Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Vendor
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please oh please don't let a dealer touch your clutch.

Due to us being in contact with a lot of Maverick owners, I am hearing the exact same stories over and over again with nothing but trouble afterwards.

I highly recommend you never let a dealer touch your clutch, it appears most do not know how to remove one, install a clutch kit or even put it back on right. Anything from leaving bolts on secondary loose, not putting it back on aligned with helix, not torquing primary or secondary right etc.

If you must let them for a warranty issue, please take it apart yourself, check it and reinstall it yourself with the right tools and correct torquing methods. Too easy to do it right. All it takes is a primary holder, secondary holder and a torque wrench

This goes for those who are taking them in for the stud recall etc, if they touch your clutch for any reason, redo everything yourself. If you don't know how to do it, watch our videos.

I bet 90% of all the clutching issues are improper installations by anyone who touches it including Rotax when they initially installed the clutches on the engine.

In all caps for a reason, "THIS IS CRITICAL TO A PROBLEM FREE CLUTCH DO IT YOURSELF SO YOU KNOW IT IS DONE RIGHT"

And feel free to call here for help if you need it.

Todd

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
Since I did let the dealer do my recall, what's an appropriate amount of time on it to determine if it'll be ok?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
LOL. Im sure there are some competent dealers out there that have service guys that know what they are doing. As much as getting to know your own machine is important so is getting to know your dealer if you are gonna use them for service.

·
Vendor
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL. Im sure there are some competent dealers out there that have service guys that know what they are doing. As much as getting to know your own machine is important so is getting to know your dealer if you are gonna use them for service.
I'm sure there are but good gosh over 10 plus years of doing this the things I have heard and seen from a Dealers I would let them change my oil.

This thread was because of a call I got yesterday where they didn't line up the helix nor tighten the secondary bolt up properly.

I am not taking chances

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
dealer has done 2 recalls and over 400 miles no problems so far so good, lol

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sounds like yall need to find a new dealer. lol

Reactions: AReed

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Sounds like yall need to find a new dealer. lol
ive heard a lot of horror stories with fruit cake mechanics at these dealers, that's fer sur

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
My dealer…or should I say mechanic at my dealer knows what he is doing. I can't say that everyone at the dealership is as capable as he is. Another member recently PMed me and told me the same dealership did his recall and 10 miles later, his secondary bolt backed out….I will do everything I possibly can on my own machines. I only had them do the initial service because it came as part of the purchase agreement. I did go behind him and check and he did do everything as stated. From now on, only my hands will work on my machine if at all possible.

·
Registered
538 Posts
the dealer just had my whole drivetrain out ,i got a bad transmission from the factory.it broke after only 60 miles of easy driving.it only took them 3 weeks to fix it but they went ahead and scratched the shit out of all my plastic for free while they had it apart.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Any dealer with competent techs are qualified to do that procedure to say all arent is a false accusation . All techs at my dealership are highly regarded at what they do .
We stand by every job that comes in to our shop . JUST SAYIN !!!

DOM

·
Registered
684 Posts
I've got to agree with the o.p. other than recall work, every toy I pick up from the dealer will never see that place again. There is nothing on these machines that you can't take care of yourself, valves included.
Pick up a service manual off eBay and get to know your machine.
If you take it in for recall work, take it in with all the panels, skids and clutch cover removed, that way you you won't have to rear it down to inspect their work.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
my friend just got back from a 10 hr service, from a canam exclusive dealer, with over 10 years with canam and there 2 mechanics been there 7-9 years. they charged him for the 10 hr service, did not do the front and rear diffs or the valve inspection. factory seal marks not broke, not a single drop of oil over the dirt area around the plugs and when he brought it to me the oil was nasty, so I changed it for him. he would like to know who at canam to contact just to log a compliant and tell canam, but the phone you call in general is simply not good, they say its between him and dealer, he don't want nothing in return, not even a refund, just wants someone at canam who matters to hear the story. don't know who to tell him to contact,

·
Registered
322 Posts
Since the secondary bolt is torque to yield (IE it stretches), it's hard to suggest taking things loose and re-tightening them....

......despite what happened with me, I say take it to competent people and make sure they have the updated tq specs and the clutch holder tool that locks both clutches together, so they can tq it correctly.

JC

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
my friend just got back from a 10 hr service, from a canam exclusive dealer, with over 10 years with canam and there 2 mechanics been there 7-9 years. they charged him for the 10 hr service, did not do the front and rear diffs or the valve inspection. factory seal marks not broke, not a single drop of oil over the dirt area around the plugs and when he brought it to me the oil was nasty, so I changed it for him. he would like to know who at canam to contact just to log a compliant and tell canam, but the phone you call in general is simply not good, they say its between him and dealer, he don't want nothing in return, not even a refund, just wants someone at canam who matters to hear the story. don't know who to tell him to contact,
get on there site and start emailing them they will respond

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
the dealer just had my whole drivetrain out ,i got a bad transmission from the factory.it broke after only 60 miles of easy driving.it only took them 3 weeks to fix it but they went ahead and scratched the shit out of all my plastic for free while they had it apart.
dealer needs to replace what ever they scratch b4 u even touch the machine always look it over with the service guy b4 and after u drop it off,

if u see something both u and the service guy know it was there fault !

·
Registered
5 Posts
just picked mine up last week for the recall,drove it 19 miles this weekend and bam the secondary bolt came out! mine wont be going back to the dealer for sure for the clutch work. this is the second time ive been stranded and just at 200 miles

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
what might need to happen is re check the clutch bolts after 10-20 miles and snug them back up it sounds like - after the dealer works on it

·
Vendor
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Since the secondary bolt is torque to yield (IE it stretches), it's hard to suggest taking things loose and re-tightening them....

......despite what happened with me, I say take it to competent people and make sure they have the updated tq specs and the clutch holder tool that locks both clutches together, so they can tq it correctly.

JC

Buy a bolt. I didn't say this but I would reuse it a couple times then change. My own has not been replaced during any of the clutch testing and it was on and off several times. Torqued correctly too.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts