Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the Mav for a 120 km ride with a bunch of RZR900 riders in the Western Australian bush around Perth. As expected the power was great and it handled fantastic in the whoops.

However it was very disappointing in the thick sand. As soon as I get on the power, it was all over the show. It wouldn't keep a straight line. The Mav threw me off the track a few times, while the RZR' s were cruising along at 80-90km's per hour, no problem. If I slowed down , it was worse. I had to keep the speed up in the thick sand tracks to keep it straight, but it felt very hairy at 85 km/h with the nose pulling all over the place.

What can be wrong, where do I start to check to fix the problem.

I also noticed, when I give throttle hard, it pulls severely to the right, and it then feels like the entire body is drifting around unpredictably. A totally unsafe feeling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
ya sounds like there way off or something , maybe the alignment of the rear toe for the tires is off to

maybe the air pressure in your tire is not equal.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I'll chech tire pressure and near toe.
I dont like slowing down while the RzR's are gunning it.

Could it be cv?

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Ok, I'll chech tire pressure and near toe.
I dont like slowing down while the RzR's are gunning it.

Could it be cv?
I doubt the cv,but anything is possible. Most likely you have some alignment issuses. Might check shocks to see if they are at the factory settings as well. Even uneven tire psi wont throw you off as much as your saying, unless one tire is FLAT.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Ya they way ur talking u better bring it to dealer !

Sent from my maverick using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
179 Posts
Might want to check and see if all your nuts and bolts are tight... Alignment could be an issue too but its always gonna be a give and take... May handle better on more solid stuff where other bikes may drift.. It may also be the tread pattern on your tires....

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Might want to check and see if all your nuts and bolts are tight... Alignment could be an issue too but its always gonna be a give and take... May handle better on more solid stuff where other bikes may drift.. It may also be the tread pattern on your tires....
It's not the tires, or the terrain. I've had mine out on the hard pack and out in the sand dunes with the stock Big Horns in both. It flat out handles great in either. If it's jumping out like Dave says......There's a problem somewhere. My guess is alignment, but thats pure speculation on my part.Dave check the front toe as well. I have a Kawasaki KFX 450R quad that handled pretty much the same as your describing. The Kawie is kind of a twitchy quad anyway, but off the showroom floor the front was toe out 1/4" instead of 1/4" toe in. After setting to toe correctly, it handled WAY better. Still a bit twitchy, but WAY better.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Andy, I know mine is a little toe out in the front, so I will set that right as soon as its back from the 10hr service. i' ll do 1/4" toe in for the front and back, and soften it up a little.

·
Registered
81 Posts
the way these bend tie rod i would guess your toe frnt or rear is out. It does not take much to get it squirrelly at a faster speed with bumps. with the wrong toe in or out 1 tire is alwys fighting for control on how to steer the machine.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Andy, I know mine is a little toe out in the front, so I will set that right as soon as its back from the 10hr service. i' ll do 1/4" toe in for the front and back, and soften it up a little.
Theres one problem for sure. Toe out will make the car hunt different lines. The front tires are trying to overcome each others pull...ALL the time. I don't know if 1/4" is the prescribed amount of toe-in for these UTV's (just what the Kawie was supposed to be at). You might start at 1/8" and go from there. Even a neutral setting will handle better than toe-out.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
The Commander and I assume the Maverick come from the factory toed out. You want toe in for high speed stability and toe out for cornering however toe in is the better of the two.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
I spent a few years on a USAC sprint car team. We never ever ever ever set a car up with toe-out. Ever. Toe-out goes againts everything I know about setting up a sprint car. Offroading might be a different story...IDK but I'm learning

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I've always used toe in, but I too have heard that for something like short course racing, toe out gives you a quicker turn in through the corners. Probably less push also. Not something most of us will need or want to run.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I know popo's come toe'd out. I tried to toe in my xp9 and I didn't like the results at all. Went back to factory settings

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got it back from the service, the technitian told me he set everything according to factory settings, as per the owners manual. Sou I took it out and it was allot softer. This means I got it from the factory with a stiffer setting than the manual prescribes. Weird, what happened to QC.

The tech told me its 1mm toe in in front, and square in the back.

It handles a ok in the bush. Then I took it to the beach. Where there were no car tracks, it pulled straight. As soon as I hit car tracks I had to slow way down, as it was bobbing left and right between the wider car tracks. I think I should fit spacers to be able hold car tracks.

I dont like the fact that it bottomed out twice in the dunes, but I guess its give and take.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Good to hear Dave. Glad she's handling better for you. Sounds like just a bit of fine tunning and you'll be golden. Just watch out for those G-outs in the dunes...lol

1 - 20 of 29 Posts