mudskipper

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome from Tucson AZ. Thinking bad plugs, bad gas. Change both.
Hi Guys, today I took the seatbelt bypass off, cut the wire and twisted the two wires together....still does the same thing....I just did a full service, new plugs, changed oil & filter, put a new belt, changed the gear oil in the front & rear differential & gear box bought a new air filter cleaned the unifilter part...This thing should be ready to rock and roll.....And its not !! 😰 maybe coil or spark plug wires ??

·
Premium Member
14,140 Posts
Hi Guys, today I took the seatbelt bypass off, cut the wire and twisted the two wires together....still does the same thing....I just did a full service, new plugs, changed oil & filter, put a new belt, changed the gear oil in the front & rear differential & gear box bought a new air filter cleaned the unifilter part...This thing should be ready to rock and roll.....And its not !! 😰 maybe coil or spark plug wires ??
Check something simple, all grounds, especially the battery.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've seen spark plug boots arc out on the head before. A simple thing to try is running it in a dark place and look for spark going where it isn't suppose to.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Another simple test is running a spare wire from the engine direct to the battery. Sometimes grounds can look good but are corroded or broken inside the casing. This is a big issue for us up here in the rust belt.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Did you do this work before or after it started cutting in and out?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Have you replaced the gas with new gas ?
A couple other things ….possible issue with the fuel pump . I’d also change the plug wires, you may an issue with them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've seen spark plug boots arc out on the head before. A simple thing to try is running it in a dark place and look for spark going where it isn't suppose to.
I have been hearing a ticking noises, haven't located where it's coming from.....that's a great suggestion....I'm going to try that.....Thank You (y)(y)(y)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Have you replaced the gas with new gas ?
A couple other things ….possible issue with the fuel pump . I’d also change the plug wires, you may an issue with them.
I was thinking of just changing the coil and spark plug wires....The gas is fresh, I looked down the gas cap to see if there was any debris in the gas tank, and I didn't see anything looked pretty clean, from what I can see anyways.....I think what I'm going to do is utube how to to test the coil, and how to test the fuel pump....go from there...

·
Premium Member
14,140 Posts
Great question....It started after the work...
Confused? I thought this was going on before you did anything? Did I miss something?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts