Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,983 Posts
You really need to use a press or a ball joint tool to align it squarely. Driving ball joints in with a hammer is less than ideal and can get things out of round. If your on the trail and have no other option I get that.
Had to do that this last riding season when I broke the lower arm.... I had to reuse the old one, it was a process to keep it straight, used a same diameter socket and a dead blow.
Took two of us about 15-20 minutes to get it in. Those damn snap rings are junk too!

·
Premium Member
6,983 Posts
The upper A balljoint is pressed "in" downward.
To pop out up, the nut would have to have come off, to pop out down would mean the the hole is wallerd out, broke clip and dropped all the way through which would mean a shot A arm.

·
Premium Member
6,983 Posts
Thx for video. A couple things for my $.02. I do not like hammering down on A-arm to put that hammer force on the shock which is already at full extension, and the BJ will come out easier if you put a length of 2x4 or a jackstand to support the A-arm to the floor (or get a log on the trail or strap it up). The other thing if you want to do the heat/cold process on the trail, carry a small butane torch for the heat and you carry a can of butane for the cold, the raw butane sprayed on the BJ will cool it down more than you can imagine, easier than carrying liquid nitrogen lol. And you might carry your BJ in your cooler in a water proof baggy to precool it.
Yes true with using support.

If I'm going to carry ball joints on the trail, I may as well have a chase truck with necessary tools and A arms, trailing arms, spindles etc....it's not very common to have one go bad to where it has to be replaced on the spot.🤠 ;)

·
Premium Member
6,983 Posts
LMAO, I generally have all that stuff in the Knaack box on the trailer. Arms, Trailing arms, Rods, bearings, knuckles, brakes, diff, etc..
.......lol
Yes, that makes sense!
Thx, that tidbit helps me as a newbie to this car and Can Am. I would never expect to lose a circlip on the trail on anything and if a ball joint were worn to the state of imminent failure, I think I would know that with common maintenance review and would replace it at home.
Sorry if it sounded demeaning, I think you get the reasoning.

·
Premium Member
6,983 Posts
Did not take it that way. I am trying to humbly absorb the nuances of my new to me machine as an on-going learning process. I lurk and read more than I offer, unless it is general knowledge. This forum is not as specifically machine informative as some others I am on, and hope no one is offended by that comment. The more sharing the more knowledge base. There are several great contributors and I have found you to be one of them. Sharing experience is many times more valuable than just asking for help, and many unfortunately do not give back after they get that help, so sometimes the nuances die with their disappearance. Thanks for your and others patience with me.
Thank you!
There is a lot of dialog here, we sometimes tend to be what used to be our old car club slogan back in my high school days, "Rude, Crude and Socially Unacceptable"....lol
🤠 ;)
However I think you will find it over time to be highly resourceful. The search function is very helpful and most everything has been covered at one time or another, it's the key words that sometimes makes it difficult to find. There are many very knowledgable people on here willing to share, where between us all, the answer is typically found.
Yes I agree the are other venues outside of this one that address problems very specifically.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts