Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know what it is but recently noticed a clunking noise in my front driveline. All I was doing was moving it around to the other side of my garage and noticed when I turned the tires and gave it some gas there was a clunk or pop sound from my front end. Haven't rode it any in about a month and it didn't do it last time I rode it. Sounds like a drive shaft pop or something from the cv.

Anybody know what it might be?

Nathan

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I would put the front end up on jack stands and check everything. Spin the wheels by hand both straight and at full turn both ways. Then maybe put the car up so you can run it in 4wd and inspect it.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Did it do it just once or does it do it repeatedly? If it was just once, I wouldn't be too worried about it as something was bound up and let go (i.e. u-joint, CV joint, gear box....) if it does it repeatedly, you got something wrong. desertdog has you pointed in the right direction to see if you can isolate where it is coming from.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
are u hearing the clutch slap together each time u hit the gas it makes noise like a drive line poppin or bangin

·
Registered
998 Posts
I noticed a clunk and it turned out to be a u joint had busted the cap and had a lot of play .. Put a new prop shaft in it and fixed the problem

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry about the delay guys, kids got me hopping. Jacked it up full turn or straight no popping. It just did it twice then didn't do it again. Sounded like something was in a bind tho. Don't have time to run her in 4 wheel right now, I'll try tomorrow.

Thanks fellas for your help.

Nathan

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have heard that pop once or twice n checked everything but didn't find anything I would like to see if Dodd finds anything out

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Took it out for a quick spin in the field in 4 wheel drive. No pop at all in anything loose but setting still on pavement or driveway in two wheel and turn sharp then give it some gas I can feel and here a pop around my feet. Only does it once tho, after I hear it and drive on it doesn't do it. If I stop then repeat it'll do it again.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Sounds normal to me…..they do not like pavement and will bind like crazy at full turn even in 2WD….if it doesn't do it in the field, you are good to go….

1 - 10 of 10 Posts