Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running three magnets in each primary weight and have their secondary spring in position #1 per the instructions. My RPMs when I stab the throttle are only ~7300RPM then slowly climb to ~8100 by 50-60MPH. See attached graph. That was a pass I logged while up at 7000ft elevation on flat ground. Pwrtune Stage3int on heavy dirt tires running WBB belt.

I just got back from St Anthony (5000ft) on buffed paddles and saw similar low RPM numbers pulling dunes. Man there were some stupid fast X3s there...

Attachments

·
Vendor
X3 Max RS
652 Posts
Suggested RPM should be 7900-8000. You should try dropping a magnet. Out of each weight.

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Do you have a picture of the arms. I'm curious to see there style.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also worth noting my belt temps are a little higher (~20* on average) than they were with the stock clutch and high altitude primary weights I ran for quite some time.

I can give 2 magnets a try but it seems like most of the reading I did said 3 was the ticket to get into the 8K RPM range early. I also have concern about belt grip with no heel weight on these arms so am somewhat hesitant to drop any more magnets.

To be honest the car doesn't feel any faster than it did with stock clutch setup and I've confirmed that racing one of my buddies before/after

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I think something is wrong with your setup. I have the same tune and same weights on my DJ kit.
I see what you mean on the graph. It shouldn't take six seconds to ramp up to 8k.
My kit quickly jumps up to 8K+ and holds it. I thought the kit made as much difference as the tune.
Sorry I don't remember the setting for the secondary spring.

·
Vendor
X3 Max RS
652 Posts
I would check that the secondary is wrapped the correct direction and that the rollers are sitting on the correct helix ramp. Low RPMs are an indicator of improper wrap. A picture of the helix sitting on the rollers maybe enough to see if it’s clocked the wrong direction.

Moving the secondary spring from one position to another and adding wrap can change peak RPM +/- 200 RPM.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think something is wrong with your setup. I have the same tune and same weights on my DJ kit.
I see what you mean on the graph. It shouldn't take six seconds to ramp up to 8k.
My kit quickly jumps up to 8K+ and holds it. I thought the kit made as much difference as the tune.
Sorry I don't remember the setting for the secondary spring.
Yep thats the problem I see. Dont think a change in primary weights will solve the slow ramp in RPMs. Im going to pull the secondary and go from there.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have the same setup on my Max X3 with a stage 2 tune from AA. I am also running 3 weights with 32" tires at 4500 ft elavation. When I stab the throttle from a stop it jumps to 7700ish then climbs to 8100k pretty fast. I am thinking your secondary needs to be adjusted.

·
Vendor
X3 Max RS
652 Posts
Assuming you had to add wrap to get it to that position and all the clutch components are healthy (no broken springs) I wonder if this is a power problem not a clutch problem...

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Do you have a picture of the arms. I'm curious to see there style.

Vyg and the hf0ohoh

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Also worth noting my belt temps are a little higher (~20* on average) than they were with the stock clutch and high altitude primary weights I ran for quite some time.

I can give 2 magnets a try but it seems like most of the reading I did said 3 was the ticket to get into the 8K RPM range early. I also have concern about belt grip with no heel weight on these arms so am somewhat hesitant to drop any more magnets.

To be honest the car doesn't feel any faster than it did with stock clutch setup and I've confirmed that racing one of my buddies before/after
Mo 0pmp

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Assuming you had to add wrap to get it to that position and all the clutch components are healthy (no broken springs) I wonder if this is a power problem not a clutch problem...
Yep with hole position #1 I wrapped the secondary the 120* or so it said in the instructions. It was that or drop it straight down with no tension. The clutch itself seems to be working/shifting fine other than the slow ramping RPMs. BUT it feels a lot like stock.

Here are my boost numbers during that run. Again this was at 7000-7500ft elevation. I have yet to run with the clutch below 5K feet elevation.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
You have to many weights in your arms. When I ran that kit with a similar staged power set up, I ran a combo of 1-2 weights depending on the elevation. Get yourself the clutch tool from Trevor so you can pull arms and adjust weights quickly. Don't stress about the heel weight. I went through an entire dune season beating the shit out of my car without breaking a belt on that kit.

Don't mess with your secondary, it's good in hole 1, and should have been HARD to get there if wound correctly.

2018.5 X3 Max XRS // Grove Fabworks, Aftermarket Assassins, Dynojet, CT front end, CA Tech, UMP, HSP, Rugged, Sandcraft, Running Whalen Speed 205

423 Posts
Yep with hole position #1 I wrapped the secondary the 120* or so it said in the instructions. It was that or drop it straight down with no tension. The clutch itself seems to be working/shifting fine other than the slow ramping RPMs. BUT it feels a lot like stock.

Here are my boost numbers during that run. Again this was at 7000-7500ft elevation. I have yet to run with the clutch below 5K feet elevation.
That boost is showing in Inches mercury. Looks to be about 28 peak and averaging between 26-27 which converts to about 12-13 psi of boost. I would try to remove weight like mentioned and see if boost goes up once it's under load at the correct rpm, if it doesn't you've got a power issue. Also I can send you one of my weight changing tools. 5% off for forum discount. 85.50 and some change for shipping.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
See what your saying. I sent the log file off to Andy (Pwrtune) to see if he had any ideas.

I you look at the graphs it does eventually get to correct RPM ~8100 but boost stays flat in the 12-13psi range for the most part throughout the entire run.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts