Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Silly question, but what's a good brand and style of shoe that folks are using that is comfortable and sturdy/useful enough for SxS use? Seems kind of silly, but I wouldn't want to be stuck broken down out in the hills someplace needing to hike back to civilization in my Chuck Taylors, nor would it seem particularly comfortable doing that in full-on riding boots either. I'd also want to be sure to get something that would put up with use out on the trail for hiking around or if there is some maintenance to be done on the Mav that requires some, um, 'coercion' using my feet.

Would a hiking shoe or mid-high by someone like Merrill work, or do you really want something a little more rugged/durable? What about a work or tactical boot? I saw some of the UTV stores online that offer riding gear, but wasn't sure if there's a good brand or style that is the "go-to" one.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Depends on where we're at - we vacation down in AZ and Central Oregon (desert terrain), but we may also be heading to the dunes and forest trails here at home as well (sandy/forest terrain). I know Merrill makes a good comfortable hiking shoe that would work to hike out in both types of terrain, but wasn't sure if those stand up to whatever abuse may occur out on the trail with the Mav. Which is why I was also considering work or tactical boots instead. Just wasn't sure how comfortable those would be to hike in is all.

·
Premium Member
2019 x3 Xds R
293 Posts
Winter, I wear Klim sled boots. Fall and spring, muck boots. Above 50, ASICS unless muddy or raining. Then muck boots again.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Winter, I wear Klim sled boots. Fall and spring, muck boots. Above 50, ASICS unless muddy or raining. Then muck boots again.
Good call on the seasonal wear - hadn't really considered that per se. Obviously the ventilated Merrell hiking shoes aren't going to be real practical trudging through snow and mud.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I haven't really paid that much attention to having more choices for a shoes to wear on atv. I might check some online and hopefully find a good one on a discount.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ended up ordering a pair of Columbia Granite Ridge waterproof hiking shoes - it sounds like Merrell may have changed the Moab 2 recently and they're not as good as the original Moab's. I'll give them a try, hopefully they're good and comfortable as well as being durable/tough.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I wear a pair of Danner boots in Desert Tan that my son gave me when he got out of the Marines. They are comfortable and give me good feel on the gas and brake when driving. I also have the Merrell Moabs. They are good, too. They are lighter and better for walking. On long rides I like the heavier boots because they protect my feet and support my ankles better from the jostling and bouncing around that happens. Sounds like you made a good choice. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
I mostly wear a pair of Lowa mid-rise hiking boots. (Desert Tan). I've got crappy ankles/knees and want all the support I can get if I need to hoof it out...

·
Registered
9,240 Posts
Go to the shoe store, buy something you would be comfortable hiking in, done. I don't see why it needs to be more complicated than that
It is the internet everything is complicated. LOL!

I know Tim wears rainbow colored unicorn shoes. They seem to work for him. LMAO!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts