Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my stock Maverick off the dyno, after installing a Muzzy exhaust & tuning with a Powercommander V, & installing the BRP gizmo. I've seen a lot of people claiming their Maverick revs to 8000rpms, and sometimes it doesn't, so I took my Maverick down the highway for a few runs to see what the throttle is doing. From a dead stop, the throttle blade goes to 100% & holds til the speed/rev limiter shuts it down to around 50%, as it should do. The engine revs to around 8000rpms, & holds this rpm until around 50mph, then the rpms come down to around 7500, then they climb to 8000rpms again, to the speed/rpm limiter. This is classic overrev, clutch is slipping during the first 8000rpm shift speed, then after the belt climbs in the primary, the rpms come down, to actual shift speed, then back up again to the speed/rpm limiter. To confirm....I held the brakes & blipped the throttle a few times, put some heat into the clutches & belt, then made some more runs. The rpms immediately go to 8000rpms, then the throttle shuts to around 50%, then back up, after the throttle shutting, allows the belt to catch up again.

This thing needs a STM Rage 8in the worst way. I'm gonna install one as soon as I get a chance, & see what it does,

·
Registered
998 Posts
Here's mine with 7 hrs on it, notice the rpm drop.
Can am mav speed - YouTube
Here's mine with 45 hrs on it with a stiffer secondary spring, slight rpm drop
Mav 6 - YouTube

I like the way my maverick performs with the new spring, I feel it's a improvement over stock for sure

·
Registered
791 Posts
Only had my stock clutch on for about 30 miles, It jumped right to 7900 -8050 and stayed there to 76MPH for the 2 or 3 full throttle pulls I did once my belt was broken in and before I changed it out for the Airdam CVTech/Stm combo

·
Registered
468 Posts
I took my stock Maverick off the dyno, after installing a Muzzy exhaust & tuning with a Powercommander V, & installing the BRP gizmo. I've seen a lot of people claiming their Maverick revs to 8000rpms, and sometimes it doesn't, so I took my Maverick down the highway for a few runs to see what the throttle is doing. From a dead stop, the throttle blade goes to 100% & holds til the speed/rev limiter shuts it down to around 50%, as it should do. The engine revs to around 8000rpms, & holds this rpm until around 50mph, then the rpms come down to around 7500, then they climb to 8000rpms again, to the speed/rpm limiter. This is classic overrev, clutch is slipping during the first 8000rpm shift speed, then after the belt climbs in the primary, the rpms come down, to actual shift speed, then back up again to the speed/rpm limiter. To confirm....I held the brakes & blipped the throttle a few times, put some heat into the clutches & belt, then made some more runs. The rpms immediately go to 8000rpms, then the throttle shuts to around 50%, then back up, after the throttle shutting, allows the belt to catch up again.

This thing needs a STM Rage 8in the worst way. I'm gonna install one as soon as I get a chance, & see what it does,
Do you plan on putting it on the Dyno after the clutch install? I'd be interested to find out what kind of power its actually putting down with the Rage as opposed to the stock POS clutch.

·
Registered
998 Posts
On a side note my belt looked perfect with 800 miles on it. I've never seen my clutch let my machine over rev

·
Registered
791 Posts
RTB sounds like your stock clutch did better than others have said
It could be just that I never had a chance to run it very hard. I gave the belt a real easy break in for the first 20 miles than did three or four full throttle passes on the payment and that was it. When I took it apart it did not really show any signs of slippage. I am sure with more hours/use it would have started to slip like everyone else's.

On a side note; My CV Tech/STM combo does not over-rev either despite what others have said that all CVTech clutches over rev. It is clutched for low range with 34's and in LOW when you punch it it jumps right to 7800 and than climbs up over 8000 as you accelerate to full shift out. It pulls something fierce!
In high when you punch it, it jumps to 7400 than eventually climbs to 8000 as you reach about 50-mph on the speedo Not quite as responsive as I would like. I am going to talk to Airdam to see if I can't tweak it to work a bit better for high range and compromise LOW a bit, because a lot of the power is wasted in LOW anyhow as it spins all 4 tires on most surfaces until you hit about 30mph. I have about 100 hard miles on this setup so far and no signs of belt slippage at all in LOW or HIGH.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you plan on putting it on the Dyno after the clutch install? I'd be interested to find out what kind of power its actually putting down with the Rage as opposed to the stock POS clutch.

I will eventually, but clutches don't usually show any power. If anything, slipping ones will show more when they grab, causing a spike, & to the unknowing dyno operator, they will think they have made power, when they see the spike. What's happening is the clutch slips, then grabs, sorta like dropping the clutch on a straight gear machine.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Thats what mine does.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts