Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a set of white wheels for my dirt tires. 21 X3 XRS RR. Looking for a 15” 5+1 or 6+1 offset with a bead lock. I had planned on buying a set (kmc granades or system 3 sb7) and then having them powder coated but the PC will cost more than the wheel. If I could find a decent looking white wheel, I could have just the ring powder coated and that would make the cost more manageable.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I wonder how plasti-dip would hold up on an off road wheel? It's certainly cheap enough to try. I did my Corvette wheels white with it and it looked/worked great but I wish I would have clear coated them because they were too hard to clean.

·
Registered
2022 X3 XRS RR SS
1,024 Posts
I wonder how plasti-dip would hold up on an off road wheel? It's certainly cheap enough to try. I did my Corvette wheels white with it and it looked/worked great but I wish I would have clear coated them because they were too hard to clean.
Plastic dip won’t hold up to pressure washing.

·
Registered
2022 X3 XRS RR SS
1,024 Posts
Looking for a set of white wheels for my dirt tires. 21 X3 XRS RR. Looking for a 15” 5+1 or 6+1 offset with a bead lock. I had planned on buying a set (kmc granades or system 3 sb7) and then having them powder coated but the PC will cost more than the wheel. If I could find a decent looking white wheel, I could have just the ring powder coated and that would make the cost more manageable.
This is the only one I am aware of and it is just the ring. They have a 4/136 pattern also. Craig can set you up @craigstumph

·
Registered
1,192 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
How much are you being quoted for powder coat? Are you shipping them somewhere or is it a local guy?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I never had any trouble with washing my Jeep with plastidip on the wheels in the 5 years I kept it. I’d think it would be easy enough to touch up, getting the white to come clean might be a problem though.
It sure was for me, but the clear coat I've heard really helps them stay clean.

Reactions: MO_Hacker

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is the only one I am aware of and it is just the ring. They have a 4/136 pattern also. Craig can set you up @craigstumph

Thanks. I kinda like the look of those wheels but I prefer the 6+1 offset over the 5+2. Difference is probably negligible but I think I’ll stick to my guns there. I was looking for a white wheel, not just the white ring. I can get the rings done pretty cheap.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How much are you being quoted for powder coat? Are you shipping them somewhere or is it a local guy?
Local guy that does the wheels for the dealership I work for. Thought they might hook me up but they aren’t doing me any favors, that’s for sure. I think I’m gonna go with the SB6 by system 3 (I wrote sb7 in my original post but I was looking at the sb6 the whole time). To coat the wheel white and the ring teal they want 250-275 per wheel. The wheels are about 200 each prolly just go with the black or gray and have the rings powder coated white. Then maybe one day down the road when I’m feeling rich, I’ll nut up the $1000 for PC.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No way I’m doing plastidip. I’ve seen to many butcher jobs with plastidip and I do t think it would hold up in the environment we use these cars in. Plus the power washing.

·
Premium Member
2018 Maverick X3RC Turbo R
164 Posts
No way I’m doing plastidip. I’ve seen to many butcher jobs with plastidip and I do t think it would hold up in the environment we use these cars in. Plus the power washing.
Where are you loca
Local guy that does the wheels for the dealership I work for. Thought they might hook me up but they aren’t doing me any favors, that’s for sure. I think I’m gonna go with the SB6 by system 3 (I wrote sb7 in my original post but I was looking at the sb6 the whole time). To coat the wheel white and the ring teal they want 250-275 per wheel. The wheels are about 200 each prolly just go with the black or gray and have the rings powder coated white. Then maybe one day down the road when I’m feeling rich, I’ll nut up the $1000 for PC.
where are you located? I’d find a new powder coater, those prices seem outrageous

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nor cal. Sacramento area. I’ll check with some other places. Granted that was my first call, hoping for the homie hookup. And they aren’t really powder coaters. They are more of an alloy wheel repair/refinisher/coater. If anyone has a referral for me in the nor cal area, let me know. Ordered wheels and tires tonight so they should be here in a couple days. By the way, thanks Chico off road rentals for the parts and great service as usual. Shameless plug.

·
Premium Member
2018 Maverick X3RC Turbo R
164 Posts
Nor cal. Sacramento area. I’ll check with some other places. Granted that was my first call, hoping for the homie hookup. And they aren’t really powder coaters. They are more of an alloy wheel repair/refinisher/coater. If anyone has a referral for me in the nor cal area, let me know. Ordered wheels and tires tonight so they should be here in a couple days. By the way, thanks Chico off road rentals for the parts and great service as usual. Shameless plug.
I’ll ask my father-in-law, he lives in your neck of the woods.
I’m in SoCal and could refer if you were local

·
Registered
86 Posts
Holy shit! I pay $40 per wheel and $15 per ring!

·
Registered
76 Posts
In Cali everything is more expensive. As said prior typically is about $100 wheel. That’s what I charge in Ohio.

Plasti Dip has almost no chance of holding up on a sxs unless all u do is cruise around on the road.

·
Vendor
230 Posts
A large cost is in the prep work. I have had customers arrive with parts ready to hang, off gas and powder, And I would put them in the oven with some production parts. those would be around the $30 - $40 a rim.
Completely stripping and coating a rim will be over $100. But I'm not in Cali so unsure of what it will cost their.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts