Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey maverick max owners,
I recently purchased a used 2016 maverick max XRS turbo and the PO installed the above item.However the PS is not connector to the PS switch, and is on with the key? Not sure why they did not use the switch, maybe to much work?Also the large air tube going to the separator affects the fit of my storage cover.

Real question is why do I need one? NONE of my riding is in the sand/dunes, or river beds, here in Arizona? And 100% of my riding is trail riding, with one or two other trail riders.
Thinking real hard of 1 install it correctly going the switch panel, so it can be turned on and off, or 2 simply removing it?

Appreciated your experienced input on the real value of the Separator based on my intended riding?

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
For whatever reason when my PS was installed at the dealer, they didn’t ask how i wanted it wired up. They just ran it direct apparently because when the engine starts, so does the PS.

And the answer to your question is a resounding YES! If you’re riding in dusty conditions I would highly recommend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
I have a switch inline on mine, but it's up over the roof, if I'm leading or out by myself than turn it off and occasionally kick it on it's scavenging the remnants off the cyclin filament and rejects the fines out the drop tube

Thinking of a timer to run it for so long than off for a time.

But out here it's advised

Not my car but how dusty it can get

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Appreciated the replies and advise on the PS. Moving forward the PS is mounted and not causing any issues, but will wire it to the switch panel, and try to remember to turn the thing on once in a while.
I do most of my trail riding up in the Coconino National Forest, and this weekend we saw several very large bull elk. Nice to explore the trails and occasionally see some native wild life. When the weather is a little on the cool side the warm Can Am cabs are very nice indeed.
Thanks

·
Registered
102 Posts
I look at it like this. Can am probably spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on their airbox design. If it really needed a particle separator they either would of came with one or had it as a factory accessory. I ride in the Tonto national forest with a group of guys and haven't had any issues with the stock filter. Particle separators take power to run and I'd rather save that power for lights instead. Just my 2ç

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Desertguy,
My sons exact opinion as well. I do know the PO on my used Maverick wired the fan wrong. The red fuse wire was on the negative post, so not sure how the fan was able to blow any particles through the exhaust port. If the fan can run backwards, than particles were being blown in to the filter area?
The fan finally stopped working recently, and a new one is $60. Not sure I want to continue to keep it operational.
Thanks for the 2 cents

·
Official Site Vendor
7,542 Posts
No fan on this one:

·
Registered
102 Posts
For it to work properly it need airflow. So, if it isn't in a direct airflow or you are stopped in a dusty area it will not work as intended. That is why the S&B has fans. Particulate filters are nothing new, they are used in aerospace, helicopters and other forms. They work the same as a Dyson vacuum or any other vacuum with the cyclonic vortexes. Like I've said before, do you really think Can am did not do it's due diligence in designing an airbox for these cars? I would really like to see the differential pressure drops from adding extra inlets into your air filter system.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Desertguy
Your comments deserve some engineering answers that is beyond my gray matter ability
Do know the particle fan blows air out the bottom of the PS maybe causing a slight air pressure negative at the intake?
I’m sure the turbo may not really give a darn and the engine runs just fine anyway?
Do know the PS people claim the main air filter life is greatly extended with their product.
Thanks for your reply

·
Registered
102 Posts
All I am saying is that your engine needs airflow to operate properly. If Can am designed the air filter/ air box assembly that required a particle separator then it would come with one. I worked in aerospace for almost 30 years, all we did was airflow. Adding one extra bend, or something inline to affect airflow your calculations will change. Can am has probably spend sever hundreds of thousands of dollars developing an air filter/ air box assembly that will work in dusty environments. Do you think that Can am never took a bunch of cars out in the desert and monitored each car for particulates in the air filter in each car after driving in dusty conditions for hours on end? I would test air quality samples with a know particulate size and enter the debris into the airstream to see how an aircraft part could handle particulates that may get ingested into an engine or bleed air. We would get anti ice valves back for rebuild from the war full of Afghanistan dirt packed inside. Blackhawk and Apache Helicopters have a special particulate pre filter for desert regions and yet they came back to us full of sand and dirt, bees and other matter.
My personal opinion is save the amperage that run the S&B, or even the non powered particle separators alone and let Can am's engineering do what they intended it to do.
Besides, if your car is under warranty and the dealer sees a particle separator on your car that can void your warranty as well. I run the stock filter with an outerwears pre filter over my stock filter and have not had any problems between changes in the Arizona dry desert.

·
Registered
478 Posts
The S&B PS is a factory accessory. I bought mine from my dealer. It has a Can Am part number. Just because it does not come standard does not mean it is not designed to be used on the machine. Lots of things are not standard equipment. Roofs, lower doors, windshields, rock sliders, beadlock wheels, the list goes on. The PS is an optional accessory that may or may not be desired for your type of riding. If you don't want to use it you could probably sell it for about $300 to someone else. Different strokes for different folks. It's all good. Have fun, be safe.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I can personally attest to the benefits and worth of the S&B particle separator. If I could only put one accessory on my ride,,, it would be the S&B.

All I am saying is that your engine needs airflow to operate properly
You are 100% correct. And what happens when the air filter (doing it's intended purpose) begins to get clogged with particulates? Your airflow is reduced. The greater the amount of particulates in/on the air filter, the greater reduction of airflow to the engine.

The S&B is there to REDUCE the amount of particulates that reach the air filter over a given amount of time, thus INCREASING the airflow to the engine between air filter service intervals.

If Can am designed the air filter/ air box assembly that required a particle separator then it would come with one.

Don't forget, EVERY engineering/manufacturing decision must also be justified to, and approved by, the "real boss",,,,, ACCOUNTING.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If can am is riding their product hours on end. I’m sure they know they have a weak front end but don’t do the things from the factory to reinforce it. Just because they know something can later become a problem doesn’t mean they are going to pay extra for the customer benefit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I installed the S&B particle separator on my X3 Max and saw firsthand how it works. This is not "instead of" using the air filter. It is in "addition to" the air filter. Therefore, it prevents decreased airflow into the engine due to the dust clogging up the filter. It also adds positive airflow into the intake because it comes before the air filter and uses a strong fan to push the air into the intake. It increases the flow to the air filter with clean dust-free air and positive air pressure. It's perfect!
I can ride in very dusty conditions without decreased horsepower due to a clogged air filter, for several rides. If anything, it will pay for itself due to savings in screwed up air filters and dirty engines.
If you don't run one of these, and you ride in dusty conditions, try cleaning your air filter out after your weekend ride. You will be shocked by how much dirt and dust comes out of the air filter.
If I only could add one part to the X3 it would be the S&B particle separator.
ROOSTER1

·
Registered
2020 Maverick X3 Max X RS Turbo RR
244 Posts
I’m stoked on the S&B. This was one of the first aftermarket parts I put on. It prevents much of the dust from even reaching my air filter. I was amazed when I checked the filter during my first trip with it and there was virtually no dust in my filter. I don’t think it’s meant to improve performance, it just makes filter maintenance intervals way less frequent.

·
Registered
298 Posts
First, I do not have a Particle Separator installed on my rig. The OP's question was on whether or not he "needs" one. It seems to me that the stated results, for those that have one installed, are anecdotal rather than based on data to support the increased efficiency of air flow, or reduced wear to engine components due to reducing dust penetration as compared solely to the the stock filter. I would suggest that installing a PS might be based on how long you intend on owning the rig, can it transferred to a new rig, any resulting of "piece of mind", and if funds support the expense. Hoping you will decrease engine wear is probably unproven due to the high number of variables.

·
Registered
20 Posts
First, I do not have a Particle Separator installed on my rig. The OP's question was on whether or not he "needs" one. It seems to me that the stated results, for those that have one installed, are anecdotal rather than based on data to support the increased efficiency of air flow, or reduced wear to engine components due to reducing dust penetration as compared solely to the the stock filter. I would suggest that installing a PS might be based on how long you intend on owning the rig, can it transferred to a new rig, any resulting of "piece of mind", and if funds support the expense. Hoping you will decrease engine wear is probably unproven due to the high number of variables.
Need was the question. My answer should have been if you are happy with your car, the way it is, then good for you.
I thought the OP might want to know why I was so happy with the particle separator.
I will keep it to myself next time.
Happy Trails!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just plan ahead for all of your power usages. Lights, GPS, radio, intercom and so on. If you plan on adding more electronics to your car, I suggest a good second battery. Our cars put out 50A and a Rigid light bar can use 40A alone,

1 - 20 of 24 Posts