Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I know this has nothing to do with a maverick but I need to drill out ss rivets in my sled tunnel. I'm putting longer heat exchangers in. I can grind the heads off the ones on top of the tunnel that are covered by the tank, seat, and rear taillight but the ones on the side of the tunnel I want to drill out cause the tunnel is powder coated and it will look like crap. Has anybody dealt with drilling these out? I guess a colbalt drill bit is what I need. Any tricks or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks guys

Chris

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
ya just get the right size bit and drill out the center stay straight with the drill gun

·
Registered
255 Posts
Center punch to line em up and drill em.

I've done my fair share of rivet removal owning a sled shop. Hate the little bastards with a passion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
ah ya just comprehended what he said smooth head rivets, those don't sound fun , lol

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Alright I know this has nothing to do with a maverick but I need to drill out ss rivets in my sled tunnel. I'm putting longer heat exchangers in. I can grind the heads off the ones on top of the tunnel that are covered by the tank, seat, and rear taillight but the ones on the side of the tunnel I want to drill out cause the tunnel is powder coated and it will look like crap. Has anybody dealt with drilling these out? I guess a colbalt drill bit is what I need. Any tricks or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks guys

Chris
I've done the same thing you are doing several times.....one thing you want to do if you can is get to the backside of the rivet, lock onto them with vice grips to keep them from spinning and they will come out much quicker and wont score up the tunnel when the get loose and start to spin....

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok that's what I was thinking of to getting vise grips on the back side then center punch it, then drill them out with a cobalt drill bit. We'll we will see what happens this week sometime when I get the suspension out.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
are you sure they are stainless....most sled makers use aluminum rivets due to the weight savings.....

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would imagine they would be cause they are holding the heat exchangers in. With aluminum I would think they wouldn't want them to come loose. That's a real critical part of the machine. Def don't want structure failure there. And I tried to drill one out the other day with a regular drill bit didn't do crap for getting into the head of the rivet.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
got it.....I have seen both used but if a bit didn't touch it, it's not aluminum...

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
Pump the trigger varing the speed of the drill, with a little oil they will come right out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts