Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone has trail suggestions for riding in the Eastern Sierra (around Mammoth). Might rent a cabin at Convict and try to find some riding. I don't mind driving a bit to get to a trailhead either. One thought was the Laurel Lakes trail -- I've done it my Jeep before and doubt the X3 would even blink an eye...

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup, got GPS. I run Gaia on my iPad with a Garmin Bluetooth GPS.

And no, not this time of year... :rolleyes:

Planning a summer riding & fishing trip. I looked at Google Earth and there’s a bunch of trails north of Mammoth I’ll explore.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My in-laws live in Bishop.. We frequently go there but want to start bringing the X3 up... I have been looking at Coyote Flats and Silver Canyon and Buttermilk's area for sure... I'm running with a TRX Magellan up front for NAV... Just curious if anybody has been on the trails and how they are?...been looking at you tube videos...see lots of street legals going up there, dont see any issues with X'3s and other SXS rolling up..

·
Registered
233 Posts
Camp at glass creek. It’s free to dry camp and there is tons of great riding to be had straight from camp. If you camp at convict you’ll have to trailer to trails. Sherwin creek and June lake loop are great simple scenic trails. We go once a year at least for a week long trip. Last year we brought kayaks strapped them to 4 seat rzrs in our group and rode to June lake and fished the lake

Arrive mid week if possible as it is first come first serve and the spots fill quickly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
103 Posts
I went with some friends last year. There are a ton of trails around there. The one that sticks in my mind was about 15 miles of all uphill, low gear, that dead ends at a lake. I don't not remember the name of it, but maybe someone does. It was spectacular.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I went with some friends last year. There are a ton of trails around there. The one that sticks in my mind was about 15 miles of all uphill, low gear, that dead ends at a lake. I don't not remember the name of it, but maybe someone does. It was spectacular.
Laurel lakes off the sherwin creek trail. Definitely worth the rocky terrain. Perfect backdrop for a maverick of the month image once you get to the lake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Heading up there Memorial Day weekend with a few families but not sure if bringing the mav. Will be staying by the main lodge and my buddy’s original plan is to bring up his sleds. This thread now has me thinking. Would like to find a way to bring the mav too but not sure if there is a place close to the main lodge to park it on a trailer. Seems like the best access to the trails is via a campsite. Will have to do a little homework to see if I can make it happen.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Was able to do a little recon up in mammoth this past weekend. Big springs campground looked ok but not too many flat spots. Glass creek looked good, big flat spots, but not sure of how many trails you can access from there. I didn’t get to go to Sherwin Creek. Shady Rest doesn’t appear to have direct OHV access from the campground so didn’t bother. However we have launched snowmobiles out of there so I’m guessing some of the snowmobile trailes are rideable after the snow melts.

Hoping the hear hear some other rider’s experiences up there. :).

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
I would bet most everything east of 395 is rideable or close to it. I’ll be staying at Sherwin Creek the last week of June. Same week as the big Moto X races.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Way back in 2005 wife and I took up our quads yamaha raptor 660 and a Kawi 400 up for Labor Day and we had a blast! We camped between mammoth and June lake at Obsidian Domb trail ( or something like that it’s closer to June lake loop west side of 395) it was dry camping ( motorhome) but we were by ourselves away from others. Beautiful area and would do it again.

Camped under the trees and it gets dark early once the sun goes down, kinda spooky not knowing what’s just beyond your flash light beam at 11 at night.

a lot of the trails we hit were fire roads and they go on for miles....

·
Registered
246 Posts
I would bet most everything east of 395 is rideable or close to it. I’ll be staying at Sherwin Creek the last week of June. Same week as the big Moto X races.
We will be there 6/26 thru 6/30. Stating at glass creek. Lets go for a ride.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Looking forward to hearing about your experiences fellas. Toying with the idea of heading up there Labor Day weekend, but trying to have a game plan first. I’ve been looking at those maps and I’m trying to figure out a few things.

regarding glass creek, looks like the only sxs riding will be heading south? No way to get to June lake I can see on the map. The red circle I added is a trail for 50” or less ohv according to the legend. Is that accurate? This appears to be the only trail heading north. the only way to head north would be to head south, Cross over to east side 395, head north, Then cross back over 395. Haven’t studied the maps enough to know if this is even possible.

looking at the little antelope valley map at sherwin creek, doesn’t look like you can go very far from there.

Am am I missing something? Are there more trails than what is on the map. I am going to check out some ohv apps and see if they have other routes listed.

8989EDE9-C712-414F-9EB4-AAABCB782932.jpeg

C8FED98E-22AD-4D39-AD03-9AD14D2850AD.png

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
I’ve stayed at both Glass Creek and Sherwin Creek. There are more trails around Glass Creek but Sherwin Creek has quick access to Laurel Lakes which is kind of the crown jewel of trail rides in Mammoth. East of 395 is pretty wide open and can be accessed from either camoground. Try something like Popo Ride Comand App.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts