Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I saw this in one of the threads on here, where a guy says his dealer actually drove one and knows for Sure

they said its a semi automatic ( so no clutch ) just paddle shifters on steering wheel for the 5 speed trans
Like the can am spider.

As fun as that sounds, just seems like that would price it WAY outa the market.

But if it turns out to be true- IM IN FOR SURE WOW that would be Awsome !!

EDIT--- I CHANGED MY OPPONION. I think will be 2 versions- one with CV clutch setup and one with the PADDLE SHIFT TRIPTRONIC TRANS!
at 105 hp :)))))))

·
Registered
62 Posts
I am starting to believe it. It has come from more than one source now as far as I know.
With all the rumours we have heard I just think its making next friday more and more exciting.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I saw this in one of the threads on here, where a guy says his dealer actually drove one and knows for Sure.

I have to call BS. ( sorry )

they said its a semi automatic ( so no clutch ) just paddle shifters on steering wheel for the 5 speed trans
Like the can am spider.

But if it turns out to be true- IM IN FOR SURE WOW that would be Awsome !!!!:money:
Sure hope its true..... Sounds like it would be fun!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
No, there are a few reason that is a bad idea. First, a sequential paddle transmission is not much fun to drive if you are driving it hard. It sucks have to do several shifts to get from higher gears to lower gears. Also, Im not sure how a geared tranny will hold up in really tough off road environments. Think about when the wheels are bouncing all over the place, that would put an incredible amount of stress on solid gears. The belts in CVTs absorb most of that spike in energy saving the tranny in those machines.

And last, but not least, when you are driving off road at a fast pace there is a lot of crap to worry about like dodging obstacles. It would take a good bit of skill to drive a SXS with a manually shifted tranny, even if its only paddle, to make it work and I think for a majority of owners it would take some fun out of it. There is a reason that almost EVERY off road machine has a CVT in it. Plus, unlike a geared tranny, you are always at the engines peak power output with a properly clutched CVT.....all things being equal the same engine with a CVT would absolutely smoke a geared sequential tranny.

Just my $.02...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Lot's of ATVs and dirtbikes have a shifter and they to have to dodge obstacles on the trail. You also have to go through the gears and can't skip over them so that also is a non issue. They were testing this type of setup originally before the Commander came out. Guess we will see if it made it to this model. Would be a unique and different feature that would attract a lot of buyers IMHO.

·
Registered
21 Posts
No, there are a few reason that is a bad idea. First, a sequential paddle transmission is not much fun to drive if you are driving it hard. It sucks have to do several shifts to get from higher gears to lower gears. Also, Im not sure how a geared tranny will hold up in really tough off road environments. Think about when the wheels are bouncing all over the place, that would put an incredible amount of stress on solid gears. The belts in CVTs absorb most of that spike in energy saving the tranny in those machines.

And last, but not least, when you are driving off road at a fast pace there is a lot of crap to worry about like dodging obstacles. It would take a good bit of skill to drive a SXS with a manually shifted tranny, even if its only paddle, to make it work and I think for a majority of owners it would take some fun out of it. There is a reason that almost EVERY off road machine has a CVT in it. Plus, unlike a geared tranny, you are always at the engines peak power output with a properly clutched CVT.....all things being equal the same engine with a CVT would absolutely smoke a geared sequential tranny.
I see what you are saying but rally cars have been using paddle shifters for years and they drive some of the most demanding conditions. The tranny would have to be strong but I think this would be a cool feature. Something similar to what some Honda ATV's have where you can have the tranny shift automatically or manually at the flip of a switch would be sweet.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Dirtbikes all have manual 5 or 6 speed transmissions only the Rokon had a cvt back in the seventy's a small company from New Hampshire. Local sales rep Tony McCoy at Extreme Torque Motorsports in Fredericton New Brunswick, Canada. heard that it may have paddle-shifters and to be using a variation of the spyder motor.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don' think they would do a manual tranny but Can-Am does like to be innovative. Maybe they will change the game. Only time will tell.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Here is something posted by rzrtodd40 over at the RZR forum. More speculation but definitely interesting.

New info on can am....
Some info I was just told... Pretty reliable source...

105 hp 15" wheel travel
2 models...One is 5 speed paddle shift triptronic trans, QE lock front diff, and power steering. The other has all but the paddle shifter.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I can't picture them having a CVT and a paddle shift option. I think they would be better off putting their time into different suspensions/width's than 2 different tranny setups.

·
Registered
32 Posts
i think a paddle shifter would be alot of fun, and if can am want the dune market thats the way would have to go. look at all the guys that were swapping hyabusa motors into rino's not only do they have to shift but clutch as well.

i think now that manual tranny's are few and far between even in base model vehicles you guys are just scared of shifting gears.

Reactions: JRock

·
Registered
30 Posts
I like the two different options. I would rather a tuned CVT over a paddle shift. BUT I would hope Can-Am upgraded their clutch, because the stock setup sucks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I am just hoping no drive by wire BS or their 3 wheel drive system - deal killer for me
Pretty much a guarantee that it is Visco QE with power steering, which in my opinion is as effective a 4wd system as any. I have had two atvs with the QE visco and have never once noticed a delay on them.
Drive by wire I have a feeling will be on there, but you never know

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I saw this in one of the threads on here, where a guy says his dealer actually drove one and knows for Sure.

I have to call BS. ( sorry )

Like the can am spider.

But if it turns out to be true- IM IN FOR SURE WOW that would be Awsome !!

EDIT--- I CHANGED MY OPPONION. I think will be 2 versions- one with CV clutch setup and one with the PADDLE SHIFT TRIPTRONIC TRANS!
at 105 hp :)))))))
with 15" suspension :)))

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts