Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Vendor
X3 Max RS
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever wanted to write your own tune or make a simple change to your current tune? DynoJet provides a very affordable platform to write and edit your tune but is lacking support when it comes to detailed user questions. Let the Power of the Community Help! Ask your tuning questions here. Performance companies, like Packard Performance, have already begun releasing their turbo kit tunes unlocked so that users can edit them.

Let's hear some questions and start some discussions!

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
How affordable?
Package deal with a wide band possibly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
X3 Max RS
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alway possible. Shoot me a DM and I would be happy to put something together.

·
Vendor
X3 Max RS
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe we can start off with a misconception that running an engine lean creates more power. Below you can see a photo of a torque optimization graph plotted by a dyno showing that optimal AFR on this engine was about 0.93 lambda (AFR 13.6:1 pump gas). Also note that there is a large window where very little power is lost both before and after optimal. This window allows for things like better fuel economy (leaner) or more cooling effect from the fuel (richer).

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
now lets see a graph for max power...lol
which is closer to .85
takes fuel to make power
a little rich never hurt a motor
a little lean can be very bad

·
Vendor
X3 Max RS
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you mean max power as in HP? If so, remember the only measurement for power is torque, HP is calculated. HP = torque x RPM / 5252. Which is why all the HP and Torque graphs you see the HP and torque cross at about 5200 rpm.

The graph I posted above is for a naturally aspirated engine. So yes, a turbo charged setup needs to run richer than a NA motor. The 0.85 is close to a good lambda for the X3 depending on fueling. From what I have seen maybe even a little richer and take advantage of the fuels cooling effect. That way you can advance the timing more without running into knock.

FYI the X3 narrow band O2 sensor works at both idle AND high load/high RPM. Which is why this table is important.

Example

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
here is another table that makes no sense....
narrow band can only see 1
and has no clue if is .8 or .9
it sees only 1 and only that its ether richer than 1
or leaner than 1

·
Vendor
X3 Max RS
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree. The narrow band is useless, unless this table is set to 1.0 lambda like it is on the factory setting. I'm curious is anyone has tested this table see if it has any influence on the ECUs calculation for fueling.

·
Vendor
X3 Max RS
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tested the Max Requested AFR table...it does play a role in the your AFR out put! If the VE table is set to 1.0 lambda and you lower the requested lambda on the table it will adjust. I don't think this table is influenced with the narrow band O2 sensor. I believe it's mathematically tie to the fueling...as long as the VE table is dialed in.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I think the fuel table you listed is only used for low load (see load threshold for knock control) would be below the setting in this table. Above it would use (target AFR for knock protection). There is also the (EGT threshold for component protection), when it goes above this it uses (target afr for component protection)
Do some data logging and let that sink in lol, the timing tables are just as complicated I won't share that one quite yet, it took me a while to figure that one out. Get some more contributors in here and if no one else shares it I will.

·
Vendor
X3 Max RS
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
According to DJ Table Notes for the Target AFR for Knock Protection table, it's only used when knock is detected. So it should run off the Max Requested AFR (in conjunction with the VE, Mass Air and Fueling) unless problems occur...like knock or high EGTs. Then those tables will take the drivers seat.

Which is kind of funny because EGTs aren't measured...the only heat sensor (other than IAT) we have is the coolant temp sensor and EGT and calculated (assumed).

·
Registered
180 Posts
The egt's are calculated (imaginary number), DJ tables notes are not completely accurate they are just a rough reference just like any other software company like EFILive, HP Tuners, ect they are general descriptions not a roadmap to how the ecm works. Couple of test's for you to try- change the (EGT threshold for component protection) to a lower number like maybe 1200F and then put some AFR number in the (target afr for component protection) table that doesn't match any other AFR tables like maybe 10.8. Log that any see what happens when you go above the EGT threshold.

Same goes for the (load threshold for knock control) set that table low like 25% in the whole table and then put another different AFR target in the (target AFR for knock protection) like 11.6. Don't test both of these at the same time it could ad some confusion. You need to figure out what tables the ECM uses and when so you need to make some simple changes to make things easier to stand out in a log.

The other thing on the (load threshold for knock control) this is just when the ECM starts to look for knock, not when it's detected. Watch (Knock reference level), (Load), (Load target), and (Requested AFR) in a log and you will see what this does.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I was hoping people would contribute or at least there would be some people interested, the early years in the diesel community it was pretty open then people took others work and tried to profit. The gas guys were pretty good, they would write how to articles ect and it was nice. All of a sudden people were selling stolen tunes ect, they put more work into stealing shit and trying to make a buck turned into a real cut throat market. I've been doing this for a long time, seen guys grow and get big then seen the nazi's come take everything away from them.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I’ve been through that cycle as well. There’s only a couple of things I actually want to play with which will ‘solve’ some things in my head but otherwise I’m not stepping into reinvention spark and fuel tables. I wish the DJ provided tunes were unlocked for those on the pv3. It’s not like copying the tables is terribly easy, but I do understand DJ protecting themselves.

I’ve finally got the software to work on a VM on my MacPro so I can spend more time looking into this now. The tweaks I’m making are minimal really. Fan temp, ic fan temp, white key speed limiter, and I really wish there was a way to remove ‘ride now’ from my start up dashboard.. without getting a buds

·
Vendor
X3 Max RS
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
LOL yeah I'm with you on removing dealer tag at start up!

Will you post/share the changes you make?

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Yeah I second the motion of DJ providing unlocked tunes in the PV3. I am not interested in changing their tune parameters at all. Just to change the cooling fan cycle temp's I had to send them a file and redownload.

·
Vendor
X3 Max RS
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I’ve been through that cycle as well. There’s only a couple of things I actually want to play with which will ‘solve’ some things in my head but otherwise I’m not stepping into reinvention spark and fuel tables. I wish the DJ provided tunes were unlocked for those on the pv3. It’s not like copying the tables is terribly easy, but I do understand DJ protecting themselves.

I’ve finally got the software to work on a VM on my MacPro so I can spend more time looking into this now. The tweaks I’m making are minimal really. Fan temp, ic fan temp, white key speed limiter, and I really wish there was a way to remove ‘ride now’ from my start up dashboard.. without getting a buds

I'm not sure if you have change the white key setting with the tune... I believe they are a buds thing like the dash.

Here is the description of what these setting control if that's what your looking at.

Pedal to Requested Torque/TPS from Pedal
1 - ECO
2 - Reverse & Low
3 - High

1 - 18 of 18 Posts