Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Vendor
X3 Max RS
653 Posts
So you’re not hitting boost? Looks like the Stage 3int should be doing 15.5 psi and you’re around 12-13 psi.

What does the wastegate duty cycle look like? Is it trying to get more boost and can’t?

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
See what your saying. I sent the log file off to Andy (Pwrtune) to see if he had any ideas.

I you look at the graphs it does eventually get to correct RPM ~8100 but boost stays flat in the 12-13psi range for the most part throughout the entire run.
First of all get a different tuner!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Try a different belt. I was getting low rpm’s and kept pulling weight and never got it right. Threw a new oem belt on and fixed the issue.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
So yeah its looking more like my tune. Did some sea level runs and RPMs and boost are where I would expect them. Talking to Andy I don't think his tunes are the best option for those who run high altitude and want max performance. The boost targets in his tune are not static and vary based on current barometric pressure. So as you go up in altitude, boost targets drop and why I was only making 12-13PSI at elevation. He said my logs looked right for the altitude I was at. Correct me if I am wrong but dont most tuners lean on the turbo a little harder at altitude to make up for the loss in atmospheric pressure? Why some tuners say you might need a little more crack pressure at altitude?

I do a lot of high altitude riding so may be looking to change tunes.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
I had a lot of problems with your said tuner. As far as I'm concerned he does not know what he is doing!

He has cost me a lot of time and $$$.

My car makes about 30 psi at sea level and was just at St. Anthony and it made about 25 because of the altitude. John Whalen is my tuner now. A quick email to him and he boosted my WGDC and brought my boost up to 27......you won't get the same boost at 5000 feet but you shouldn't be seeing that big a drop.
I recommend John as his tunes have been flawless for my car and a buddy of mine's car.

I have found increasing crack pressure does not seem to make much of a difference at altitude.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I'm not sure there is a high alt boost pressure table. I was under the impression that's all handled by the ecu. Unless the WGDC has a high alt table. Problem is if there is only one table and they lean on it for your altitude and you go to Glamis you might see overboost.

·
Vendor
X3 Max RS
653 Posts
I have said that over and over. Tuners advertise these big HP on their sea level dynos and everyone thinks they are awesome yet their tunes and kits don’t perform at altitude. If you ride or at sea level that’s perfectly fine. But if you ride at altitude look for a company that actually knows altitude like Packard or Boondocker. Their kits and tune out down big numbers AT altitude.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
It looks like I am also tapping out my stock injectors at sea level, I dont think the DC should be this high right?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
105% looks maxed out @16psi
you can put all three grafts on one

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm not sure there is a high alt boost pressure table. I was under the impression that's all handled by the ecu. Unless the WGDC has a high alt table. Problem is if there is only one table and they lean on it for your altitude and you go to Glamis you might see overboost.
There are two boost tables. It takes the difference between the two and multiplies the difference with a value from a barometric multiplier table. Many tuners, including dynojet, just set both boost tables the same which causes issues with altitude changes.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I have said that over and over. Tuners advertise these big HP on their sea level dynos and everyone thinks they are awesome yet their tunes and kits don’t perform at altitude. If you ride or at sea level that’s perfectly fine. But if you ride at altitude look for a company that actually knows altitude like Packard or Boondocker. Their kits and tune out down big numbers AT altitude.
To my knowledge neither PackTard or BD offer stock tubo tunes, only big turbo.

·
Registered
873 Posts
There are two boost tables. It takes the difference between the two and multiplies the difference with a value from a barometric multiplier table. Many tuners, including dynojet, just set both boost tables the same which causes issues with altitude changes.
That's exactly what I was hoping. Looks like I'll be writing my own tunes here soon enough then. Providing work and home schooling stay out of my way

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Can anyone confirm if Whalen makes use of both tables?

Looks like we need to bucket tuners into one of two categories. Those who do, and those who dont tune for altitude.

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
I have heard about this problem and I think my buddies car is dealing with it also. He has Evo tune x100 tune and it Frickin kills cars at Glamis we would beat up big Turbo cars from various builders but it's off up in st Anthony. So on a dyno in st Anthony it only shows 154hp.
So yes there is a parameter not being valued correctly for the elevation for sure.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
268 Posts
So yeah its looking more like my tune. Did some sea level runs and RPMs and boost are where I would expect them. Talking to Andy I don't think his tunes are the best option for those who run high altitude and want max performance. The boost targets in his tune are not static and vary based on current barometric pressure. So as you go up in altitude, boost targets drop and why I was only making 12-13PSI at elevation. He said my logs looked right for the altitude I was at. Correct me if I am wrong but dont most tuners lean on the turbo a little harder at altitude to make up for the loss in atmospheric pressure? Why some tuners say you might need a little more crack pressure at altitude?

I do a lot of high altitude riding so may be looking to change tunes.
I have had a lower boost reading on my PV3 at 4000-4500ft as well. But my readings stick around 14.5psi at WOT on flat ground. My Stage3int. Tune advertises 15.5psi. I reached out to PWRTUNE awhile ago and he said the discrepancy was due to the difference in barometric pressure at elevation. So this topic is definitely interesting and not knowing much about these things I am following.

I have not had a chance to ride at sea level but would be interested to see if boost sticks around the advertised 15.5Psi.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I take back previous statement...
Just went out on pavement and my boost psi from a 15-20mph roll to WOT jumps to 14-5 to 14-8 but then settles right around 14 and holds.
This is with a brand new air filter and at 4200ft elevation.
Wondering if I am not pulling as much power as I should or if the ECU and PV3 are not communicating this reading correctly. When I sent PWRTUNE my logs he said the car is reaching absolute pressure and is making advertised 15.5psi but due to barometric pressure I’m seeing lower numbers On my PV3.
I’m going to try reaching back out to PWRTUNE and get a better understanding of what is going on.

·
Premium Member
7,482 Posts
Everyone loves to talk about boost in psi terms. People would understand a lot more if they researched what gauge pressure is vs absolute pressure. And start talking in terms of pressure ratio and not just boost pressure.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you are running the stock turbo near its limit at sea level (80+ WGDC), it’s not going to maintain absolute pressure at high altitudes no matter what you do in the tune.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts