Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
I would personally build or have built a 6 or 8 rotor with naza flight controller, go pro, gimbal, etc.

Then you can use a true FPV like the Fatshark goggles for example, without being limited to the range of wifi, a day watching on your phones small screen.

The DJI is a nice package for the beginner, but you can do a lot better for the same money with a little r search.

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
Food for thought, before anybody goes out and spends $1000 and up,spend only a $100 on a lesser quad and learn to fly it, they are now that easy but you will master it. Then go out to any dry lake, R.C.air park ect. and somebody will be more than happy to tell you about them.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My friend, I used to tour with remote control airplanes to events...fly in front of thousands of people. 12 foot wingspan, 100 horsepower, hovering them like helicopters....I think I can handle a $1000 quad. ;) My planes were worth anywhere between 8 and 30 grand. Just got tired of mile-ing out brand new trucks...but had some great times.

The thing I like about the DJI is the GPS features. Can you build the lose radio hover and come home features as well? The DJI for what you are getting isn't too bad...or maybe I am way off base and there are better and less expensive options. The radio is trash, that's for sure. 10 years ago when I was still flying that stuff you could fly them out of sight by miles and still have control of them. They talk about 700 meters? That is a really bad radio setup. I am interested in this sort of thing, so anyone that knows more or anything I'd love to hear it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Yes the Naza flight processor has GPS

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll have to check it out. I wonder if you could somehow get it to follow a UTV or ATV and film....that would be insanely cool.

·
Vendor
6,222 Posts
CT Race Worx shock tune...:

This is from when we were doing 2.0 shock testing with Steveman18. My buddy just bought the quad chopper and this was his first time flying it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I'll have to check it out. I wonder if you could somehow get it to follow a UTV or ATV and film....that would be insanely cool.
my buddy actually drives and flys his out on the trails. they are amazingly easy to fly!!! I bought the 7" screen for my so I don't have to use my smart phone!!! so I can fly,film wheel and make a phone call at the same dam time!!!

AREED nice video!!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wait wait wait....you have one? Which one? Total expense? And Alex that is killer, do you know what model it was?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Would be pretty sweet if you had a passenger that was good enough to follow you as you were hauling ass through some trails or dunes.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The DJI models will do 30, of course I imagine going that fast will use a lot more battery. I am going to figure this stuff out, I used to love flying...and this has added benefit and purpose.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Aerospace engineering Vehicle Airline Airplane

thats mine in the vid of the utv race over here in Guam. I have the phantom 2 with the go pro gimbal..i got about 1800 into it. we have three now in our group but mines the only one with the go pro gimbal..it makes a huge difference in the quality of the video.

they are not that difficult to fly..they are GPS driven and the return back to the location it launched from if you lose connection..

·
Registered
640 Posts
I have been looking at these things for a little while... looks like a lot of fun.... I want one! But I don't think I can handle another hobby I will want to upgrade all the time!

Reactions: Zakka

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah, 3 axis gimbal is a must in my opinion. I am looking at the DJI Phantom Vision 2 plus. Only reason I haven't pulled the plug is I do not like the proprietary battery...so I can't upgrade it myself terribly easily. I'd want to try to increase flight time on the thing to like 30, so you can do about half that all out flying chasing UTV's etc.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts