Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Garmin zumo 550 I use on my motorcycle. I have never tried a topple map on it. What gps do you use and how do you mount it? Do you use topo maps?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Yes I use the garmin Montana. I live in mich and use vvmapping software with it. It has all orv and snowmobile trails. You can also route the trails also. Mine is the brp one and I use the brp dash and mount for it. I love it.

·
Premium Member
8,470 Posts
i use a Lowrance 540 Baja, mounted it front and center so i dont have to rubber neck to see it while driving. It work great for following you same route back when leading a fast ride.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Having a GPS certainly helps you lead your group rides so you can be in clean air.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
I use a Garmin E-Trex with a handle bar mount on the grab bar.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Garmin Montana 650t here with boat mount setup.

·
Registered
9,484 Posts
I use a Garmin Nuvi, because my Lowarence XOG finally died after 6 years. I just use the suction cup mount.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I use a Garmin Zumo 660. I had it on my GS Adventure but upgraded the bike and it this one laying around.

And You can download voices on the Garmns. Spoungebob was my copilot for years.

IMG_3870.jpg
IMG_3872.jpg
IMG_3873.jpg

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I use a Garmin Nuvi, because my Lowarence XOG finally died after 6 years. I just use the suction cup mount.
funny tons of us from back in the day all bought the XOG , still using mine lol

·
Registered
548 Posts
Can you load trail maps on the Nuvi? I have one laying around and just started reading this thread and the dim little light bulb just went off in my head... I could just get a ram mount for that if I can load trail maps on it!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Lowrance HDS 5M 2nd Gen in the dash with sonic hub for the stereo and Garmin 276C on the left cage tube. Both have topos, but they each have different features...nice to have both!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Lowrance HDS 5M 2nd Gen in the dash with sonic hub for the stereo and Garmin 276C on the left cage tube. Both have topos, but they each have different features...nice to have both!

I'm going to pull my Lowrance Baja 540 out of the Rhino and get this mount for it. I'm tossing around the idea of upgrading as well - the Baja has been an awesome GPS, but its dated.
I run a Garmin Legend on my bike and quads.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Damn, chances are slim to none getting lost with one of you guys.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Overall, I'm pretty disappointed in the Lowrance. I have been a Garmin guy from the beginning, but made the change for the larger screen, availability on dash mounts, and the Sonic Hub. The Sonic Hub freezes both the Ipod dock and usb drive nearly every time I go out. The 2013 Topo map card sucks majorly, but I see there is another 2014 offering with satellite imagery built in.

I tried to call Lowrance tech support last week, but it's always afternoon when I think about it and they are already closed. For right now I will plan on carrying both Garmin and the Lowrance.

What are you guys using for maps?

·
Registered
532 Posts
hmmmm - maybe I better rethink the upgrade :)
I don't know anything about the Sonic Hub - I have the maps that were available from them when I bought it - they don't compare to todays TOPO maps, and I do agree, the Garman products are easier to use and have some nicer features than the Lowrance. I wish Garmin made a unit like the Lowrance with the large screen / dash mount.

·
Registered
492 Posts
The new map might be the chit! I paid $99 for last year's and this new one is$199! If it's 75% better than last year's, I'll pay it......

This biggest complaint I have about the 2013 topo maps is that is over emphasizes the waterways.....small creeks and ditches are WAY bigger than the roads/trails on the map. Makes it hard to see at speed, so you zoom in. Then you can't see 1 mile in front of you! I have tried every setting I can find to change it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Cooter, you might want to look into a better antenna? I have a Lawrence HIS 7 gen 2 with a Point 1 antenna (reciever) I is superfast! 1 Look up it's specs, e.g. number of receivers, and refresh rate for the display. It's cutting edge.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
492 Posts
I have an external antenna and it acquires lightning fast. Its the rest of it that I'm having problems with!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts