1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Vendor
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the NEW EMP Battery Box. We have them on sale on our Website now:
XDS Turbo Full Size Battery Box

Can-Am Maverick X DS (Turbo) Full Size Battery Box

· Fits: 2015 Maverick X DS (Turbo models only)
· P/N: EMP- 12901
· Holds a Full Size car/marine Battery.
· Dimensions for battery 9-7/8” x 7-1/8” x 6-1/2”
· (2) Top post battery lugs included (see picture).
· Laser Cut and CNC formed.
· Made from 11 ga (1/8”) thick American Steel.
· Powder Coated-Black.
· Mounts under the hood with Self Tapping screws.
· Made In Cleveland Ohio.
Now, you can add a full size (34/78) battery to your XD S. This heavy duty battery tray fits under the hood of your Maverick XD S (Turbo). It attaches to the frame with self-tapping screws provided making installation very easy, simple and fast. It is pictured with an Optima 34/78-980 Red Top battery (not included) you can use any 34/78 series battery. Also, included is battery lugs to adapt from a top post battery to a 5/16” stud.

·
Premium Member
6,939 Posts
You should not use the two batteries. This should replace your old battery. two different sizes of batteries will fight each other.

I hooked my ground up to the bolt under the dash that the original battery hooks to then I ran a 4 gauge battery wire to the positive battery lead on the Can Am and used a bolt and heavy gauge heat shrink. The original ground I never unhooked from the original battery, but the positive cable I did. Tim

CAN AM BATTERY.jpg

Reactions: TeamFASMotorsports

·
Registered
139 Posts
Just be careful if you run those big batteries low it will put a lot of strain on the stator windings they will get hot real fast I've seen the insulator melt on the windings and bye bye stator. I think the stator is rated for 620 watts which is approx 52 amps at 12 volts. A battery that size will draw a lot of power for a long time to get charged up again. Cars have alternators SxS don't.

·
Premium Member
6,939 Posts
Just be careful if you run those big batteries low it will put a lot of strain on the stator windings they will get hot real fast I've seen the insulator melt on the windings and bye bye stator. I think the stator is rated for 620 watts which is approx 52 amps at 12 volts. A battery that size will draw a lot of power for a long time to get charged up again. Cars have alternators SxS don't.
That is accurate. I keep mine on a trickle charger to help avoid that. Tim

Reactions: crazzyjoey

·
Registered
6 Posts
Myth 1: "You should not use the two batteries. Two different sizes of batteries will fight each other."

This is wrong. yes, there will flow a very small current between a setup of one small, and one large, paralell coupled batteries, but unless you plan to store your vehicle for extencive periods of time, 8-9 months+ (in witch case you would most likely disconnect or demount your battery anyways) or use a wastly larger battery, lets say like one 10amp and one 900amp this current will impose no effect.

Myth 2: "you should not run large batteries because this will fry the stator windings"

Wrong. A battery is an energy bank, and does not behave like a load, on the electrical system. it does not "suck energy" from the "charger" it only "fills up" with its provided energy. If you say you have experienced melted stator windings this is most likely incorrectly coupled batteries, a bad regulator, or you have an issue with your short-time consumption. Be aware that for instance a 4000lb warn winch, can pull more than 150 amps under heavy strains (for instance while stuck in a mudhole)

If you in this case have a battery that is under-charged this entire load will be pulled trough the stator, if you have your engine running. as a matter of fact: the larger battery you have, the less chance you have to burn your stator. the drawback is that it takes longer time for a large battery to charge if you only use the vehicle engine to charge it. so the morale is: keep your battery on maintenance charge =)

Personally i would never have the engine running (to provide current to my battery) while wiching out of a mudhole, if i hear the winch cry for mercy.

Myth 3: "if you connect one large, and one small battery together, the small battery wil be fully charged before the large one and overcharge"

Wrong again: if paralell coupled, the batteries will act as "one unit" and become fully charged at the same time

a good rule is: Keep your batteries on a small charger, this will prolong their lifetime, and maybe save you from a few supprises =)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts