Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was leafing the 2019 model book and saw that there are 3 different smartlock modes claimed by can am. The xrs has trail mode smart lock the xrc has rock mode. And the xmr has mud mode. Does anyone know what the difference is i talked to my local dealer and they were also unsure what the actual differences were. Any insite would be much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,480 Posts
I doubt anyone knows for sure. Maybe BRP engineers, but that is likley it. Tim

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I was leafing the 2019 model book and saw that there are 3 different smartlock modes claimed by can am. The xrs has trail mode smart lock the xrc has rock mode. And the xmr has mud mode. Does anyone know what the difference is i talked to my local dealer and they were also unsure what the actual differences were. Any insite would be much appreciated.

The three modes are different “lok” parameters. As in how soon it locks and at what resistance it takes to lock or unlock it.

I would assume the rock module would lock the fastest and trail would be slowest but I don’t know...

But there is three, because if you add the Smart lok front diff as an accessory then you can choose which module you want.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Dunno if the salesperson was smarter than me or not, but he explained that the different modes depicted different amounts of preload applied to the variable clutches in the diff.

Trail mode is no preload and it waits for wheelspin to tighten things up. That is Default on my RC in 4x4. (call it open)

Rock Mode PreLoads the clutches so it locks quicker when it encounters wheelspin. (call it posi- or limited-slip)

And lock just clamps everything up as much as possible, no waiting for something to slip. (call it a spool or welded diff)

I don't know about XMR 'mud', but I would bet it's the same as rock mode with a different label.

My descriptions aren't exact so don't bust my balls... just generalizations to help understand differences. Make up your own generalizations if it works better for you.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Sounds mostly correct, maybe I'm mistaken and we know info is limited. I would'nt think the RS as an open.
I would say the response time of limited would be more accurate.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Sounds mostly correct, maybe I'm mistaken and we know info is limited. I would'nt think the RS as an open.
I would say the response time of limited would be more accurate.
I agree.

So maybe instead of Open - Posi - Spool we go Gov-Loc - Tru-Trac/Torsen - Spool/ARB/E-Locker

·
Registered
29 Posts
I bought a triple black Xrs a few weeks ago and above the start button is a Smart Lok decal. I know it doesn't have it. Do they put that decal on all of them?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Idk i doubt it, but I might start acting like I thought it came with it when you purchased it. Just kidding. That sticker you are talking about, on mine it isnt sticking well and I wouldnt put it past me some loser messed with it while it was on the showroom thinking they are funny or something.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've got the 18 black and red xrs with the smartlock. My mode switch says trail and active trail. My buddies xrc says trail and rock. If you look at the part numbers between the 2, the front diff and front diff module are the same part numbers. The only different part number is the switches.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Thats pretty much what I figured. Theres only so many things you can change, and as I understand it they are changing the clutch preload.

No preload - some preload - all preload

Put any sticker on you want, theres only so many variables.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
So XRS =Active trail, XRC = Rock and XMR = Mud? Are these three modes exactly the same, or very similar?

It seems obvious that the Trail and Lock modes are all the same.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
So XRS =Active trail, XRC = Rock and XMR = Mud? Are these three modes exactly the same, or very similar?

It seems obvious that the Trail and Lock modes are all the same.
Were you able to watch the video? I felt it explained things pretty good where I was oblivious to how it worked and differences beforehand.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I watched the video at least twice, and it does a good job of explaining how the Smart-Lok works, but there was zero info comparing the Active, Rock and Mud modes.

My question remains unanswered. Are these three modes exactly the same, or are there differences?

·
Premium Member
7,144 Posts
I've got the 18 black and red xrs with the smartlock. My mode switch says trail and active trail. My buddies xrc says trail and rock. If you look at the part numbers between the 2, the front diff and front diff module are the same part numbers. The only different part number is the switches.
This. Also see post 2. Same hardware, just differently named switches between different models

1 - 20 of 41 Posts