Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I have a 2014 Can-Am a maverick XRS with an Apache track kit. At our lake, I went over a compression ridge and put this into the water. The nose stayed up and I kept it running until I got pulled out. I actually was up over my waist in fridged water as I was on the throttle while I got pulled out. After I was finally out, it was getting dark and basically as I came out everything instantly froze. Belt was smoking and I couldn’t move so I just left it and got it today as it thawed and dried during the day. I just drive it on a trailer and have it in my garage. When I drove it on the trailer, it started and ran nice. Belt engaged good.

so I’m wondering what I should check for water ingress and how to tell?

thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2020 X3 XRS Max RR Triple Black
29 Posts
Hey Guys,

I have a 2014 Can-Am a maverick XRS with an Apache track kit. At our lake, I went over a compression ridge and put this into the water. The nose stayed up and I kept it running until I got pulled out. I actually was up over my waist in fridged water as I was on the throttle while I got pulled out. After I was finally out, it was getting dark and basically as I came out everything instantly froze. Belt was smoking and I couldn’t move so I just left it and got it today as it thawed and dried during the day. I just drive it on a trailer and have it in my garage. When I drove it on the trailer, it started and ran nice. Belt engaged good.

so I’m wondering what I should check for water ingress and how to tell?

thanks for your help.

View attachment 265825
Drain everything. Motor, diff, tranny. Replace air filter and spark plugs. Water got in somewhere. Grease everything, run it around for a bit and do it again. That’s what I would do.

·
Premium Member
11,155 Posts
Drain everything. Motor, diff, tranny. Replace air filter and spark plugs. Water got in somewhere. Grease everything, run it around for a bit and do it again. That’s what I would do.
Great answer! I'd really be worried about the bottom end, crank. Hopefully it doesn't rust, but...….

·
Registered
2020 X3 XRS Max RR Triple Black
29 Posts
Great answer! I'd really be worried about the bottom end, crank. Hopefully it doesn't rust, but...….
I had to leave my buggy in a river overnight in Nov at about 5degress out. Water got into my tranny and it took at least 5 changes to get the water out. I left the drain plug off for a few days, would add new oil run around for a few miles and repeat. Crazy how water/moisture can just hang around.

Now the story of the buggy in the river in Nov at 5degress, well that was a Polaris so.....who cares. Should have left it

·
Registered
411 Posts
what the others said.. i would easily do 3+ fluid changes to ensure all water is out of there. Grease every zerk possible

·
Registered
462 Posts
As far as the trans goes Dump a bunch of Diesel in it first to rinse it out.. Cheaper then Oil... That will get most of the water out.

·
Registered
2017 Can-am Maverick 1000r DPS
64 Posts
You got darn lucky it didn't pull water into the intake! As long as you flush everything REALLY well you should be ok. I'd also grease the wheel bearings and u-joints. Pull the plugs on the mufflers. Cooling system should be sealed pretty well, but I would at least visually inspect the canister for signs of water intrusion. Beware when buying used machines....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts