Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my upper ball joint popped out when I was riding and I'm wondering does this look hollowed out? The reason I ask is because I'm able to hit the old one in all the way with just a hammer. I ordered new upper ball joints but what concerns me now is that it's just going to pop off again. I don't remember if I put the clip on or not and that's why it popped off but me being able to lightly tap it n for it to seat all the way is concerning tell me what you think. Should I put the new one in with the clip and let it ride or get a new upper? My new uppers ball joints don't come in until tomorrow and I'm hoping that I can't tap it in with a hammer and it needs to be pressed in and my old one is just shot. Again I can't recall if I put the clip in or not.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
At about .0025" difference, that should be round enough. Now measure your new ball joint.
If you have to use a tool or press to install the ball joint, you are good to go.
If you end up with a slightly loose fit, like it just slips in by hand, you can use some Loctite bearing retainer in addition to the snap ring.

I think you put the snap ring on and it came off.
I remember when I changed my ball joints, the oem snap rings were real crap.
They easily got distorted, bent and stretched open when removed. If you reused them, that could be the whole problem.
I found some much higher quality ones that retained their springiness and shape much better. The key is to get the same thickness.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the new ones showed up tracking said tommorow but they showed today. I couldn't put it in by hand so that was a good sign.. I froze the new one and heated the upper area and pounded the new one in. I made sure the clip seated correctly. I'll finish putting the axle in tomorrow and test drive it. Thanks for the help gents.

·
Registered
68 Posts
If you had movement before you will still have it, which of course means it is wearing something as it moves. I like the idea of the Loctite and if you use such, look for the green variety which is what machinist use to fill fitment gaps.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Well the new ones showed up tracking said tommorow but they showed today. I couldn't put it in by hand so that was a good sign.. I froze the new one and heated the upper area and pounded the new one in. I made sure the clip seated correctly. I'll finish putting the axle in tomorrow and test drive it. Thanks for the help gents.
You really need to use a press or a ball joint tool to align it squarely. Driving ball joints in with a hammer is less than ideal and can get things out of round. If your on the trail and have no other option I get that.

·
Premium Member
6,983 Posts
You really need to use a press or a ball joint tool to align it squarely. Driving ball joints in with a hammer is less than ideal and can get things out of round. If your on the trail and have no other option I get that.
Had to do that this last riding season when I broke the lower arm.... I had to reuse the old one, it was a process to keep it straight, used a same diameter socket and a dead blow.
Took two of us about 15-20 minutes to get it in. Those damn snap rings are junk too!

·
Registered
2020 XRC Turbo RR
1,659 Posts
I knocked it out of the broken arm with a dead blow, of course you have to keep the stud completely straight in order to do it.
Came out of the old arm easier than installing it into the new arm.
C-Clip is only to lock it in once it's in place.
Not you, the OP. The upper joint is pressed out downward and can't just fall out. Arguably, if the joint popped out, the arm is probably toast. Maybe a joint with a threaded retention collar would work but a new OEM arm would be a lot cheaper than aftermarket balljoints..

·
Premium Member
6,983 Posts
The upper A balljoint is pressed "in" downward.
To pop out up, the nut would have to have come off, to pop out down would mean the the hole is wallerd out, broke clip and dropped all the way through which would mean a shot A arm.

·
Registered
2020 XRC Turbo RR
1,659 Posts
The upper A balljoint is pressed "in" downward.
To pop out up, the nut would have to have come off, to pop out down would mean the the hole is wallerd out, broke clip and dropped all the way through which would mean a shot A arm.
Aftermarket arm and ball joint but you get the idea. If the BJ we're pressed in from the top the c clip would have to be on the bottom and would hold the weight of the vehicle... Like some Polaris.

Automotive tire Hood Light Yellow Motor vehicle

Hood Automotive tire Light Vehicle brake Yellow

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
update: I did have to press the new one in so I think the problem was me trying to use a blow hammer, heat and ice and didn't have it seated all the way and did not have the clip on or have it on correctly. I ended up pressing the new one in with a ball joint press. Made sure the clip was seated correctly and went and romped on it. I hit a few holes hard enough to make me get out and look and she is still good to go. Thank you for all the suggestions and vide much appreciated

1 - 20 of 28 Posts