Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
funny tons of us from back in the day all bought the XOG , still using mine lol
Mine would still be going strong, but I accidently left it in my rhino in a center console when I was washing it. It got wet and died. I was so pissed because it was a great GPS. My Garmin seems to be off a little, but it has a cool map feature that keeps track of were you ride. I have over 500 miles of zig zaging and loops from dunes rides, if you look at it you would think I was drunk.

NH-Murph - no clue if you can download maps. I use it the dunes, so a map is useless. I just mark waypoints for the dunes and when I am in the hardpack I mark camp and I can usually figure out the trails to get back.

Reactions: Benzo

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I've never had a Lowrance unit. I have had many Garmin units dating back the the Garmin V that I still have!. I have a Garmin Zumo 550 that I use on our motorcycle now. I would like to get one that I can transfer back and forth from Maverick to the bike. The Garmin Montana looks pretty good but with a smaller screen.

How do you Lowrance users like yours? Have you had Garmins? If so is the functionality similar?

·
Premium Member
7,869 Posts
i like the Lowrance 540 because iets simple to use and has a large screen. Just pop in a SD card full of topo and you are good to go. The Lowrance external antenna is not that great but the Garmin antenna hooks up with no adapter cords. i never have any issue with my antenna finding sattelites, even inside my garage.

I am a simple guy and the Lowrance is perfect for me.

·
Registered
492 Posts
i like the Lowrance 540 because iets simple to use and has a large screen. Just pop in a SD card full of topo and you are good to go. The Lowrance external antenna is not that great but the Garmin antenna hooks up with no adapter cords. i never have any issue with my antenna finding sattelites, even inside my garage.

I am a simple guy and the Lowrance is perfect for me.
I have the SD full of topos and they either suck or I have yet to find a way to shut off the tiny waterways that clutter the screen to a point where you can't see shit but ditches and creeks! Even in the desert the whole screen is littered with waterways everywhere!

What topo card do you have? Mega?

·
Premium Member
7,869 Posts
I have the SD full of topos and they either suck or I have yet to find a way to shut off the tiny waterways that clutter the screen to a point where you can't see shit but ditches and creeks! Even in the desert the whole screen is littered with waterways everywhere!

What topo card do you have? Mega?
i got mine from a friend and his came from a deseret racing team. not sure where it originated.

·
Registered
492 Posts
i got mine from a friend and his came from a deseret racing team. not sure where it originated.
It is likely custom then? That would be cool.

I have read that Lowrance is the easiest to make you own maps and such, but I don't have the time or desire to learn. I have also seen a few off brand racer maps available on the net, but I ride in areas where they don't race so they aren't any good for me..... If I lived in SoCal, AZ, NV, or MX I would be golden!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Garmin Monterra all the way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm assuming you are joking!? That unit has serious potential and I want one for portable use, but until they fix all the little problems it is not even on my radar.....

I spoke with Craig at Lowrance this afternoon and I guess there are updates for both my HDS and the Sonic Hub, so I'm doing the updates and will see. We got disconnected during the call and he called me right back in a few mins when their phones came back up! He also asked for a specific location that he could look at to check into a solution to my overwhelming creek issue and call me back when he got the topo card in his demo unit.

So far, super impressed with the service I got today!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I use a samsung android tablet with an app called Gaia GPS. It is the best I have found plus I have all my music piped through the intercom as well as the MX manual on it. You can download topo USFS aerial and more! All for under $150! Not including the ram mount.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Have you compared this to a seperate GPS? Curious how the GPS circuit in the tablet matches up.

I use a samsung android tablet with an app called Gaia GPS. It is the best I have found plus I have all my music piped through the intercom as well as the MX manual on it. You can download topo USFS aerial and more! All for under $150! Not including the ram mount.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have. In my opinion this works much better. Easier to navigate, import and export tracks, download multiple maps plus the extras like spotify and the ability to store PDFs ect. The tablet was only $140 and the Gaia app was $10 so pretty cost effective also

·
Registered
400 Posts

i am guessing you are using a cellular connection or WIFI hot spot to be able to run GPS out on the trails?

·
Registered
400 Posts
No. You can download whatever maps you want while on wifi before you leave.

ko. i get that part, i was more thinking of HOW is YOUR tablet tracking you on GPS? what model is your Samsung? or are you just using it to view a map digitally and not LIVE on GPS with your location?

·
Registered
46 Posts
The tablet has built in GPS and compass so position and orientation and displayed on the map. You can also navigate to any POI or location on the map.

·
Registered
400 Posts
The tablet has built in GPS and compass so position and orientation and displayed on the map. You can also navigate to any POI or location on the map.

Sweet, what model is it so i can look at specs this seems to be a pretty inexpensive way to get GPS for Mav.. :)

does it let you download TOPO maps too?

21 - 40 of 58 Posts