Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up guys, ive been debating on making the swap. First and for most I love the way the terms ride on hard pack and through trails but I just feel I dont get the good bite while in mud/holes. Ive always run outlaws but wanted to try something a little different and didnt want to give up way to much ground clearance making the transition so I figured the 32" backs would be a good route. I'm just looking for any input/opinions or experience on this, ive never really heard anything bad about the backs other than they dig and to me thats got alot to do with how your throttling the bike in whichever situation. Thanks for the input... I have a Mav 3" S3 lift 34" terms fyi...

·
Registered
791 Posts
I would wait, someone is going to come out with a larger pure mud tire in 15". It is only a matter of time.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think ive decided to go ahead and go back to the trusty 31" laws, so ive got two rides on my terms that im going to put up for sale with MSA diesels...

·
Registered
95 Posts
What about 29.5 Outlaw 2's? I have a buddy that I ride with that has practically tried them all and swears by the OL2's. He's said they ride similar to a 31OL but hookup better.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What about 29.5 Outlaw 2's? I have a buddy that I ride with that has practically tried them all and swears by the OL2's. He's said they ride similar to a 31OL but hookup better.
I like them but I want a larger size tire, the 29.5 2s are just not tall enough.

·
Registered
26 Posts
would like to see a picture of it with the 3in lift and 34 terms. im running 29.5 outlaw 1s on mine, dont scrub any but im thinking about going with a lift for more some clearance

·
Registered
468 Posts
Im running 30's but am installing a 3" lift and lightening up the shocks to allow for a smoother ride and suspension articulation without sacrificing any ground clearance

·
Registered
144 Posts
Justin if you don't have a clutch it's a must. Before switching get a primary, secondary and then see how you like the tires. You'll be able to clean the terms out better which is what they need.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BayouBogger, I see you have the Monsters and thats what I'm ending up going with since everyone is out of the other tires and wont have any in until after the next ride I go on. How do you like them? Ive read some really good reviews on them and Ive got a buddy who has them and loves them, went on a ride with him a few weeks ago and they seemed to perform pretty well.

Fuzzie, you have a point but that being said if they dont clean out fairly easy now then that in itself makes me want to change. The clutch kit would be a good addition but if the way im looking at it your referring to cleaning out easier with added throttle response and I see that as an axle breaker. I try to ease through the thick crap and avoid that.

·
Registered
468 Posts
BayouBogger, I see you have the Monsters and thats what I'm ending up going with since everyone is out of the other tires and wont have any in until after the next ride I go on. How do you like them? Ive read some really good reviews on them and Ive got a buddy who has them and loves them, went on a ride with him a few weeks ago and they seemed to perform pretty well.

Fuzzie, you have a point but that being said if they dont clean out fairly easy now then that in itself makes me want to change. The clutch kit would be a good addition but if the way im looking at it your referring to cleaning out easier with added throttle response and I see that as an axle breaker. I try to ease through the thick crap and avoid that.
i like them alot, they pull really hard. the lugs are deeper than a 30" back and also they roll out on the side wall more. The downfalls however are if you dont have power steering they are pretty rough due to the lug spacing. But a world of difference with powersteering. And 2, the torque the mav is putting out is starting to seperate the lug from the tire at the base of the lug. I run in 4wd most of the time and its doing it to all 4 tires.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Damn that doesnt sound good, you know now that you mention that ive heard the same thing happening with the backs as well. Well you just through me for a loop now I dont know wtf I should do lol...

·
Registered
144 Posts

Well a clutch is a must whether you are running a 27" tire or a 34" tire so it's a win win in that aspect. As far as breaking axles under more throttle I'd say yes and no. The only time I ever broke an axle is when I was trying to creep with the wheel turned and things were in a bind. I should have known better. This is just my experience but the first thing I'd do is a primary and secondary.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well a clutch is a must whether you are running a 27" tire or a 34" tire so it's a win win in that aspect. As far as breaking axles under more throttle I'd say yes and no. The only time I ever broke an axle is when I was trying to creep with the wheel turned and things were in a bind. I should have known better. This is just my experience but the first thing I'd do is a primary and secondary.
I would really like to do the primary, Ive just go alot of things I would like to do prior to dropping over a grand on one. Just ordered the sport mode low switch for the bike so I'm going to see how much that helps, a clutch is for sure though in the near future no doubt about that.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I would really like to do the primary, Ive just go alot of things I would like to do prior to dropping over a grand on one. Just ordered the sport mode low switch for the bike so I'm going to see how much that helps, a clutch is for sure though in the near future no doubt about that.
Oh no doubt the LRSM is a great mod. Actually before I had 2 miles on my maverick I took it to Kris and installed that switch. Here is a video of a commander with lrsm racing me in just low alone. He just about beat me haha. He had 29.5 ol2's at that. It's impressive. He also had QSC and STM. My mav was bone stock.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ndmfqb716x1qqoq/Grey Ghost vs Chads Maverick (1).mp4

Here is one where the mav didn't fair so well. Same tire size and a 4" slc lift other than that the maverick was stock. Kinda evened the playing field a bit.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bq5c0y520ykrjoq/2013-02-24_15-55-23_62.mp4

Kinda off topic but maverick and commander racing videos are always cool haha

·
Registered
54 Posts
Damn that doesnt sound good, you know now that you mention that ive heard the same thing happening with the backs as well. Well you just through me for a loop now I dont know wtf I should do lol...
Get some 30" outlaw radials and u will never look back. Promise.. I have them in my mav and they are hands down the best tire I have ever owned... ride is perfect... they pull great no matter what the situation is... I've owned every tire that out there and I will never by anything else.. even with the stock clutch the mav will spin the sh#& out of them.. I've followed my brothers xxc 1000 everywhere and he has 29.5 2's.. guys we all know that in the end wheel speed wins.. if u can't spinem u just can't hang.. 34's really!!! Not gonna get much wheel speed out of those... I don't care what kind of clutch work u do.. even if u do get to where u can spin them something is gonna break... axle maybe? Sure then we will try the gorilla axle then.. OK when we do that guess what snap there goes the rear diff or sub trans.. I. Could go on and on. But my point is there is always a weak link there.. and when u get into those massive size tires like that its gonna happen... but on the other hand the 30" radial is not so freaking big that h have to drop 1500 in a 20000 $ .machine just so u turn the tires over.. and its not so freaking rough on hard pack that it wears out all your steering joints on the way to the mud hole.. each to his own... I'll take the 30" radials over any tire out there.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Get some 30" outlaw radials and u will never look back. Promise.. I have them in my mav and they are hands down the best tire I have ever owned... ride is perfect... they pull great no matter what the situation is... I've owned every tire that out there and I will never by anything else.. even with the stock clutch the mav will spin the sh#& out of them.. I've followed my brothers xxc 1000 everywhere and he has 29.5 2's.. guys we all know that in the end wheel speed wins.. if u can't spinem u just can't hang.. 34's really!!! Not gonna get much wheel speed out of those... I don't care what kind of clutch work u do.. even if u do get to where u can spin them something is gonna break... axle maybe? Sure then we will try the gorilla axle then.. OK when we do that guess what snap there goes the rear diff or sub trans.. I. Could go on and on. But my point is there is always a weak link there.. and when u get into those massive size tires like that its gonna happen... but on the other hand the 30" radial is not so freaking big that h have to drop 1500 in a 20000 $ .machine just so u turn the tires over.. and its not so freaking rough on hard pack that it wears out all your steering joints on the way to the mud hole.. each to his own... I'll take the 30" radials over any tire out there.
I would like to try the 30" radials as well but can't get over the fact that they cost more and weigh more than 31's. Hard to justify. 31's are a better lighter mud tire and they handle decent

·
Registered
54 Posts
I would like to try the 30" radials as well but can't get over the fact that they cost more and weigh more than 31's. Hard to justify. 31's are a better lighter mud tire and they handle decent
They are heavier and cost more.. but the fact is you are buying a more versatile tire. It can do it all... had the 31's. Great tire for pure mud bogging but that's about it.. my point being is u get what u pay for. Can not wear these tires out.. got a friend that has them on his samri and he drives this thing all over town.. the longevity of the radial is crazy..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts