Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
For a quick reference I typically use 2/3 for yield. IE 6061 has 66% of the yield strength of 4130. If you know the OD of each then you could make a fair comparison.
Right but you're still comparing .250 wall aluminum to .120 chromoly.

In any event, I didn't post the Kartek option because it was the cheapest but because I don't think there is anything stronger that is off-the-shelf available for someone who just wants to buy something and bolt it on his car.

·
Registered
364 Posts
That is why I sated that you need to know the OD. With that you then calculate the cross sectional area...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Well that looks like a smoking deal. Check that the heims are indeed JMX versions because FK makes more than a few different types. The tubing thickness of those is at most half of what the Kartek rods are made of but still probably pretty strong. In any event just 12 good rod ends and 24 spacers is gonna set you back over 500 bucks just about anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Emailed Grounded4 directly.

The kit includes FK Kmx10 rod ends, but can upgrade you Jmx10T for $150 more.

And I have priced out the Jmx10T ends, jam nuts, and misalignment spacers from more than a few places ... you’re correct. $600 in just hardwear.

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
I built sandcars for years and tried numerous rod ends. All the Chinese ones are crap IMHO.

I wouldn't use anything but FK JMX or equivalent quality. The KMX rod ends are garbage. The injection molded KMX style from any manufacturer get massive play in no time.

I'm a fabricator/ car and engine builder for a living, and I looked into building my own rods. After looking at the cost I decided for about $150 more I could just purchase some really nice rods and ends. I ended up going with the CT Raceworx ones with the higher clearance Uni-ball lowers and JMX equipped uppers.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts