Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, last ride my rear left outer cv boot ripped apart. I was on a long trip and had to ride with the ripped boot for 500 km.
I wanted to change only the boot but when I looked, the cv has some sand and remaining grease is all black.
Would you by concern to just clean it all and put a new boot or you would replace the whole axle? Im kind of 50/50. I would try it like that but I would hate if it fails in 1000km and I have to do it all over again....
What would Jesus do!!! Dog breed Art Close-up Sporting Group Artifact Automotive tire Wood Gas Automotive wheel system Water Wheel Automotive tire Door Alloy wheel Finger Fluid Cosmetics Gas Tints and shades Electric blue Kitchen utensil Household hardware Tool Gas Engineering

·
Registered
193 Posts
So, last ride my left outer cv boot ripped apart. I was on a long trip and had to ride with the ripped boot for 500 km.
I wanted to change only the boot but when I looked, the cv has some sand and remaining grease is all black.
Would you by concern to just clean it all and put a new boot or you would replace the whole axle? Im kind of 50/50. I would try it like that but I would hate if it fails in 1000km and I have to do it all over again....
What would Jesus do!!! View attachment 269737 View attachment 269738 View attachment 269739 View attachment 269740 View attachment 269741
WWJD? Well my name is Jay, and what I did was order both a new axle, and a boot and repair kit and tools, and some better quality clamps. So now I have a new axle installed, but also have a rebooted/suspect spare axle to use while waiting for a new one if I break one. Further, I recently broke a rear one (pretty sure my own fault), ordered two, so now I both a spare front and rear axle in case of "emergency".

I also figure it's an expensive hobby, and the parts aren't going to get cheaper, so it's sort of money in the bank to have spare parts. Then again I do have lots of spare parts from vehicles I don't even have anymore haha.

·
Premium Member
14,109 Posts
Order a new one from Rocky Mountain ATV, clean that one up, and keep for a spare.

Reactions: Tmesic

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Order a new one from Rocky Mountain ATV, clean that one up, and keep for a spare.
yeah... I am in Canada so with the exchange rate, shipping, 15% taxes and duties... it will be more expensive than my local dealer.
I might order a full axle for peace of mind but im still wondering if this one is any good with the sand and debris and water that got in it.

·
Premium Member
14,109 Posts
yeah... I am in Canada so with the exchange rate, shipping, 15% taxes and duties... it will be more expensive than my local dealer.
I might order a full axle for peace of mind but im still wondering if this one is any good with the sand and debris and water that got in it.
Sorry, keep forgetting about the border fees for you guys. I would think that if you clean it really well, shouldn't be a problem. First drench it with Simple Green to get off most of it. Then try denatured alcohol.

·
Vendor
86 Posts
personally i would replace the entire axle assembly, then rebuild that one as a spare. the amount of labor to rebuild it is barely worth it IMO than just throwing in a new one and breaking the old one down later. its a great learning experience that every backyard mechanic should have under their belt.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
boot is 40$ USD
full axle is 200$ USD
or
boot 65$ CAD + 15% taxes
axle 300$ CAD + 15% taxes

I got the full axle for 300 including taxes at my usual local dealer...
so more $ but 2 new boots included and not sandblasted haha.
I will eventually rebuild the old one.....

I am lazy and dont want to clean all the dirt and grease in the cv now....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts