Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry guys this is going to be a little long winded.

I've been having issues starting my maverick. It will randomly act like the battery is dead and just click. The last two times it happened I hooked jumper cables up and before we hooked them to the other buggy it started right up, no problem. It's been getting a high idle randomly and other times it will stall on idle. Almost like there is to much pull on it, even though everything is turned off. So today I went to pull it out of the garage and it was dead. So I hooked up a trickle charger and immediately hit the start button and it fired with no trouble. I pulled it outside and let it idle while I was getting stuff ready to wash it and with in three minutes it stalled. I went over to restart it and the display and everything was off (no power), I then cycled the key a few times and still nothing. So I left the key on and went behind it to wiggle some wires thinking maybe i had a loose connection to the starter solenoid or a loose batter terminal, well everything was tight and it still wasn't on. I stood up to get the battery charger, made it a few steps away and heard the fuel pump cycle. I walked over hit the start button and it fired right up with no hesitation.

I have checked the battery terminals
The connection to the starter solenoid
The battery is good it's brand new and I was having this problem before I replaced it.
The starter was replaced under recall

I have an ssv radio, 40" baja lightbar, and interior lights all hooked up but none of them are drawing.

Any ideas what it could be?

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Have you checked the engine ground? I had pulled it to get better access to the valley between the cylinders to install an oil presure sensor and forgot to put it back on. My battery had a good charge but cranked very very slow. Put the ground back on and all was ok. Just a thought...

It's located on drivers side just behind the CVT cover right between the cylinders, coming off the main wire harness.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just ordered a new belt so when that comes in next week and I have it all apart I'll check that. Thanks

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
sounds like a ground somewhere , also check ignition wires to behind key or bad switch

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sounds like a ground somewhere , also check ignition wires to behind key or bad switch
Just pulled the dash and checked all those wires everything is tight and working properly

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
someone said something about the key slot needing cleaned or lubed to , not sure what u can spray in there to clean it contact cleaner maybe

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
someone said something about the key slot needing cleaned or lubed to , not sure what u can spray in there to clean it contact cleaner maybe
I do remember reading a thread about that a long time ago I may have to dig that up.

Reactions: Cales

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
could also be the main relay.....

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Mine wouldn't start or even turn on one time when it was really cold outside, like zero degrees, then started working after about 10 min. Dealer said they would suspect a relay. Hard to test when their intermittent, unless you test it when it's not working. I would just switch it out, & see if that fixes it, if it doesn't you have an extra relay.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine wouldn't start or even turn on one time when it was really cold outside, like zero degrees, then started working after about 10 min. Dealer said they would suspect a relay. Hard to test when their intermittent, unless you test it when it's not working. I would just switch it out, & see if that fixes it, if it doesn't you have an extra relay.
Anyone have a part number ill order one tonight to be safe I won't be home until this weekend to go pull it out.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Can I test that or just but a new relay and see if it stops?
Yes, you can test a relay. I had one fail on me on my Skidoo this season. I followed the test procedure from my Skidoo repair manual. I just applied 12 volts to the correct terminals to verify if I could hear a click. I also did an audible test. I didn't hear the click when I applied 12 volts and the audible test failed so I replaced the relay and my electrical issue was fixed.

I used a cheapo Craftsman multimeter tester too. Not the Cadillac style Fluke one.

2014-03-24 23_27_09-2006_REV_Shop_Manual.jpg 2014-03-24 23_27_25-2006_REV_Shop_Manual.jpg

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Anyone have a part number ill order one tonight to be safe I won't be home until this weekend to go pull it out.
The main relay (R2) and the headlights relay (R4) are identical. Swap them and see if the issue follows the relay to the headlights as it will not affect the vehicle from starting or running but you will be able to tel by having issues with your lights coming on and off.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The main relay (R2) and the headlights relay (R4) are identical. Swap them and see if the issue follows the relay to the headlights as it will not affect the vehicle from starting or running but you will be able to tel by having issues with your lights coming on and off.
That sounds way easier haha I'll give that a shot this weekend and see what happens.. The only thing that sucks is the problem is intermittent so I might not see a difference until I go on a long ride.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
That sounds way easier haha I'll give that a shot this weekend and see what happens.. The only thing that sucks is the problem is intermittent so I might not see a difference until I go on a long ride.
true but you can get by without your headlights (at least during the day)......

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
true but you can get by without your headlights (at least during the day)......
I have a 40" light bar so I'll be fine in that department.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Would the relay being bad cause high idle and stalling at idle?

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
absolutely could since it powers the ECM, fuel injectors and ignition coils......

Reactions: Cales

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bottom of the main relay

1 - 20 of 24 Posts