Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting to make this post for awhile. I have a 2008 Maverick Trail 800dps with the Can Am 72" pro mount plow.
I used it to plow for a couple winters and realized I wanted the can enclosed.
I already had the Tusk windshield and rear lexan window, roof and Trail doors. That wasn't enough so I started looking for upper doors we'll at the time Can Am was the only one offering them and I looked long and hard because I really didn't want to shell out the money for those. After hours of web searching I decided to try and come up with something on my own.
I found a few posts and some vids on YouTube and decided soft uppers was my goal.
As far as the material I wanted I really had no idea what to look for. I knew what I wanted(ish) but didn't know how to find it.
I looked for quite awhile and came up with nothing.
I was at my son's house one day helping him with some stuff and walked by his pellet grill and was like "see this? This material is kinda what I want for my uppers". I had no idea how to find something like that.
So I'm out and about around town one day and figured I check Joann Fabric and maybe Wally World because (they used to carry fabrics and stuff). Well came up short at both spots. As I'm leaving Wally World I happen to notice

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you're wondering how this goes keep reading.
So I see this Grill cover at Walmart and started doing some figuring in my head as far as how much material I may need. I looked at the price and said to myself "shit for 20 bucks why not?" Lol.
I get home and go into the garage where my Buggy is open the "grill cover" box and pull out this mammoth piece of material...this freakin' thing is HUGE. I may end up picking up another one for my Road King..lol (it's not quite that big but you get the point).
So I get this thing out and start brain storming. It's sewn together in three sections; front,middle(top),back. As I'm looking at it I realize I am going to have plenty of fabric for what I want to do. so I cut the middle(top) at the seams of the front and back panel and was left with the front and back panel and the middle(top).
I'm looking at the front and back panels which are shaped like this. Rectangle Font Parallel Symmetry Circle
Rectangle Font Parallel Symmetry Circle

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As I'm looking at the front panels I think"what are the chances?" I hold the panel up to the roof and slide it towards the front a pillar of the role bar and I'll be a Son of a Bitch didn't it match the angle almost perfect. I was like "no shit".
Now it's time figure out what else I'll need for my "Grill Expert"uppers.
I start looking at picsother sxs soft uppers and started compiling a list of things I may need . Poly window material ,zippers,Velcro,Snaps,some sort of straps maybe,sewing machine and the list grew the more I thought about it I was like there is no freakin' way I'm gonna pull this of considering I didn't even know how to thread a sewing machine.
Are you all interested in the full story ? It's gonna be a long one. Follow the thread for more I'm getting tired of typing on my phone..and I'm Currently at work so keep checking back. This may take a while for the final reveal I'll try and keep you interested.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok.
Once I came up with a rough design I needed to get the rest of the materials I needed..
I believe most of the stuff I got off Amazon and fleabag.
I ended up getting if I (remember correctly) a piece of 30 gauge clear vinyl 54"x110". 8' of (don't remember the size) heavy duty plastic bulk zipper,10' of 2" wide Velcro and a snap kit from the camping section of Wally World...
That is what I ordered to get me going.
Now. For the sewing machine I had no idea on what I would need so I started watching vids on YouTube and reading forums on sewing and what not.(yeah,yeah,yeah I should hand in my "man card")
But that's what I did..
I came across some videos on YouTube from Sailrite they are a marine upholstery company. Holy shit I think I watched almost every video they had at least twice. They had a lot of awesome tips and tricks and instructional vids. I really learned a lot and there is probably no way I could have pulled this off without them.
While watching the videos I realized I was going to need a few more things. First was some 1/2" "Basting Tape" I think I got like 150' for like 12 bucks maybe..I was going to need some good quality scissors ( I picked up a set of FISKARS at Wally World).
Now for the sewing machine.
I watched those videos a they had these industrial sewing machines that are crazy expensive and there was no way I was gonna buy one of those..so reading forums and what not I realized that the old Singer sewing machines are tanks. Well finding this out I called my Monster-in-law because I knew she had one from I think her mother. Either way this thing is quite old and I knew she still used it when she needed to..so she dropped it off to me. It was a (I believe 1948) Singer Featherweight. Man that thing is small. But what a little beast.

Sewing machine Sewing machine feet Household appliance accessory Home appliance Creative arts

I really had no idea how small it actually was. But anyway it did everything I needed it to do.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where was I? Ok..I got the sewing machine now I need to learn how to use it. YouTube once again! I can sew with a needle and thread but I had no idea how to use a sewing machine. After watching ton of vids it was time to get started...
I had ordered some black heavy duty thread from Sailrite when I ordered the Basting Tape I went to Walmart and got some Denim needles and not I set.
I needed a pattern! I took a clear garbage bag and taped it from the roof to the door and then along the A pillar and back to the rear of the roll bar.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Car

Like this ..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Once I got the plastic in place I traced along the roll bar and door for a rough pattern.
After I got the basic shape outlined I took it off the machine and started trimming and fitting until I was satisfied with the fit.
Once the pattern was made I transferred it to my "grill cover" material and added about an inch or so to the overall size so I could sew the edge over for a finished look.
I then cut the pattern out of the material and after minor tweaks hear and there came up with this.
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Wheel

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How am I going attach it to the machine? That's where the Velcro comes in.
Some of the ones I saw while doing my research used sticky Velcro on the machine and added the loop side to the enclosure. I wasn't a big fan of that so I came up with my own plan.
I chose to make Velcro loops that would go around the roll bar and that are sewn to the enclosure. Simply wrap it around the roll bar and go...
Along the A pillar I put the loops all the way up through about 1 1/2" between them. Probably around 6 of them or so. I put I think 4 along the top and 3 around the rear roll bar.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Now as far as attaching it to the door I decided on snap buttons. Some of the ones I saw while doing research has the snaps on the outside of the machine , I didn't want to see the snaps on the machine so I put mine on the inside of the doors..I think there are like 4-5 I added.
Next was installing the zipper and the vinyl window..
While the soon to be upper was on the machine I drew out the shape of door opening . I tried to keep my angles to a minimum so the zipper would pull smoothly.
This is where the "basting Tape" comes in. I cut my zipper to the rough length I needs. Then I put basting tape on each side of the zipper (left and right). Once the basting tape was stuck on the zipper I peeled the paper backing off the other side. With the zipper zipped together I centered the zipper teeth on my pre determined line and stuck it in place.
After it was stuck in place I went to the sewing machine and sewed the outer edge of the zipper onto the fabric.
Once sewn on I unzipped and carefully made a cut in the fabric down the center of the zipper. Now I have two pieces of material with a zipper half on each.
I took the window portion and pulled the fabric back from the zipper to the seam, folded it inward and tucked it under sticking it back to the zipper creating a finished edge and sewed it in place. Then I did the same thing to the outer piece of fabric ( the outer portion of the uppers). I installed the zipper pulls and was ready to get started on the window.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Doing the window I figured would be a real pain in the a$$, turns out it wasn't all that bad.
I drew out the shape of the window on the panel using chalk. Once I had the shape I wanted I took some measurements and laid the window shape on a piece of cardboard adding an inch or so to the over all size for sewing.
I transferred the pattern to my clear vinyl using a sharpie and then cut I put.
Once cut out I then attached the vinyl to the inside of the panel using the basting tape.
Back to the sewing machine. I sewed the outside edge of the vinyl to the panel. Basically the same way I did the zipper. I then had to cut the panel to expose the window. While doing so I left about an inch of material from the seam so I could fold it under like I did when I finished off the zipper. Here it is but at this point not quite finished..
Tire Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Car

Notice the zipper tail hasn't been cut yet and I still needed to add my snaps along the bottom edge and some fitment adjustments some hardware adjustments and some things I've changed since I originally made them..stick around I'll try and finish this up in a couple more post with the final product pic to come...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I made these uppers I think 2 years ago. Since then I made a few modifications to them . The first is that I added a strap to secure the back of the panels from side to side . Hood Motor vehicle Car Automotive lighting Automotive design

I used a $3 sleeping bag strap from local sporting goods store. Sewed it too each side and just buckle it together. I literally only remove the entire set of panels in the summer so when I put them on in the fall they don't come off.
I also added a strap to the inside to keep the top of the panels tight. I used the other sleeping bag strap ( 2 to a pack) and sewed the buckle and the other end of the strap to a "y" piece of 2" webbing I had laying around Hood Automotive tire Aircraft Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

This really tightened up the panels.
I added a snap to the front of the panels to keep more draft out Hood Plant Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design

Here is a pic of the grill cover tag I left on..it makes a great conversation piece.🤣 Hood Sleeve Grey Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

And then the final reveal Tire Wheel Hood Automotive tire Tread
Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Plant Sky

Tire Wheel Plant Sky Automotive tire

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts