Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Got it back from the service, the technitian told me he set everything according to factory settings, as per the owners manual. Sou I took it out and it was allot softer. This means I got it from the factory with a stiffer setting than the manual prescribes. Weird, what happened to QC.

The tech told me its 1mm toe in in front, and square in the back.

It handles a ok in the bush. Then I took it to the beach. Where there were no car tracks, it pulled straight. As soon as I hit car tracks I had to slow way down, as it was bobbing left and right between the wider car tracks. I think I should fit spacers to be able hold car tracks.

I dont like the fact that it bottomed out twice in the dunes, but I guess its give and take.

Bottoming out on occasion is really what you want as it lets you know your using the full travel.

·
Vendor
6,222 Posts
I'm an 1/8 toe in in the rear and an 1/8 in or out in the front depending on what kind of riding/racing i'm doing. Anything more than 1/4 toe in in the rear will create so much drag you'll lose speed and can kick you a little sideways on uneven jumps. Toe out in the front does help with turn in but isn't the best option for high speed stability, that should just be determined by what kind of riding you're doing. In the dunes you may want to toe it in and in the woods you would probably want to tow it out. Ill play with the alignment some more and see what I can find out.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Alignment update

I knocked my front alignment way out this last weekend when I bent a tie rod. After getting the tie rod fixed the Mav was twitchy as hell, so I checked the toe. It was toe in by almost 2". Set it to 1/4" toe in up front, and it handles just as it did before I fubared the tie rod...Execllent

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I need to set my alignment. When you say 1/4" toe in up front, where are you measuring from. Front of the rim vs back of the rim or something else.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
When I set my front toe to 1/4" in, I was out at Glamis with no owners manual. Just a couple of cresent wrenches and a tape measure. I measured from the front edge/center of the tires to the back edge/center of the tires. I have an owners manual now, but have not read the part about alignment yet. According to an earlier post in this thread, factory is 1mm toe in for the front, and square or neutral in the rear. If I get a chance, I'll look up Can Am's procedure, and post how and where they measure from to set the toe correctly.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I wound up strapping a pair of long strait edges for woodwork to the front tires and set those as close as I could to parallel and then turned each tie rod end out a half turn which gave about 1/8" each side. When I was done the front of the tires are almost 1/4" less than the back of the tires. So I think that sets me T 1/4" toe in. I plan a short ride on Sunday to see how it handless.

·
Vendor
6,222 Posts
As of right now I'm a 1/8" toe in in the front and straight in the rear with no toe. I measure from the mold seam on the tire tread. You need to roll it and check it a couple times to make sure the mold seam is true.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
I wound up strapping a pair of long strait edges for woodwork to the front tires and set those as close as I could to parallel and then turned each tie rod end out a half turn which gave about 1/8" each side. When I was done the front of the tires are almost 1/4" less than the back of the tires. So I think that sets me T 1/4" toe in. I plan a short ride on Sunday to see how it handless.
It doesn't take much. Mr.Reed is correct about the mold line of the tire (just articulated it better than I did)lol.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Mine was very twitchy in deep sand tracks after doing this but straight and stable at speed on pavement as well as graded dirt road. I think I will move my toe to 1/8" toe in and see if it makes much difference.it was search
Ing pretty bad in the deep sand tracks and I think it would be terrible at Glamis.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts