Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first ever got started in sxs/atv/offroading. always interested in hearing how people got into a sport or why. and what was your first sxs/atv if you recall.

mine was several years ago, while we love pwc riding (jet skis) and done that for years, there was always that 4 month window in which we could not really ski due to cool weather, so after a few years of that, we was at bryce canyon, utah passing through on vacation. they had sxs rentals, we rented one and knew immediately what that winter void needed to be, sxs. turns out we ride it most of year as well now. one rental and we was hooked. got off vacation and bought one. never looked back.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I have always rode in the desert as a kid. I had all the cool 3 wheelers, Quads and Dirt Bikes. Bought a Rhino in 04 because my wife hated golf carts with a passion. Drove the piss out of that rhino (4k on it when I sold it). bought a RZR in 07 along with a Redline Revolt. Sold both of those and bought a Sandcar, 2 transmissions later bought a 2012 XP. I really like Can Am products and am really waiting for the next model year to pull the trigger.

·
Registered
317 Posts
My brother grew up racing MX so I got his hand me down bikes. When he turned 16 the traveling to races all over CA slowed down and Dad put me in the sand at 6 years old on a YZ 80. Haven't stopped going since, raised my son the same way. Since I got the Mav, now he gives me crap about being on 4 wheels instead of two, but I love not waking up sore every morning at the desert now!

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I grew up doing the jeeping thing. We used to belong to the Tierra del Sol jeep club 30+ yrs ago. They always have a 4x4 rally this time of the year out near the Salton Sea/ Supertition Mtn area. That is where I learned to drive. Those 4x4 rally were so much fun once I had my own 43 Ford jeep to drive. That turned into loving the whole desert riding thing for me. Yrs later I bought a quad and then 1 buddy bought a Rhino and another buddy bought one. I didn't really like it because it was WAY too slow but I did see the fun potential. Then in 08 Kawi released their Teryx and the rest is history. When thru so many mods with the Kawi that now I happy that Can-am has enough factory power. To me the new SxS satisfies my craving for 4x4ing and also the need for speed.

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
1991 TRX 250X brand new raced four years
1988 TRX 250R used raced six years ( still enjoy, had now for 17 years, but would sell for Maverick accessories)
2008 CAN-AM RENEGADE 500 first one in south
2007 YAMAHA RHINO 660 SE SOLD that JUNK
1972 HONDA Z50 still enjoy
1974 HONDA MR50 ELSINORE untouched MINT condition
1973 HONDA Z50 under construction
2013 1/2 CAN-AM MAVERICK on truck

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
1969 rode a Honda 50 converted onto a three wheeler
Also went to Glamis every other weekend from 69-74
Mid 70's sl70, xr75
Early 80's KX 125, then a KX 250
Early 80's also ATC 180 with front suspension, then with rear suspension
mid 80's ATC 200s, and my dad handed down his KZ 900 to me when I was 15 1/2 years old!
1988 bought a TRX 250R! Rode it for 10 years WFO
Mid 90's built a type 4 powered buggy
1999 built a Ranger prerunner with 5.0 HO, C6 tranny 9" rear with 40 splines and a spool, stepped up rear of frame 10" for more up travel, 28" rear travel, 22" front travel, King coilover's and bypass in front, King shocks and big rig air bags in rear.
2007 Rhino built it into a Race Rhino
2009 bagged and linked rear of my Super Duty 16" travel. Still need to do the front
2013 Maverick
Moved to the Imperial Valley in 1979, which is where Glamis is, and it's all farm land and desert. Lived in a VERY small town called Niland from 79-99. Was able to drive out my driveway, down the side of the street for half a block, and I was in the desert. The Honda 250R was a whole lotta fun. I would ride it sometimes 7 days a week! I put 5000 miles on my Rhino. Using that as a reference, I probably did 20,000 miles on that 250R! Oh yeah, to answer the op question, my first ride was in my dads Manx buggy, and my first drive was in a Skat Trac.

·
Registered
128 Posts
road raced for many years and ran a motorcycle only race track in FL for a couple years, went back to Europe and race in 04 but had a bit of an oopsie at the end of the year and decided maybe it was time to quit (i had just turned 40) so started the dirt bike thing again and went every weekend to do dual sport or trail riding, had to take a polaris ranger EV out with us one weekend for testing since the workshop manager asked me to see how long the batteries lasted and me and the wife got hooked came into work monday morning and bought an RZR two weeks later the wife was racing it in the UTVRR championship here in GA,

the garage

out for the weekend dual sporting

on the trail

·
Registered
6 Posts
We were out fishing and camping in a remote area and seen some quadders coming out of the bush and we thought that looked like a lot of fun. Flash forward a bunch of years and a lot of details that I don't want to write about, I was at a dealers and called the wife and said I had a deal on a pair of '07 Eigers. She asked what color, I said red and green. she won't give up her red one even for my '11 Grizz. I should have held out for that XMR, but she bitches a lot at me when I leave her in the dust as it is.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts