Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took everything apart to replace stock clutch with full STM RAGE 3. My stock clutch has blue pen marks all over it from the factory. Most noticeable is a blue arrow on my primary bolt pointing to another dot on the clutch. I am assuming the factory did this to measure slip? Anyway....they are still perfectly lined up! Also kinda strange, but there are about (10) super thin washers between the primary bolt and the clutch. is my stock clutch good? did i waste my money on RAGE 3?

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
the stock set up is fine , sum people are worried no biggie if u have the extra cash to buy clutches do it if not don't worry ,

and u should have a stud with huge nut and 2 washers u have the old style recall there is a newer recall now

but if ur gonna run stm's u don't need the recall u should have 2 new bolts

·
Registered
698 Posts
the stock set up is fine , sum people are worried no biggie if u have the extra cash to buy clutches do it if not don't worry ,

and u should have a stud with huge nut and 2 washers u have the old style recall there is a newer recall now

but if ur gonna run stm's u don't need the recall u should have 2 new bolts
Benzo my question is when I put my epi spring kit in I didn't see any markings on my top hat of my clutch . Will it mess it up if I put in on a dif way ?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So then i am assuming the RAGE 3 is everything people are saying.....night and day difference?

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Benzo my question is when I put my epi spring kit in I didn't see any markings on my top hat of my clutch . Will it mess it up if I put in on a dif way ?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
So then i am assuming the RAGE 3 is everything people are saying.....night and day difference?
Even if your stock clutch was fine, you will get a lot more performance from the rage 3.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Most conventional clutches are balanced as a unit. The Can Am primary is balanced separately (fixed sheave and moveable sheave are balanced individually) so it doesn't matter how you reinstall it due to balancing. HOWEVER, it is always a good idea to mark the moveable sheave and top cover so when you reassemble it, you are putting it back together the same way it came apart.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Even if your stock clutch was fine, you will get a lot more performance from the rage 3.
Agreed…..my stock clutches worked fine but I upgraded to the QSC/STM setup and it really woke up the machine. There are 2 primary reason for this. 1. The smaller bearing on the aftermarket primaries allow you to start in a lower gear so-to-speak. This translates into quicker starts and better initial acceleration. 2. Once you are moving, the STM secondary provides superior back shifting. This results in the ability to maintain RPM's and keep the engine revving in the heart of the power band. If you are hoping to smoke a properly setup Maverick with stock clutches…you will be disappointed because you will pull him on the hole shot and then it will be a pretty even race after that. So you will be disappointed to pay $2K for 2-3 lengths. But put them side by side on a track or in real world riding conditions where you are on and off the gas and varying the load put on the clutches and then you will see a huge difference between the stock clutches and the aftermarket clutches.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Yeah if all things even, then all you need to win a drag race is a better take off. But like you said, real world riding where your on & off the throttle a lot it will be a night & day difference.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Most conventional clutches are balanced as a unit. The Can Am primary is balanced separately (fixed sheave and moveable sheave are balanced individually) so it doesn't matter how you reinstall it due to balancing. HOWEVER, it is always a good idea to mark the moveable sheave and top cover so when you reassemble it, you are putting it back together the same way it came apart.
That's where I messed up . My buddy started ripping shit apart an we didn't mark it . Will it hurt anything . Had about 10 hrs on it

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I just checked the manual and it doesn't reference any alignment marks when assembling. So you are good to go….…….

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts