Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people, let me introduce myself first: I am from Argentina and I recently bought an used X3 turbo. I am close to the border of Brazil and I intend to go a few times.

I would like to know if the X3 can use E95 (mixture between ethanol and gasoline, 95/5). I read in the forum that it is advisable to use gasoline with 91 octane, so I don´t know if the ECU, pipes, connections, etc are resistant to E95.

Thank you very much in advance,

Agustin.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you!

I took a few more minutes on the forum and found that using E95 is highly discouraged unless the X3 is specifically prepared for it.

Now, my question is, how much does it cost to prepare it for E95, and what components should I change?

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
the canam has a dumb ecu
it can not make changes to the fueling based on fuel type
it only uses tables, no live feedback
and the o2 sensor is only used for idle/warmup

you want E98-95 but
it is not widely available like e85
and unless highly modified not a upgrade from e85
e98 is very bad for cold starts and is why e85 is more common
many tuners have tunes for e85

all e85 tunes require bigger injectors and special tuning
a e98 tune will be all custom

·
Premium Member
7,437 Posts
A lot of South American countries are trying to use more ethanol and lean less on fossil fuels.

Argentina is one of the biggest producers of ethanol. I suspect getting pure or close to pure is easy there.

Like was said the more ethanol the tougher the cold starts. Perhaps the climate there is one that cold weather starts are not as critical.

Tim

Reactions: BlackMarketUTV

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the canam has a dumb ecu
it can not make changes to the fueling based on fuel type
it only uses tables, no live feedback
and the o2 sensor is only used for idle/warmup

you want E98-95 but
it is not widely available like e85
and unless highly modified not a upgrade from e85
e98 is very bad for cold starts and is why e85 is more common
many tuners have tunes for e85

all e85 tunes require bigger injectors and special tuning
a e98 tune will be all custom
Thank you for your answer. Can I make changes on the ecu for that fuel? I mean, can I modify the tables?

I know that is not better, but is what I can use. Here we don´t have cold weathers, so the cold starts are not a very big problem.

is there any information about the injectors and special tuning?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A lot of South American countries are trying to use more ethanol and lean less on fossil fuels.

Argentina is one of the biggest producers of ethanol. I suspect getting pure or close to pure is easy there.

Like was said the more ethanol the tougher the cold starts. Perhaps the climate there is one that cold weather starts are not as critical.

Tim
Thank you for your answer Tim. Exactly as you said. We have ethanol, and the weather is not that cold. That´s why I am looking forward to use it.

·
Vendor
X3 Max RS
796 Posts
I wish we had E95 like that here!

The X3 has been build with some (if not more) corrosion resistance to ethanol. It was build and factory tuned to have 10% ethanol in the fuel (88 octane plus 10% ethanol to make 91 octane pump).

Ethanol and aluminum don’t get along but other than intake ports and pistons I can’t think of any aluminum that touches the fuel.?.?.

You certainly will need/want larger injectors. Stock injectors will run short if you try and add roughly 30-40% more fuel. Ethanol contains less energy so to get the same energy, you need more fuel.

You have several options when it comes to tuning. Reflashing (assuming it’s not a 2021) with a DynoJet or a stand-alone ECU. Cheapest route is reflashing.

A DynoJet PV3 would allow you to change fuel tables and a DynoJet Wideband O2 sensor would allow you to see AFRs outside the range of the factory narrow band O2 sensor.

In summary, yes. With tuning you could run E95. If you’re looking for something off the shelf, I would suggest an E85 tune and components and diluting your E95 down to E85.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
we have e98 at the pump here in michigan
well.... the pumps at the ethanol plants gas stations...lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wish we had E95 like that here!

The X3 has been build with some (if not more) corrosion resistance to ethanol. It was build and factory tuned to have 10% ethanol in the fuel (88 octane plus 10% ethanol to make 91 octane pump).

Ethanol and aluminum don’t get along but other than intake ports and pistons I can’t think of any aluminum that touches the fuel.?.?.

You certainly will need/want larger injectors. Stock injectors will run short if you try and add roughly 30-40% more fuel. Ethanol contains less energy so to get the same energy, you need more fuel.

You have several options when it comes to tuning. Reflashing (assuming it’s not a 2021) with a DynoJet or a stand-alone ECU. Cheapest route is reflashing.

A DynoJet PV3 would allow you to change fuel tables and a DynoJet Wideband O2 sensor would allow you to see AFRs outside the range of the factory narrow band O2 sensor.

In summary, yes. With tuning you could run E95. If you’re looking for something off the shelf, I would suggest an E85 tune and components and diluting your E95 down to E85.
Hi!

I think the same way as you for now. Apart from injectors, intake, and may be the pipes I don´t think that I should change anything else. Those components, can be bought from factory, or I have to build by myself?

I will look after DynoJet, and the sensor. Nowadays, in my rally car, I am using a Fueltech 550. Is it possible to use that one?

Thank you for your answer and your advice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts