Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2020 XRC Turbo RR
53 Posts
For whatever reason when my PS was installed at the dealer, they didn’t ask how i wanted it wired up. They just ran it direct apparently because when the engine starts, so does the PS.

And the answer to your question is a resounding YES! If you’re riding in dusty conditions I would highly recommend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unless you purchase the accessory rocker switch the PS comes wired to always be on. The instructions say to attach the ring terminals to the keyed ignition side of the bus bar. I haven't gotten around to rewiring mine but I just did the standard install so the PS is on when the key is on.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I installed the S&B particle separator on my X3 Max and saw firsthand how it works. This is not "instead of" using the air filter. It is in "addition to" the air filter. Therefore, it prevents decreased airflow into the engine due to the dust clogging up the filter. It also adds positive airflow into the intake because it comes before the air filter and uses a strong fan to push the air into the intake. It increases the flow to the air filter with clean dust-free air and positive air pressure. It's perfect!
I can ride in very dusty conditions without decreased horsepower due to a clogged air filter, for several rides. If anything, it will pay for itself due to savings in screwed up air filters and dirty engines.
If you don't run one of these, and you ride in dusty conditions, try cleaning your air filter out after your weekend ride. You will be shocked by how much dirt and dust comes out of the air filter.
If I only could add one part to the X3 it would be the S&B particle separator.
ROOSTER1
Hey ROOSTER1,
Appreciate your input, and have not removed the PS, but the fan is not working. I was under the impression the fan was a scavenger. As such, would blew particles out the exhaust lower part of the PS? The PO did have the polarity of the fan wired with the fused wire connected to the negative side of the battery. I think this would cause the fan to run backwards, blowing air and particles into the air filter canister ??. Not being an expert with the PS, I agree with the general opinions that if you have it and like it great. I inspected my air filter recently, after several hundred miles of riding, and there was no dirt or dust at all in the filter or canister (PS fan off).The PS is installed, and I probably will not replace the fan. I don't believe I need a PS. It's based on my current riding preferences, territory, and condition of the air filter after my rides.
Thanks to all for your inputs and options

·
Registered
417 Posts
Put an S&B Particle Separator (PS) on my X3 when it was new in August, 2017.

Motor and turbo made to 35,000+ miles - outlasted everything except the front differential, driveline, and transmission.

So, i kinda figure it didn’t HURT anything and it was NICE going up to 5,000+ miles between air filter swaps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey ROOSTER1,
Appreciate your input, and have not removed the PS, but the fan is not working. I was under the impression the fan was a scavenger. As such, would blew particles out the exhaust lower part of the PS? The PO did have the polarity of the fan wired with the fused wire connected to the negative side of the battery. I think this would cause the fan to run backwards, blowing air and particles into the air filter canister ??. Not being an expert with the PS, I agree with the general opinions that if you have it and like it great. I inspected my air filter recently, after several hundred miles of riding, and there was no dirt or dust at all in the filter or canister (PS fan off).The PS is installed, and I probably will not replace the fan. I don't believe I need a PS. It's based on my current riding preferences, territory, and condition of the air filter after my rides.
Thanks to all for your inputs and options
Netbyte,
When your PS is functioning, hold your hand in the way of the lower part of the PS, you should feel a strong air stream. If there is no airstream then the fan is not working. Pull the face of the unit apart, after removing the screws, and check for malfunction.
If you do not ride in dusty places, you don't need the PS. If you ride in the dust, better have one. Just my opinion.
Hope this helps.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts