Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

Desert Tires

31K views 70 replies 43 participants last post by  motohud 
#1 ·
Trying to get a head start on the desert season the year. Running EVO Stage 5rwi so power is not an issue. Would like to run a 33" tire. What's everyone's thoughts on what size/brand tire?

#35 ·
33" MRT got a great deal from Craig , ordered on Wednesday and received on Friday !

View attachment 238219
That is a big tire. How much do they weigh?

I think my next tire is going to be either the 32" Tensor DS or BFG. My ITP Ultracrosses are holding up really well.

#39 ·
I've been impressed with the Maxxis Liberty 32x10.5R15's so far. I put over 5000 miles on the Tensor 32" DS tire, which is a great desert racing tire; great grip on hardpack, tough sidewalls, and the lightest 32 inch tire out there. Its only downfall is its relatively short tread life and high price. We just raced the Liberties at the NORRA Mexican 1000, and went 1230 race miles on the same set of tires with no flats (Third Overall Stock Turbo UTV in a class of 25 cars). They are only a few pounds heavier than the DS tire at 38 lbs, but they perform great and last considerably longer. They have a more flexible sidewall than the DS that makes them more comfortable on square edged terrain. We ran them at 16 psi the entire race, but have run them at lower pressures when trail riding and they work really well.
Land vehicle Off-road racing Motor vehicle Desert racing Automotive tire
View attachment DSC_5271.jpg

#40 ·
I ran libertys when we pre ran the 1000 in 17 1132 miles and they stll looked like new and performed pretty good , I lost my front drive, ( elec short? ) and dident know it till I got back home so ran most of it in 2 wheel they are a good tire

#44 ·
I think the BFG and the liberty are within a pound of each other, about 39# for a 32" tire.

Speaking of Liberty tires, I was finally able to get some 32x15 tires delivered. They have been out of stock everywhere. The ones for 14" wheels are easy to find but the 15s are scarce. Finally able to get a set by going to rockymountain and ordering the stock tires from the 2020 XRC RR fiche. They aren't listed anywhere else. Took about 3 weeks to get them. I'm sure the BFG is a better tire than the liberty but unless you have a hookup they are super spendy. The liberties were 180 bucks.

#52 ·
Bfg’s run around 44#’s

Reactions: Scott F
#45 ·
on my 17 xrs i put 32" m 1 evils. i went with them because they had a full 1" of tread depth and the rep told me that they were tested here in Arizona. Kept it for 3300 miles and sold it and the tires were in very good shape. I then put a new set of them on my Polaris rs1, had 1900 miles on it before i totaled it. went back to a 19 rs have about 1500 miles on them and the tires are doing well. if i dont rotate them i expect to get around 5000 on the rear fronts will still be ok.

#50 ·
Anybody actually running these in the desert Southwest? EFX Motovator

#51 ·
I just got a set of mrt’s new 33’s from craig at proutvparts/ craigstumph and am pretty happy with the performance and weight so far a great tire

#53 ·
Someone mentioned the EFX Motohammer, which I had on my 4-seat (non-turbo) RZR and I could not believe how incredibly quickly they wore; TOTAL waste of money and literally worse than stock Big Horns. Garbage...

On my '17 X3 DS I ran the Tensor Regulators on STI beadlocks and could not have been happier with them. I had over 2K miles on them when I sold it late last year and the new owner thought they were new, I told him just to keep up on the rotations and they'll wear extremely wheel. I just put the 32-inch version of the Tensor Regulators mounted on Method 409s on my '20 X3 RS Max. I ride mainly high speed SW AZ desert and hopeful they'll work out for me as well as they did on my 2-seater.

#54 ·
I finally got my third set of 32x10R15 Liberty tires.
My second set has over 5000 miles and will be retired after I get my new set of XMX wheels for the new tires.

I weighed the new 32x10R15 Liberty tires and they averaged 37.8 lbs on the trusty bathroom scale.

CST has a new desert tire called the Apache. Maxxis also has a new desert tire coming.
These tires are more narrow, rounded, and heavy duty for desert racing.

#55 ·
I finally got my third set of 32x10R15 Liberty tires.
My second set has over 5000 miles and will be retired after I get my new set of XMX wheels for the new tires.

I weighed the new 32x10R15 Liberty tires and they averaged 37.8 lbs on the trusty bathroom scale.

CST has a new desert tire called the Apache. Maxxis also has a new desert tire coming.
These tires are more narrow, rounded, and heavy duty for desert racing.
any info on the new Maxxis tire? I would definitely be interested. Seen any teaser pics or anything?

#60 ·
bobertcom,

Did you change the clutching any? I think I may go with the Regulators or Maxxis Carnivore, I need an all terrain type tire. Those look like they fit for where I ride.

#59 ·
I didn't have any luck with Maxxis Liberty's (30x10R-14) on my RZR. One, I pinched the side wall against the wheel bead (12 PSI), the other I was haulin' a$$ down a sand-wash and tagged a small root, and it ruined the sidewall.

Since my 2019 XRC came with the same tire, I took em off before the first ride and installed KM3's (32x10R-14). I have 796 miles on them, the rears are wearing a bit faster than the front (go figure). but so far, I love them. I run 14 PSI rear, 12 PSI front. They track super straight at speed (on loose dirt and sand), and seem to absorb the rocks well. No issues what-so-ever. I'll replace them with the same tire when it's time, but I'm guessing that will be a while.

I mounted my 32" BFG KM3's on the stock XRC beadlock wheels (that's another story due to bead thickness). GREAT tires,

#62 ·
My buddy raced NORRA, which is about 1300 miles, on a set of Liberties against over 20 other cars and made the podium, no flats, and still had plenty of tread left. I have a new set I'm saving for next year's race.

Reactions: Scott F
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.