Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats your guys take on this...I fried the bearing on my STM primary and had to send it back..(oh well shit happens) and now i am thinking about going to the two way bearing....does this eliminate the engine breaking completely??? if your running the 2 way how do you like it???

·
Registered
545 Posts
whats your guys take on this...I fried the bearing on my STM primary and had to send it back..(oh well shit happens) and now i am thinking about going to the two way bearing....does this eliminate the engine breaking completely??? if your running the 2 way how do you like it???
Have a Rage6 w/2 way bearing. It has clutch engagement - aka engine braking down to about 5 mph. Work just fine on dunes, rocks, trails, racing etc.

·
Registered
228 Posts
My stm rage 3 burnt the bearing up also with 200 miles,had to send it back also,,,So why are the bearing burning up like that

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have the 2 way in STM rage 3 and I have engine breaking down to 5/10mph then it will free wheel. I like it that way better.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I'm still running stock setup & cant believe how much braking the stock clutch has coming down a hill....I need a clutch set up!
I like the engine brake coming down hill. Mine starts to free wheel at 10 mph. If I don't feather the pedal, when I reach the bottom and give it some gas it slaps my head back hard. Sucks! I've got the qsc and STM secondary.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I like the engine brake coming down hill. Mine starts to free wheel at 10 mph. If I don't feather the pedal, when I reach the bottom and give it some gas it slaps my head back hard. Sucks! I've got the qsc and STM secondary.
Are you in high gear or low gear? If you are disengaging at 10mph, it sounds like high gear..... I had the one way bearing and it smoked the inside ribs on my OEM belt on the first ride. I am now running a 2 way bearing and prefer it. I can free wheel if I so choose or just tap the throttle to re-engage the EB. However, I would highly recommend to not freewheel at high speeds over long distances as the bearing wasn't designed for that and will most likely burn it up over time.

Mine will EB in high down to around 10MPH unless the hill is too steep and then it actually starts to speed up unless I use the foot brake. In low it will EB down to around 4MPH and will hold speed on any decline I have been on so far.....

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
hee, I must have engine braking, some of the high very steep grades I ride in the mountains, nothing else is as important to me. especially when your at top looking down...lol

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
haha, I hear ya.....when you are looking down and have a sphincter full of vinyl, you want to make sure you have the ability to brake.....for me, when it is that steep, the last thing I want to do though is touch the throttle......I will ride the left pedal until I am comfortable and then tap the gas if I know I am going fast enough for it to engage.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Heavy, I purchased my clutch and secondary in April. Waited a month and installed by dealer in May. Is the two way bearing better than the one? It's in the shop now for the starter recall. He said that he'd take some pictures as to what I have spring wise for the primary and secondary. When I get it back, I'll have to dig into it my self and see what I have. Gonna be nervous as I'm not a clutch man by any means putting in together. Also running a gen 1 secondary. Much difference between the 1 or a gen 2?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Heavy, I purchased my clutch and secondary in April. Waited a month and installed by dealer in May. Is the two way bearing better than the one? It's in the shop now for the starter recall. He said that he'd take some pictures as to what I have spring wise for the primary and secondary. When I get it back, I'll have to dig into it my self and see what I have. Gonna be nervous as I'm not a clutch man by any means putting in together. Also running a gen 1 secondary. Much difference between the 1 or a gen 2?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you have been running it with a one-way bearing since May and hadn't had any problems, you probably wouldn't benefit from a 2 way bearing setup. Ask your dealer to look at the underside of your belt and your one way bearing. If the belt is burnt or there is rubber on the one-way, you would probably be better off with a 2 way bearing then or you will need to be more conscious about not letting it coast when the primary is disengaged....I am not sure what the differences are between the gen I and gen II STM secondaries but was told the changes were made to improve the engine braking.....shoot KRIS a message and he can give you the pro's and con's about each and then you can make an educated decision.

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
two way bearing for me. I like the feeling of the clutches disengauging and me controlling the brakes. Less heat in the belt with the two way bearing also.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
two way bearing for me. I like the feeling of the clutches disengauging and me controlling the brakes. Less heat in the belt with the two way bearing also.
Good point...

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
if you rode a few of the trails I ride, especially a couple I ride in montana, you would want the engine brake guaranteed. one fall is 2000 feet in less than 1/2 mile. brutal. would burn the small brakes right up. depends on riding style,, 14-24 grades, one spot about 400 feet long with a narrow winding path and a 1000 foot drop on one side is a near straight down ride and with 4 adults in a heavier 4 seater, next time im up there im going to film that ride.. its incredible, but makes you wonder why your here. your ass is sore from puckering so hard for days...lol..

·
Registered
548 Posts
The only reason I haven't changed to STM clutches is because I like the stock engine braking so much. There is a lot of really steep rocky hills where I ride, and I love that I can just lift off the throttle and crawl down anything without touching the brake pedal or having to blip the throttle to keep the engine braking engaged.

·
Registered
162 Posts
The only reason I haven't changed to STM clutches is because I like the stock engine braking so much. There is a lot of really steep rocky hills where I ride, and I love that I can just lift off the throttle and crawl down anything without touching the brake pedal or having to blip the throttle to keep the engine braking engaged.
Ditto here.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts