Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to sxs's and don't know a ton about the mechanics. I have a X3 xrs that I bought used. On my last ride earlier in the day I noticed it had some wobble. Later that day climbing a hill, the front diff. housing shattered on the passenger side. Once I got it home, I noticed the passenger front tire is leaning out 1/2-3/4" on the top compared to the bottom. Drivers side is perfectly straight. Can anyone tell me what's going on and if you think it's related?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate the help View attachment 254354 . If it's bent, it's not noticeable to the eye. The previous owner slid into a tree. They put a new upper a-arm on. As you can see, they repaired the frame @ lower a-arm. It is a little shoved in compared to the drivers side tho. I'll check out the a-arm once i pull it off. Do you think it would be smart to add a front gusset kit given what you see below? View attachment 254354

·
Premium Member
7,877 Posts
it appears you have some ort of thicker bulkhead already, gusset kit is a must and if they bent and repaired already. who knows I they repaired it correctly and that might be where all your issues are at.

also it looks like your nut is not tight and has been moving around. you need the correct length bolt in there to Engauge the nyloc in the nut. These front end bolts loosen up frequently and need to be checked a lot.

·
Registered
260 Posts
It looks like your diff is cracked or split open and there is oil all around the crack. Without fixing that you are not going anywhere. You will have to pull the diff out and in doing that you can really go over the parts you think may be suspicious of being bent. I would take the lower a arm off of the drivers side and lay it over the passenger side and see if it is at least close. The lower a arm should have been replaced not repaired in my opinion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It looks like your diff is cracked or split open and there is oil all around the crack.
Yeah, I mentioned in my original post that it had shattered. My concern is that there is a greater problem here causing this to happen. That makes 2 diffs in 1 month.

·
Registered
260 Posts
That would concern me too. Did the first one brake in the same fashion? Doing the same thing? Same side? What did you (or dealer?) replace when it broke the first time? When you took it apart the first time did you compare the lower a arms to see if that was a culprit?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts