Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 300 miles, here's some pictures of how much dust made it past the air filter! The Commander forum says that the stock air box lets dust seep through under the lid, and now I believe it! Thank goodness for the post filter!!! The main filter had dust on top of it near the corners of the post filter. There's also pictures of the lid that I wiped my finger in the dust to show how much is on the wrong side of the filter!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
X2 on the grease it worked on my commander but i would look into a weller racing type of intake and filter with a prefilter

·
Registered
2019 max R turbo
831 Posts
The commanders went thru this cramp for a long time. There are tons of different threads about this very issue. Both my commanders had the same issue til I replaced it with a Weller Racing intake. Despite what people think never in 2.5 years has any dirt, sand, or water got past my filter and outter wear. I seal the stock air box with grease on my Glamis trip in the Mav and no sand got thru but I saw fine dust and dirt in the clean box.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Wow what a disappointment, if either was my machine I would make sure the dealer has it documented. Maybe some grease around the edges would help but I don't see it fixing the problem completely.

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
no no, you have ut wrong. the air comes in from the bottom where my pile of sand it then through the paper pleets then down through the oiled foam and then into the intake.

I have ZERO dust or sand past the post oiled filter in my intake. The stock airbox worked great for me.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Hey all... the air filter is the same as on the Commander.. we race these things and tried everything... motorcycle grease..everything. Best thing to do is replace it with a Weller or UTV inc fliter. You'll get more air to the motor and risk contamination by dirt and dust. We use a filter made for off road racing. Why risk it.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Why can't we get a foam oiled filter on the Weller intake? Does it only accept the pleated paper conical style filter, like K&N?

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
it looks like a round tube. as long as the filter fit tight i dont see why not. But dry AFE blue filter with an outerware would be perfect. I have a couple in the garage i bought to make a dual intake for my Dodge but never got to it. I will have to pull one out and make a reducer to the stock intake tube.

·
Registered
2019 max R turbo
831 Posts
Why can't we get a foam oiled filter on the Weller intake? Does it only accept the pleated paper conical style filter, like K&N?
Jason at Weller Racing does not use the foam filter on any of their intake systems but I'm sure you can adapter a filter to the setup if that is your preference. There obviously people who believe in the foam vs the K/N style filter and each to their own.

·
Registered
998 Posts
no no, you have ut wrong. the air comes in from the bottom where my pile of sand it then through the paper pleets then down through the oiled foam and then into the intake.

I have ZERO dust or sand past the post oiled filter in my intake. The stock airbox worked great for me.
Thanks for clearing it up, after looking closely again from my phone I see how the airbox setup works. Not near as bad as my initial opinion but still needs to be addressed

·
Registered
157 Posts
The stock filter is a just pos, I've greased ect on my commander the dirts getting through the filter not around it on mine.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Hey all... the air filter is the same as on the Commander.. we race these things and tried everything... motorcycle grease..everything. Best thing to do is replace it with a Weller or UTV inc fliter. You'll get more air to the motor and risk contamination by dirt and dust. We use a filter made for off road racing. Why risk it.
The stock filter is a just pos, I've greased ect on my commander the dirts getting through the filter not around it on mine.

The thing you guys on the West Coat don't understand is that we ride through water and Mud here on the East... When I'm running down Fire or Gas Well Road at 60 and Come up on a hole I don't slow down... The Dirty Water Splashes all over the area where the Weller would go therefore sucking in water... My buddy tried it... He went back to the stock airbox... I personally haven't had any trouble on both of my Commanders but it seems some do... We only have heavy dust a few months out of the year tho....

·
Registered
310 Posts
Don't laugh at me to hard, but I used a cut down to size a ladies stocking, and put it over the breather port. and it kept the sand out. But now I'm running the UTV.Inc air intake. Thats on my Cmdr, but the filter box looks the same as the Cmdr. I would send a picture but I'm not home to do it.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Checked my post filter and it had a little dust in it, not a lot but enough for it to stay in there. I'm usually leading the group so I would imagine if I was sucking dust all day it would be worse.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts