Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am gonna be owning a maverick soon I am still not convinced with Polaris rzr1000, I had a very bad experience with my 13 walker evans xp. my use is 95% dunes 5% street, but I have a doubt; , I've heard that if you hit a jump on a maverick, it cuts off power automatically while in air then goes back when wheels touch the ground, how true is that, cuz if you jump you need to keep a momentum of acceleration so you don't you don’t dive nose down,

·
Registered
292 Posts
I don't think so. It seems like mine just hits the rev limiter when the wheels leave the ground.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
they call it a shaft saver shouldn't be to noticeable !

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
It absolutely will cut power, it's called a shaft saver feature, meaning that it shuts the throttle, so the wheels don't hit the ground spinning, then catching traction, & breaking an axle. It's a cost saver for BRP, since they don't have as many axle warranty claims.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
On a regular jump, no it does not cut power. But while fast duning it will momentarily cut power as you get a little air going over small risers and whatnot. I've read that it was very noticeable on the commander, but it doesn't kick in very much on the Maverick.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Mine does. I have a hill here at the shop, almost straight up, hit it around 20mph, & you'll get about a second & a half of hang time, hold it to the floor, & you'll be idling, when you hit the ground.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Damn man. Mine isn't nearly as bad mr rpm's. the mander was bad but this is not very noticeable. Is mine better because of the sport low?

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
I have noticed my shaft saver a couple of times. Not an issue for me at all.

For 95% dunes. I would go with the longer more wheel travel polaris.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Mines kicks in everytime I hit a jump or even when I hold it on the floor in mud.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
If the shaft saver is the only thing your worried about with the Maverick, I would say its not a big deal. In fact, there are items you can get to override it. The Muzzy Black box and/or MrRPM is working on a new ECU that will eliminate this and a few other features. So problem solved....next

·
Registered
99 Posts
Ive got 400 miles of trail on mine, and i hit every jump i see with it. This is the first I've heard of the axle saver, I've sure never noticed it. You cant really control your pitch midair in the mav anyways, its not like a dirtbike or a quad like that. Plus you'd snap your axles haha.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I've noticed mine on big rollers where the tires just barely leave the ground and I'm still wide open throttle .. I've also noticed it on some hillclimbs, can be frustrating but I'm not going to bitch about it

·
Registered
274 Posts
Yeah I noticed that it cuts power when you catch air but after you are on the ground again it is right back up to full speed. I'm glad it is there, to me it doesn't affect my riding.... Like a broken axle would.

Although I am wondering if it is affecting my jumping while dunning... I kinda of ease into a jump at a sane speed and then floor it as I'm heading up to get the front end light in an effort not to nose dive.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I just wish someone could explain exactly how the ECM knows when the Maverick is being jumped or spinning, (there is no load on the motor). I have looked at the electronic management system diagram which shows the sensors and the only ones I see are crankshaft position sensor, gearbox position sensor, manifold air pressure/temperature sensor, throttle accelerator sensor, throttle position sensor, and a vehicle speed sensor.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I would guess the ECM picks up sudden increases in mph or rpms and cuts the throttle back

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
Don't know if it works on all commanders and mavericks but when my speed sensor went out it kept putting my commander in limp mode every 2 to 3 miles and the mph was going from 0 to 70 to 30 I just unplugged my speed sensor i didn't have mph but it ran great No shaft saver. But. Everybody I've talked to said it only works for a couple of miles then goes into limp mode but mine didn't

1 - 19 of 19 Posts