Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to tune my 19 xds and was wondering if clutch tuning was required. I’m going with a evo 3r 91 octane tune. Also has evo cat delete and v-flow intake. Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
392 Posts
Curious as to the comparison between evo clutch weights and kwi. I currently have the evo weights in my setup. 2 of the gold weights. Currently stage 4 evo. Seemed to have dropped my overall belt temp by about 15-20 degrees without any driving style change. Haven’t really seen much difference 0-60 times though with the weight swap. Anyone here have experience going from evo to kwi or the other way around. Sorry for the highjack but I think this will add good info also to the original post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
392 Posts
I personally didn’t see to much of a belt temp increase when I went to stage 4 on stock clutching

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I plan on clutch tuning but it might be a little while before I do it and I don’t really want to cause any drivability issues. Also if I run some 93 on the 91 tune would that cause problems

·
Premium Member
10,003 Posts
The 3R tune is for either 91 or 93. If you can get 93, get that tune, IMO.

You can wait on the clutching, but trust me, once you get it done, you'll be amazed at how much better the car will be. You'll be like - "why didn't I get this done sooner"!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can get 93 close to my house but on long trail rides 91 is the best I can get so I figured it would be best to use the 91 tune.

·
Premium Member
10,003 Posts
I can get 93 close to my house but on long trail rides 91 is the best I can get so I figured it would be best to use the 91 tune.
True, good logic. You definitely don't want it pinging.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
also I purchased the map tuner so I could change tunes if needed and I plan on upgrading to bigger injectors and more power down the road

·
Vendor
X3 Max RS
614 Posts
Seems like multiple questions here...

Yes you "should" re-clutch with the evo 3r tune. You're paying for more HP but if you don't re-clutch your won't be putting all the HP to the ground. You will see a performance gain with the tune and more with clutching changes.

EVP vs KWI. Clutching is an art. There are a lot of factors that go in to clutching. Weights alone can improve your performance and get you GOOD clutching but to get GREAT clutching weights aren't the thing that may need to be changed. Primary spring, secondary spring, secondary spring wrap (preload), weights, weight design (heel vs toe weight), secondary clutch alignment and helix angles are all things that a GREAT clutch tuners will take into account when tuning. EVP generally stops at weights and maybe springs. KWI takes EVERYTHING into account when he designs and tests his clutch kits.

These X3's have lazy clutching from the factory. The clutching is setup to "work" from sea level to 10,000 FT in elevation, to work in mud, sand, rocks, desert, etc... Can-Am doesn't know where and what these cars are going to be used for from the factory so they put mild tuning in them (both in the ECU and clutching). A stock X3 can gain performance with clutching. Boondocker has a YouTube video that show a 8 WHP gain with weights alone.

My choice is KWI but your budget and HP goals may take you somewhere else...

The belt is the link between the crank and the ground. Think of belt temps like this....if you try to take off from a dead stop in your daily driver in second gear your car will go but it's not happy doing it. It's much happier starting in first gear (and better performing). Starting in second gear causes extra stress and strain on your transmission and can bog the motor. Your X3 isn't any different except the belt takes the stress and stain in the form of Belt Temp. Your X3 is constantly shifting up and down as you drive so making it happy is important for belt life. Belts break due to heat. Most commonly they get so hot the glues in the belt fail and cause delamination which causes all the other parts for the belt to fail.

The point of that story is that better clutching can reduce belt temp; therefor, increase belt life.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
About to tune my 19 xds and was wondering if clutch tuning was required. I’m going with a evo 3r 91 octane tune. Also has evo cat delete and v-flow intake. Any help would be appreciated
The first thing anyone should do before even a tune is to get the clutches tuned right. Then you can do a tune and adjust the clutches a little more. Getting the power to the ground properly is first and foremost. We beat cars that have more work done bit they dont know about clutching for shit.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: sand shark

·
Registered
9,221 Posts
I agree clutch tuning should be done to maximize your tune. You can run it and see how it does. Then get your clutch kit and see the difference.

I ran a dynojet tune on the stock clutching with no issues. I then went to a Whalen 170 tune and had Kris at KWI do my clutches when I was in Glamis. Clutch tuning improved throttle response and made the tune even better.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts