Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear nothing but horror stories of breaking tie rods or clutches going bad or belt issues. I just bought this maverick max, and going to Arkansas next month. And I need a 8 ply tire, I don't wanna go bigger on tire size. And I'm scared this thing is gonna fall apart! It's just some trail riding and some Creek crossing. Help with a stock size tire for me!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I felt the same way when I picked up my Mav. You will soon find out that these are pretty resilient rides. If you're worried about tie rods, call up AReed and order his Aluminum tie rods. You can beef up your clutch by adding a Dalton clutch kit for pretty cheap, but if you go over 28.5 tires, be sure and get the upgraded primary spring.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Not to worry...
CT Racing front chassis brace and tie rods cure that concern.
As long as the clutch update has been done, you are fine. Put it in LOW gear below 25mph.
Lots of options for stock size tires.
The Max is a great machine - go have fun in Arkansas.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Not to worry...
CT Racing front chassis brace and tie rods cure that concern.
As long as the clutch update has been done, you are fine. Put it in LOW gear below 25mph.
Lots of options for stock size tires.
The Max is a great machine - go have fun in Arkansas.
I forgot, what does the difference look like between the old and the new clutch upgrade?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just called dealership, I do not have the upgrade clutch. So I have a appointment sat to have it fixed. And I'm gonna find some 8 ply tire stock size. And hopefully I'll be set.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Also, you can contact SCOTTDMAX. He's a regular with a Mav Max
Everyone has given you some great advise here. And I also will say not to worry...been very happy with mine, and I have been running it balls out in the dunes without issue so far. In my opinion, the Dalton clutch kit upgrade is a must. (at least) And yes do the other suggested upgrades mentioned as well, then go enjoy it. The longer you own and drive it, the more confidence you will gain. Nothing is perfect, but they really are a good machine!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I just dropped a lot of cash to get this bike. So as of now, tires is the only upgrade until I recover from this bike and this vacation I'm about to travel to. So please tell me I'll be fine with a stock size 8 ply tire?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Everyone has given you some great advise here. And I also will say not to worry...been very happy with mine, and I have been running it balls out in the dunes without issue so far. In my opinion, the Dalton clutch kit upgrade is a must. (at least) And yes do the other suggested upgrades mentioned as well, then go enjoy it. The longer you own and drive it, the more confidence you will gain. Nothing is perfect, but they really are a good machine!
Off the top of your head, do you know what the upgraded clutch is supposed to look like? I keep forgetting to call the dealer to see if I need to come in for the recall.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I understand recovering from the purchase shock! You should be fine....just go out and enjoy it.

·
Banned
1,017 Posts
What horror stories are you reading? A broken tie rod??? So what spend $80 and you wont have to worry about it again. Clutches going out??? For every guy that has an issue with his clutch there are 5 others that have hundreds or thousands of miles on their stock clutch and probably still running the original belt. We all spent a lot of money up front to purchase these things but you need to plan on spending a little bit more to bullet proof em. Good luck

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
sounds like ur reading the Polaris forum talkin chit about the mav's . cuz right now the maverick max is hands down the best 4 seater out right now

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Off the top of your head, do you know what the upgraded clutch is supposed to look like? I keep forgetting to call the dealer to see if I need to come in for the recall.
The upgrade deals with the Primary clutch. Instead of a bolt with washer(s), you will see a stud using a long nut with a set screw to lock it down.

I also thought the Maxs' weren't released until after the recall had been instigated. Just pull your CV cover and have a look for what I described....should become instantly obvious.

·
Premium Member
8,476 Posts
Well you are the idiot for spending 20k and not researching your purchase.

If you would research a little you will find the fixes for the max that will make it stronger and more reliable.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Total mistake.....take it back and get a XP1K 4 seater.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :haha:

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey smart ass, I did read reviews on. It wasn't until I found the forum after I bought the bike.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts