Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sounds like cracking the ECU is the key to getting more power out of the Maverick. All the bolt on Mods (Intake, Exhaust, Big Bore, etc...) Won't be fully effective until the ECU can be Modded?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Sounds like cracking the ECU is the key to getting more power out of the Maverick. All the bolt on Mods (Intake, Exhaust, Big Bore, etc...) Won't be fully effective until the ECU can be Modded?
No need to crack it, just replace.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, generally what I mean't... Mods aren't really effective until you have replaced the ECU with one that can be tuned?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Yeah, generally what I mean't... Mods aren't really effective until you have replaced the ECU with one that can be tuned?
Yes. There are a few car ecu's that can be used on these, today. They are kinda expensive, but they will work great! Totally programmable.

A cheaper ecu can and will work, if someone wanted to fab up their own throttle cable/throttle body setup. The cost to control the DBW is what runs the cost up.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
This is a subject that I am totally interested in. The ECU is everything so we need to get that replaced with something less smart and more tunable for the bolts-on mods.
Then we'll have ourselves a better machine.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
This is a subject that I am totally interested in. The ECU is everything so we need to get that replaced with something less smart and more tunable for the bolts-on mods.
Then we'll have ourselves a better machine.
Yes, I agree 100%!

The quads aren't a problem, there's an ecu for them, but they have a regular throttle body.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Yes, I agree 100%!

The quads aren't a problem, there's an ecu for them, but they have a regular throttle body.
I would be fine with an ECU that eliminated the DBW function so I could go back to a mechanically cabled TB. Thats a truer more responsive and adjustable set up anyways.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
I believe a revised ECU will make bigger HP gains once you have all the other bolt-on mods like the bigger TB,open intake and an exhaust.
This is how it was explained to me by someone who said he will have a full unlocked ECU in September...... I would say who, most of you know him or his company however I will ask him first.

"The ecu is not some magic box. But what it does do is give you unlimited performance and tuning based on anything you can do to your engine. Currently, the ecu is a big limiter. After that, it is the parts and the build of engine. Both will be able to be unlimitedly fixed."

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
This is how it was explained to me by someone who said he will have a full unlocked ECU in September...... I would say who, most of you know him or his company however I will ask him first.

"The ecu is not some magic box. But what it does do is give you unlimited performance and tuning based on anything you can do to your engine. Currently, the ecu is a big limiter. After that, it is the parts and the build of engine. Both will be able to be unlimitedly fixed."
Thats a more techincal way of saying it.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I seriously hope this happens otherwise I might just dump my Mav for an RZR 1000. I don't mind spending some money to beat the RZR, I actually prefer it. Did they ever get the commander ECU unlocked? I don't remember.
No,but thats why he'snot trying to unlock it. They are bulding a new unit that gets rid of or revises the limiters and monitors

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
I seriously hope this happens otherwise I might just dump my Mav for an RZR 1000. I don't mind spending some money to beat the RZR, I actually prefer it. Did they ever get the commander ECU unlocked? I don't remember.
why waste time and money to dump a mav for a poop1000 when in 6 months there will be a faster sxs out again ? plus brp & mr.rpm will have ecu update to beat the rzr for the people that r worried !, lol

·
Registered
713 Posts
why waste time and money to dump a mav for a poop1000 when in 6 months there will be a faster sxs out again ? plus brp & mr.rpm will have ecu update to beat the rzr for the people that r worried !, lol
It won't be 6 months, it will be a few years that this RZR 1000 will dominate all the races. Just like the RZR XP did. The Commander would show up every once in a while but for the most part the XP was killing it.

Keep in mind we are trying to find a way to get more power to keep up with the new RZR 1000. Then they will get a new clutch or Exhaust and pull away again. They haven't sold a single unit yet and they already have a 200HP RZR which we will see next Monday. Why hasn't can-am done something like this?

Believe me, I am not happy about the possibility of dumping my Maverick, I have spent way too much on it already.

1 - 20 of 167 Posts