Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to get a head start on the desert season the year. Running EVO Stage 5rwi so power is not an issue. Would like to run a 33" tire. What's everyone's thoughts on what size/brand tire?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm interested in new desert tires as well, but in a 32" size. I Will be real interested to hear what people recommend.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Dunno if they come in your desired size but Ultracross are a brutally reliable tire.
Its what a lot of people on Race Desert run.
Had them on the XPT and they were tough.

·
Registered
9,291 Posts
I'm interested in new desert tires as well, but in a 32" size. I Will be real interested to hear what people recommend.
What’s your budget? Lots of options and pricing is all over the place.

Tensor DS - pricey, good tire, won’t last a lot of miles

BFG UTV tire - pricey, tough and not sure on wear

Ultracross - reasonably priced, tough and last a long time

All three are used by desert racers.

There are other good tires out there in a 32”. Liberties would be a good choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No budget just want a performing tire that has square tread profile.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I really like the Maxxis Liberty. I ride only desert, no dunes. Rock Crawling they perform well too. So far I have 1150 miles on them, including some asphalt riding to get to my favorite places and the wear has been excellent. I will replace them with the Liberty if they are still around when I need them. Lots of options for sure.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I would compare the actual tire weights and weight that in your selection process. The less weight the better the steering forces will be. If you absolutely have to have a DOT tire, look at Kanati (not sure if they have what you're looking for exactly) or Chicane. If you look for a tread pattern similar to the Liberty you'll be fine. 8 or 10 ply is preferred due to all the sharp things in the desert designed to hurt you and your car.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have 32" Mongrels on stock wheels now. I want to get away from the round tread pattern though. I am mindful of overall weight, but I don't mind pushing the limits to see how much abuse it will take. I used to race BITD/SCORE & drive my X3 no different when playing lol.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Right now I am running a 31x10.50-15 BFG KM2, these tires have been great, I ride johnson valley and ocotillo and have never had a issue, in April we did moab as well and they did great on the street and rocks also... I would look into a 33x10.50-15, that's what i am gonna run after my 31's are done.

Attachments

·
Registered
321 Posts
Trying to get a head start on the desert season the year. Running EVO Stage 5rwi so power is not an issue. Would like to run a 33" tire. What's everyone's thoughts on what size/brand tire?
I got about a month’s use out of my Bighorns; same for Arisun and Tensor; the tires that held up the best were the General red letter Mud Terrains, but 33’s are WAY too heavy - NOT fun at all.

The 31” Grabber AT2’s have held up fairly well so far and they’re about as light as the Arisun 32” and they seem to handle about the same.

I’ve got close to or more than 9,000 desert miles on the 31” Grabbers and they’ve held up nicely; a few sidewalk punctures, but Discount Tire warranties them; cost about $40 for a new one when that happens.

I’ve never actually worn a Grabber out, so I don’t really know how long they’ll last - generally (pun intended), they’ll get punched in the sidewalk before they’re half wore out, so Discount keeps me in a fresh set for around $40/per.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
106 Posts
For me, the stock Bighorns are "fair" for traction, but are not tall enough, and not very durable. I had Ultracross R-spec race tires on a 2016 Rzr XP Turbo, and I really liked them, but when I put the exact same tires on my 2017 X3 XRS I was not that impressed. Traction was pretty poor, especially in loose terrain like sand or gravel. The extra horsepower of the X3 just blew the tires off the road, and traction was inadequate. They were noticeably worse for traction than even the stock Bighorns were. Now I have a 2018 X3 XRS that has 29 more HP than the last X3 did, so I'm thinking I should go with a little bigger tire (32" instead of 31"), and a different tire than the Ultracross R Spec's I did last time.

For desert terrain, what do you guys think of the Kanati Terra Master in a 32x10.00R15 (10 ply, weighs 39.8 lbs) vs the Kanati Mongrel in a 32x10.00R15 (10 ply, weight 41.4 lbs), vs the EFX MotoHammer in the same 32x10.00R15 size (8 ply, weighs 40.5 lbs)?

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I ran the liberty tires and they ran great

Going to try out the 32 inch tensor ds and see how that goes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
300 Posts
I use the tensor regulators and they work great in the desert and very hard to puncture plus they are closes to true 32" then most, my friend bought mongals and they were barely 31" and if anyone needs them we have great prices just give us a call or message me

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Has anyone put together an excel sheet with weights for tires? I had BFG KM2 on my YXZ1000 and they did work good. I was hoping the KM3 would be an improvement and hopefully get a larger lighter spec'd tire instead of running a LT tire.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I love my 32 Tensor’s traction is amazing the older they get the better perform but I won’t recommend them if your car has steering issues they become dangers on high speeds.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Liberty 32. Great wear, grip durability.
Raced a couple 4 seater turbo razors with paddles in pismo and smoked them with the liberties. Great all around tire IMO

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
1 - 20 of 71 Posts