Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am curious about a couple of items in the wiring. Behind the dash center there are at least two connectors just hanging there, one on a very short set of wires obviously intended for another rocker switch for the last empty rocker slot and is the green one in the first photo and is actually plugged onto dummy electrical blades molded into this extra rocker panel slot. The other is quite a long harness in the black convoluted tubing all wrapped up and tied near the fire wall, if you call it that. The steering column is in that photo at the bottom left. I am thinking the extra for the rocker might be some sort of lighting, not sure of course, but no idea at all about the longer set.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
FYI for those in my other post that I miss posted in the introduce yourself area: The company that has the down loadable manuals just responded to me stating that while their web site states "not for XRC or XMR" they have now confirmed that the standard Maverick Sport collection of documents does apply to these models as well. I am downloading them now. Maybe they explain these unused connectors.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Cool, hope that manual helps resolve questions...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thus far all I've learned from the manual is that the second connector is a 3 pin Packard connector!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, the best I can figure, the manual wiring diagram is not correct. Inside of the long harness lead with the unknown Packard 3 pin connector is a large splice of several Red/Blk stripe wires. This is the only place in any wiring diagram where several Red/Blk stripe wires are spliced together. See photo 1 of splice in the actual harness and photo 2 of diagram with the splice in the red circle, and what I believe is the unknown 3 pin Packard connector in the third photo. Only problem here is that there are two additional wires in this harness and connector that are not in the diagram, a GN/BLU and a LT BLU, see splice photo, and there are no black wires in this harness leg as depicted in the diagram. I was able to determine that the Red/Blk wire is a switched 12V line, hot when the key is on and no power is on the other two wires either way. I did not check to see of one of these is indeed a ground. Seeing that these Red/Blk stripe wires feed the winch system relay, and are labeled ACC at the connector before the splice, perhaps the diagrams are indeed just not specific to the XRC version as warned in the web site where I downloaded these manuals. I'd value a second opinion from someone smarter or more observant than me.

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
I think the long harness with the Packard plug is for a winch remote. The winch harness is Can Am part #715003777.

·
Registered
809 Posts
^^^ Since MavT and standard MavS variants don't come with a winch, I knew that the MavS X rc model does but had forgotten that Can-Am doesn't supply the remote control (or specific harness) for that. Also agree with Bad Order on the required harness P/N outlined here which still doesn't include the remote control cable assy. The connector you showed looked familiar but it's been almost 2 yrs since I installed mine plus forgotten that I terminated that shown connector to the required harness under the "hood" area and terminated that in the location Can-Am recommends in installation instruction, however not exactly the same since I didn't have a Packard connector pin removal tool (as specified) plus already had a street legal horn installed in the designated hole location. If you choose to utilize the same remote control connection location, you'll need to route the shown harness and connector forward (through rubber boot on upper LH driver side "firewall") towards that area as illustrated in my prior post here. Let me know if you want a picture of that final connection point for the remote harness.

·
Registered
220 Posts
DirtDawg- the "outlined here" links are no longer valid--I guess--on the Can-Am site. Anyway, my quick research confirm your location for the connector located under the hood. One of the part vendor showed the pins for the connector actually not inserted into their side so that one matches the other side without the pin removal tool.

·
Registered
809 Posts
^^^ Agreed - Can-Am has changed their website with related product links such that many are no longer active. Linked my Mar 2018 post just for context on what's included (or not) within winch kits. I'll take a few pics and edit this post afterwards...

OK, here they are showing where that connector terminates to the required harness assembly plus my chosen remote control plug port location. Thumbnail images are uncompressed for clearest perspective in fullscreen views.

Winch harness1.JPG Winch harness2.JPG

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Perfecr
^^^ Since MavT and standard MavS variants don't come with a winch, I knew that the MavS X rc model does but had forgotten that Can-Am doesn't supply the remote control (or specific harness) for that. Also agree with Bad Order on the required harness P/N outlined here which still doesn't include the remote control cable assy. The connector you showed looked familiar but it's been almost 2 yrs since I installed mine plus forgotten that I terminated that shown connector to the required harness under the "hood" area and terminated that in the location Can-Am recommends in installation instruction, however not exactly the same since I didn't have a Packard connector pin removal tool (as specified) plus already had a street legal horn installed in the designated hole location. If you choose to utilize the same remote control connection location, you'll need to route the shown harness and connector forward (through rubber boot on upper LH driver side "firewall") towards that area as illustrated in my prior post here. Let me know if you want a picture of that final connection point for the remote harness.
Thanks!!! The mystery is solved. Looks like a few parts houses still lit it for sale for about $70. Interesting that the color and number of wires still appears to be different, perhaps in the non XRC, etc, this plug was for accessory connections?

Any clues on the other connector, the one that appears to be for the un used rocker panel slot? The green on in this photo?

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^^^ Agreed - Can-Am has changed their website with related product links such that many are no longer active. Linked my Mar 2018 post just for context on what's included (or not) within winch kits. I'll take a few pics and edit this post afterwards...

OK, here they are showing where that connector terminates to the required harness assembly plus my chosen remote control plug port location. Thumbnail images are uncompressed for clearest perspective in fullscreen views.

View attachment 252721 View attachment 252722
That is definitely the connector, and from what I see, the same wire colors as mine, but mine is taped up in a bundle inside the cabin under the dash. I suppose the red and black wire from it could still be used for an accessory, but the other two wires probably engage the winch relay in and out.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Its
Perfecr

Thanks!!! The mystery is solved. Looks like a few parts houses still lit it for sale for about $70. Interesting that the color and number of wires still appears to be different, perhaps in the non XRC, etc, this plug was for accessory connections?

Any clues on the other connector, the one that appears to be for the un used rocker panel slot? The green on in this photo?
View attachment 252724
Its probably for the Mud/Trail mode that is standard on the Mav S XMR. My guess is all the Mav S series machines use the same harness so whatever a particular machine does not come equipped with its tied off under the dash or in a dummy plug.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Its

Its probably for the Mud/Trail mode that is standard on the Mav S XMR. My guess is all the Mav S series machines use the same harness so whatever a particular machine does not come equipped with its tied off under the dash or in a dummy plug.
Hmm, would't that be the same as the Rock/Trail mode switch I have?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts