Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any dune riders ever thought about ditching your front drive shaft, diff, and axles to save weight? Don't know if it would help any? Just a thought, I mainly run the dunes and know weight can be a problem sometimes. I know I use 4wd but I'm tossing around the idea of getting a sand tire setup and don't know how good the smooth buff tires would even pull in 4wd.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
search megadesertdiesel

he posted exact same thing and wants to do it , u just need axle stubs I think

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks Benzo!

Reactions: Benzo

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
n.p.

funny I didn't even see u have his led light swap , lol ya give him a shout :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have a set of 7 paddle scats and a set of buffs for dune riding. I use 4X4 quite a bit. The buffs pull real well. The 4x4 helps get to the top of the hills. I would not make my 4x4 unavailable. Had I known how much 4x4 helps I would have saved the money on the buffs and just run the stock fronts with the rear scats.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The smooth buffs pull like an animal in 4x4. Back in the day the old sand draggers used smooth buffs on all 4 corners… I can see shedding the weight but you will never get the hole shot against a 4x4 in 2x2. I am running a rough buff on the front which is better than a front knob.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
n.p.

funny I didn't even see u have his led light swap , lol ya give him a shout :)
Lol yea, that was the first thing I did to my Mav. I had some duallys laying around that we're supposed to go on my Sandrail but I sold it. I saw his kit and had to order it

Ok sounds like 4wd will stay then. I just wasn't sure how well the buffs pull.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
The Ruff Buff Skat traks pull really good. Heres a video of My Max at Glamis running around for fun one day with Skat Trak Buffs on all for corners. And if you notice I don't even have to Pin it. it just cruises right up. LOL

Reactions: Tzenev

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Warlock, thats awsome! lol that just blew my mind:popped out:

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What size are those?

·
Registered
5,752 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Same size tire size I'm looking at getting for the paddle set up. You like the staggered glider set up more or just the regular 7 or 8 paddle?

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Same size tire size I'm looking at getting for the paddle set up. You like the staggered glider set up more or just the regular 7 or 8 paddle?
I kinda like my 7 Paddle Skats on my Max. But the 12 Paddle glider is really close. For a great all around tire I would say Go for the 12 Staggered Glider.

Reactions: mearsman and Tzenev

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok. I'm thinking with the staggered setup it might work better here in Oregon where the sand is a little softer, and quite a bit of faster trails that I like to run.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I used to mostly run 2wd in the dunes until I installed the belt temp gauge. I noticed in 2wd when running it hard, temp gets up to about 190+. When using 4wd, it'll drop to 160 degrees. Granted 2wd is more fun to drive, but not worth burning up belts. IMO

·
Registered
9,362 Posts

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
IMHO the only benefits I see are lower weight and they won't throw as much sand into your face.
they dig cause drag and slow u down and do throw sand on you , lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts